SiouxSports.com Forum

Goon

I see Mario scored 2 more goals last night in the ECHL playoffs. Maybe Hak should be fired due to the fact he totally mismanaged an offensive sniping stud like Mario for 4 years! ;)

I see Mario scored 2 more goals last night in the ECHL playoffs. Maybe Hak should be fired due to the fact he totally mismanaged an offensive sniping stud like Mario for 4 years! ;)

Who ever would have expected this? One would have thought that he would have been used as a checking forward/penalty killer. Which he would be great at. Now he is a scoring sensation?

Who ever would have expected this? One would have thought that he would have been used as a checking forward/penalty killer. Which he would be great at. Now he is a scoring sensation?

Can any recall a total offensive transformation by a player in any pro ranks from UND like Mario?

and weren't we like almost unbeaten in his career when he scored a goal?

Mario scored three goals in his last four games as a Sioux, all against Minnesota. Maybe he was a late bloomer. He spent most of his career skating against fourth lines. If he was a scoring machine at that time, he should have been scoring more goals against other teams fourth lines. He was clearly an asset in the role he played, but he never showed the ability to be a top scorer in the NCAA.

I talked to a former Sioux player once who played in the ECHL for a few years. He said "all you need to know about that league is to look at the stats I put up at UND and then the stats I put up in the ECHL". Basically his offensive numbers were way up in the ECHL. He said it was much harder to score at the D1 level.

Nothing against Mario. He's obviously having a great year. But it's not a total surprise either.

No. Better goalies, dmen, forwards, etc.. The E is really good hockey. Lots of real good college players and major junior players. People here would really enjoy watching an E game.

I have been to quite a few ECHL games over the last 7 or 8 years and I would have to agree. While some of the name hockey schools like UND, U of M, BC, Michigan, etc. might have a line or 2 with more top end talent than the top lines in the ECHL, it is made up for in maturity and the 3rd and 4th lines in the ECHL are going to feature a lot crisper passing and quicker decision making and the D-men is in my opinion where it really seperates with the consistency of accurate breakout passes. I think Mario is benefitting from being on the ice with players who are more mature and developed fundamentally and Mario isn't afraid to stick his nose in the tough areas.

I talked to a former Sioux player once who played in the ECHL for a few years. He said "all you need to know about that league is to look at the stats I put up at UND and then the stats I put up in the ECHL". Basically his offensive numbers were way up in the ECHL. He said it was much harder to score at the D1 level.

Nothing against Mario. He's obviously having a great year. But it's not a total surprise either.

Opposite of what a recent UND captain told me a couple of weeks ago about the E.

I have been to quite a few ECHL games over the last 7 or 8 years and I would have to agree. While some of the name hockey schools like UND, U of M, BC, Michigan, etc. might have a line or 2 with more top end talent than the top lines in the ECHL, it is made up for in maturity and the 3rd and 4th lines in the ECHL are going to feature a lot crisper passing and quicker decision making and the D-men is in my opinion where it really seperates with the consistency of accurate breakout passes. I think Mario is benefitting from being on the ice with players who are more mature and developed fundamentally and Mario isn't afraid to stick his nose in the tough areas.

This is probably true, but I recall some, including myself, wondering if Mario could score on a breakway with no goalie in place while at UND. His offensive explosion in the E is mindboggling to me. Never would have guess he would put up these type of numbers after watching him at UND for 4 years. Kudos to him.

I talked to a former Sioux player once who played in the ECHL for a few years. He said "all you need to know about that league is to look at the stats I put up at UND and then the stats I put up in the ECHL".

Hmnnn...sounds like Hakstol is not properly coaching the offense? :lol:

Darn good games to watch are they not?

Darn good games to watch are they not?

Yes. They are great. Went to several Florida Everblades games over the years when visiting my brother in Naples....Nice arena....if the dominos ever start flipping and college hockey starts adding teams look for Florida Gulf Coast University to take a look at it....yes the same school that made a splash in NCAA basketball this season....they have fielded 2 club teams for years with quite a bit of success.

Yes. They are great. Went to several Florida Everblades games over the years when visiting my brother in Naples....Nice arena....if the dominos ever start flipping and college hockey starts adding teams look for Florida Gulf Coast University to take a look at it....yes the same school that made a splash in NCAA basketball this season....they have fielded 2 club teams for years with quite a bit of success.

I have really enjoyed watching the LV Wranglers in Vegas. Do you think they are one or two steps faster than the college game?

I have really enjoyed watching the LV Wranglers in Vegas. Do you think they are one or two steps faster than the college game?

My main basis for comparison is watching UND and other WCHA teams so am a little spoiled with guys that sometimes go right to NHL or AHL from college....where I think the big difference in speed and especially consistency is the 3rd and 4th line guys in the ECHL who would be 1st and 2nd line guys at most colleges and especially on the back end with how the defensemen and forwards attack the puck carriers and also how quickly they move the puck. Overall I would say they are a step, maybe a step and 1/2 quicker.

My main basis for comparison is watching UND and other WCHA teams so am a little spoiled with guys that sometimes go right to NHL or AHL from college....where I think the big difference in speed and especially consistency is the 3rd and 4th line guys in the ECHL who would be 1st and 2nd line guys at most colleges and especially on the back end with how the defensemen and forwards attack the puck carriers and also how quickly they move the puck. Overall I would say they are a step, maybe a step and 1/2 quicker.

Same thing I thought. They are more than one but less than two. College hockey fans I think would love watching the ECHL games. Prices are great also. In Vegas if you walk up carrying a plastic cup of beer they let you in with it. Free parking with a huge parking lot and a ramp.

This is probably true, but I recall some, including myself, wondering if Mario could score on a breakway with no goalie in place while at UND. His offensive explosion in the E is mindboggling to me. Never would have guess he would put up these type of numbers after watching him at UND for 4 years. Kudos to him.

Hakstol is the 'Dean Smith' of college hockey...(it was said that Dean Smith, who coached Michael Jordan at UNC, was the only coach who could keep Jordan under 20 points a game :))

Hakstol is the 'Dean Smith' of college hockey...(it was said that Dean Smith, who coached Michael Jordan at UNC, was the only coach who could keep Jordan under 20 points a game :))

Dean got a Natty w Jordan. Just saying...

Of all UND players to have gone pro at any level, Mario would have been one of the last I would have guessed in "Who is going to break out offensively when they go pro?"

Again mindboggling...just like when I went to get groceries Saturday and now they have Mega Stuff Oreos. And I thought the Double Stuff concept was absolutely genius!!! :)