SiouxSports.com Forum

Goon

Did you guys see how QU and Yale won, they won by playig a physical brand of hockey and being hard to play against.

in the last month of the season we were hard to play against once(tech sunday night). in previous seasons we were hard to play against almost every game coming down the stretch. this years team didn't have that "edge". we were never forcing our game upon the opponent, we were getting sucked into their game.

I have read about 8 pages today as I had a computer password issue. During this long drive to St. Cloud /MSP for hockey some thoughts occurred to me that I would like to bring to the board. Keep in mind, I am not a great hockey mind, I have only played pick up hockey, but I love the sport and the Fighting Sioux.

Could the Ralph be detrimental? Does the outrageous fan support that they get become noticeably absent at regionals? Might be a stretch, but I wanted to throw it out there.

It has been mentioned that the program has become a stopping ground for NHLers. This makes me wonder if the Yale boys knew deep down that this could be their last hurrah? I am sure our players were focused and knew the season was on the line, but deep down did they feel it?

The game has changed. When I started watching, I heard a lot about them damn east coach refs that wanted "girls" hockey. I heard how tough we are to play against, might have even been called goons. Seem like at all levels of hockey there is a push to make it safer for the players. Could it be that the "east" caught on to this trend before the "west"? Maybe that is why our refs have been so "poor". They are calling the game as they are told, "safer" "girly" or whatever they want to label it, BUT the refs are as old school as the players. They see Mac lay out a player and know the league "powers" or NCAA want it called and go with it?

Dump & Chase, if I am wrong please correct me, is most effective when played with an edge toward violence and hitting. If your players have to watch their hits, then the edge has been dulled. Now if you take it further, are the recruits being asked to change their style from "edgy" to NCAA compliant?

Wish we were playing tomorrow, but I will back UND and the head coach until the dirt lands on my face.

I have no doubt the small crowds played into Yale and Niagra's favor in the regionals. Those two schools are used to playing in front of 1000-3000 people whereas Minnesota and UND play in front of 10,000 people on blizzardy nights in January and February and had just played there last games in front of 17,000-18,000 at the X. I do believe the small regional crowds favor the lesser teams but with that said the more talented team should win the majority of time no matter where the game is played. You should be able to get up for a regional final if it was played in front of zero fans when your season is on the line.

in the last month of the season we were hard to play against once(tech sunday night). in previous seasons we were hard to play against almost every game coming down the stretch. this years team didn't have that "edge". we were never forcing our game upon the opponent, we were getting sucked into their game.

I don't think this year's team had a "game" to force upon the opponent. The lines were being changed so often and there was so little consistency that a team identity never got a chance to be established.

Did you notice the Yale-UMass refs were our own (inconsistent) Lil Shep (Brad) and Anderson?

They were in Yale-favored swallow-the-whistle mode late, after calling several minor incidents early.

Yale really responded to the allowed physical side, but UMass did/could not figure it out.

I have read about 8 pages today as I had a computer password issue. During this long drive to St. Cloud /MSP for hockey some thoughts occurred to me that I would like to bring to the board. Keep in mind, I am not a great hockey mind, I have only played pick up hockey, but I love the sport and the Fighting Sioux.

Could the Ralph be detrimental? Does the outrageous fan support that they get become noticeably absent at regionals? Might be a stretch, but I wanted to throw it out there.

It has been mentioned that the program has become a stopping ground for NHLers. This makes me wonder if the Yale boys knew deep down that this could be their last hurrah? I am sure our players were focused and knew the season was on the line, but deep down did they feel it?

The game has changed. When I started watching, I heard a lot about them damn east coach refs that wanted "girls" hockey. I heard how tough we are to play against, might have even been called goons. Seem like at all levels of hockey there is a push to make it safer for the players. Could it be that the "east" caught on to this trend before the "west"? Maybe that is why our refs have been so "poor". They are calling the game as they are told, "safer" "girly" or whatever they want to label it, BUT the refs are as old school as the players. They see Mac lay out a player and know the league "powers" or NCAA want it called and go with it?

Dump & Chase, if I am wrong please correct me, is most effective when played with an edge toward violence and hitting. If your players have to watch their hits, then the edge has been dulled. Now if you take it further, are the recruits being asked to change their style from "edgy" to NCAA compliant?

Wish we were playing tomorrow, but I will back UND and the head coach until the dirt lands on my face.

Dump and chase is not an offensive system, but rather an entry strategy. When you do dump and chase, what you need to do is win footraces to the puck more so than issue a punishing check- although if you lose the race, you need to finish your check. It is generally not the preferred system of entry, but used when you are not attacking with numbers or speed, and the defense has numbers and/or is well positioned.

