SiouxSports.com Forum

Goon

So...we will have a terrible season. It will be attributed to being "young" and will be thought of as an anomaly based on Hak's track record. Next season we will bring in a super talented class and their talent will be so great that they will overcome the system and we will make a tourney run only to fall short on a flat performance.

Great coaches get the most out of their players. The only time I have seen Hak get the most out of the team he has was the injury year winning the Final Five. That was the most out of a team for one tournament.

so how does blais do it?

he doesn't have a 105 million recruiting gem...doesn't have an ulimited budget...I bet their team rides with equipment instead on the equipment going on an empty bus,

How does Blais do what, beat North Dakota one time?

• Upvote 1

yeah I'm jealous of all the success he has had at omaha, what one trip to the ncaa and was bounced in the first round. and don't forget the post season conference tournamnet run he is on, three straight first round exits if memory serves. that is the definition of a dynasty if I have ever seen one.

It could easily be said that Blais has laid an egg at UNO.

He has and it has been said... There is no doubt Hak can recruit but our storied history and our barn with all that comes with it has a lot to do with that as well. You need to get the most out of your players no matter how talented. Here on SS there seems to be two types, the type that think Hak has issues and call for his head and then those that blindly follow and bring up the successes of the Hak era. My feeling is that we as fans have every right to question the coaches ability. Especially when a team this talented is under-performing as much as they are. It's a shame what's going on right now. Every team has it's ups and down but this team's main problems lie in lack of effort for huge portions of the game.

• Upvote 2

He has and it has been said... There is no doubt Hak can recruit but our storied history and our barn with all that comes with it has a lot to do with that as well. You need to get the most out of your players no matter how talented. Here on SS there seems to be two types, the type that think Hak has issues and call for his head and then those that blindly follow and bring up the successes of the Hak era. My feeling is that we as fans have every right to question the coaches ability. Especially when a team this talented is under-performing as much as they are. It's a shame what's going on right now. Every team has it's ups and down but this team's main problems lie in lack of effort for huge portions of the game.

Very good post. I'd +1 it more than once if I could.

You may be right, and it sure looks like this team is often a step late getting to the puck, but I think it's just as much about our guys always reacting to instead of dictating play, and that is not necessarily form lack of effort. They haven't found a style or scheme that fits them yet.

You may be right, and it sure looks like this team is often a step late getting to the puck, but I think it's just as much about our guys always reacting to instead of dictating play, and that is not necessarily form lack of effort. They haven't found a style or scheme that fits them yet.

You are right as well... It's the coaches job to get the scheme that fits the players. And it is also Hak's job to get the effort out of the guys. Listen, I know players take shifts off time to time and we can't always be firing on all cylinders but I can't remember when our boys have put in a complete game. A team like this needs to come to work every night and every shift, and it's Hak's job to make sure that happens.

• Upvote 1

So...we will have a terrible season. It will be attributed to being "young" and will be thought of as an anomaly based on Hak's track record. Next season we will bring in a super talented class and their talent will be so great that they will overcome the system and we will make a tourney run only to fall short on a flat performance.

Man, what a downer. I guess we have no reason to watch for the next couple years. Too bad.

What are your thoughts on the following year? Hopefully we can tune back in that year.

:D

No, you have a third type as well, those that continually express how bad Hakstol is, but say "I'm not in the fire Hak crowd." So if we are continually underperforming as you suggest, what crowd do you fall in?

The game was a good game. I come from MD and root for Terps basketball and all things MD along with UND. UMDCP basketball has had very few coaches and even some of the best like Gary Williams had bad years. The opposition to him is similar to Hak, and Gary only won one Natty with less talented players.(Got to the tourney a lot). Point is, is both men are coaching greats, and like Gary, Dave should leave on his own terms whenever he wants. We live in the NCAA's thanks to him. He has done a lot for this program and one bad stretch wont change it. Also tonight was a hard fought effort that will hopefully start a rise to the top.

• Upvote 1

No, you have a third type as well, those that continually express how bad Hakstol is, but say "I'm not in the fire Hak crowd." So if we are continually underperforming as you suggest, what crowd do you fall in?

I would say I agree with your third type and would fall into that classification. I don't think Hak should be fired, however, he has to change something because his teams have been lacking motivation (obvious) for at least two years now. We'll see what happens I guess.

Bottom line...for all the NHL draft picks this team has it doesn't correlate into top notch college hockey execution on the ice...especially for the system they are forced to play in.

in relation, how can you have 15 NHL draft picks and be lacking skill up front?

Bottom line...for all the NHL draft picks this team has it doesn't correlate into top notch college hockey execution on the ice...especially for the system they are forced to play in.

Hmnnnnnnn...sounds like that Herb Brooks guy was onto something in about '78-'79...

Fire Hak? Good grief, all over again. If indeed we were bad, we could always go from bad to worse. And then we could play against his team when someone picks him up. Denver & BU were recently replacing coaches. How would you like to look across the rink & instead of seeing G-Woz with the Pioneers, seeing Hak. Sure I want another national title ... and another ... and ... ... but in the meantime it's been a helluva ride and a helluva lotta fun watching Sioux kids play in the pros.

(I just read the first post, ARGH! Satire you say? ... channelling Roseanne Rosannadanna, "Never mind.")