The cycle on the other hand is an offensive system built on wearing down an oppositions defense physically. The idea being that tired bodies result in tired minds, and tired minds and bodies make mistakes. I'm personally a much bigger fan of positional offensive zone play or even the triangle. To me, the cycle spends too much time in areas from which you can't score (i.e. behind the goal line) it also results in 3 forwards on one side of the ice...I hate that!

Did you notice the Yale-UMass refs were our own (inconsistent) Lil Shep (Brad) and Anderson?

They were in Yale-favored swallow-the-whistle mode late, after calling several minor incidents early.

Yale really responded to the allowed physical side, but UMass did/could not figure it out.

The Bobcats took it to the Huskies as well though, they played a physical brand of hockey.

Dump and chase is not an offensive system, but rather an entry strategy. When you do dump and chase, what you need to do is win footraces to the puck more so than issue a punishing check- although if you lose the race, you need to finish your check. It is generally not the preferred system of entry, but used when you are not attacking with numbers or speed, and the defense has numbers and/or is well positioned.

The cycle on the other hand is an offensive system built on wearing down an oppositions defense physically. The idea being that tired bodies result in tired minds, and tired minds and bodies make mistakes. I'm personally a much bigger fan of positional offensive zone play or even the triangle. To me, the cycle spends too much time in areas from which you can't score (i.e. behind the goal line) it also results in 3 forwards on one side of the ice...I hate that!

Nice summary - seems to me like we are looking a lot to dump and chase first, carry it in second. Maybe it is my blind spot, but our continual cycle drives me nuts. I understand the theory and have seen it work ok, but to me its time has come and gone. I don't see this carrying us to #8. I feel about this about like I feel about the 3 yards and a cloud of dust football offense - can it be effective - even demoralizing - you bet. Can you be successful at the highest level and compete with a team like Oregon - not so much. Sad to say, but it looks like the old WCHA is becoming like Big 10 football - not quite with the times and it shows. Since the all WCHA final it has been steadily downhill.

Did you guys see how QU and Yale won, they won by playig a physical brand of hockey and being hard to play against.

Ehhhh...Maybe QU, but not Yale. Lowell was more physical I thought and had much bigger hits. Yale just executed their game plan much better and was much quicker to loose pucks.

Ehhhh...Maybe QU, but not Yale. Lowell was more physical I thought and had much bigger hits. Yale just executed their game plan much better and was much quicker to loose pucks.

That's exactly what I saw too. I was wondering what game some other posters here were watching. Yale looked like a MUCH quicker team.

That's exactly what I saw too. I was wondering what game some other posters here were watching. Yale looked like a MUCH quicker team.

Both teams played a very up tempo and physical get on top of the opposition and in the shooting lanes. Both teams were very hard to play against, this is one thing that Hakstol talks about his teams doing. True QU had more of the bit hits. But I think I also think that was amplified by the fact that SCSU doesn't play that style very well. One thing I do like about the ECAC, is that they still play the physical game, emphasis on still. I am sick and tired of the refs in hockey punishing the legal big hits.

Edited by Goon

Its about fast hockey. Fast feet, fast reactions- all three zones. Pressure the puck carrier jump the passing lanes and outlets. Move your feet, move the puck. You can never be fast enough. We were not fast enough this year- some guys are fast in a footrace, but didn't make fast passes or fast decisions. Its like my coach used to say- if you make a mistake, I'm okay with it if its fastand hard. We played too cautious, not fast enough, not reckless enough (unless you count running into the goalie as reckless- I'm thinking reckless abandon, not reckless stupidity)

I've yet to meet a fan who had a direct impact on an NCAA tournament or championship game. I think the fan aspect is a bit over-rated.

Ask one of the Yale kids what his goal is and the reply is likely to be 'to win an NCAA title.'

Ask a Minnesota or North Dakota kid what his goal is and the likely answer is 'to make the NHL.'

That's my two cents.

Add having a real nice office, house, salary, 2 1/2 kids in a good prep school, and a nice weekend place. It would be interesting to see in 20 years where the Yale guys are compared to the other 15 teams in the tourney. Yale guys are not thinking about playing in the NHL. They are thinking about being agents, lawyers, or the owners of the team. Like the old joke. You go to Silo Tech in Fargo to work on the farm. You go to UND to own the farm. Same thing here. Except here you go to UND to play on a team and you go to Yale to own the team.

Add having a real nice office, house, salary, 2 1/2 kids in a good prep school, and a nice weekend place. It would be interesting to see in 20 years where the Yale guys are compared to the other 15 teams in the tourney. Yale guys are not thinking about playing in the NHL. They are thinking about being agents, lawyers, or the owners of the team. Like the old joke. You go to Silo Tech in Fargo to work on the farm. You go to UND to own the farm. Same thing here. Except here you go to UND to play on a team and you go to Yale to own the team.

Where does the other 1/2 kid go to school?