SiouxSports.com Forum

UND 2013-14 season

Frozen4sioux

So losing one's driver's license because one gets caught speeding excessively a few times is bad luck as well?? Since when did breaking the law and the fact that getting caught institute "bad luck". I tend to drive too fast, and I know it, but I also know if I get pulled over there will be consequences, yet if I get caught I don't think it's "bad luck" that resolves me of my own personal responsibility. Again for Zane and Bryn, it's been twice in 9 months.

C'mon, Oxbow6, this is America! You know, the land where nobody accepts personal responsibility and everyone deserves special treatment.

• Upvote 1

You have what 4,000 underage kids on the campus and how few get minors in a year? Yeah I would say bad luck.

It is probably closer to 6500 underage kids on campus, most don't turn 21 until there Junior year. I remember when I got a minor while I was in college at UND, I had to go to some alcohol class sponsored by the school. There were about 90 students there taking the same class as me. All 90 of the students got a minor on the same day, granted it was a gameday vs the Gophers but still.

You almost have to wonder if the decision to write them up came before or after the cop looked at their ids?

Attitudes like this are part of the problem. If you are a good officer of the law, it doesn't matter who they are. Why would we put hockey team members above any other student. If they are breaking the law, they are breaking the law.

The players are underage, were drinking, and got caught. How do the police factor into this at all? They broke the law. Their actions are what caused this, not the police.

This...^^^^^^^.

Do you have any proof to back up your claim? The players are underage, were drinking, and got caught. How do the police factor into this at all? They broke the law. Their actions are what caused this, not the police.

False. Everything is a conspiracy. Everyone is out to get us.

You almost have to wonder if the decision to write them up came before or after the cop looked at their ids?

When I was underage I got questioned and handed my ID to the cops 3 times. I guarantee that if I was a hockey player I would have gotten a minor at least one of those times. I think some cops probably think that if they write the players up, then they can't be accused of giving special treatment.

• Upvote 1

Do you have any proof to back up your claim? The players are underage, were drinking, and got caught. How do the police factor into this at all? They broke the law. Their actions are what caused this, not the police.

How many kids walk away without minors all the time? Young cops in GF are nothing like the old cops were. That's why all of them want to be on the SWAT team. By the way that is what my old neighbor told me and he was a LT. and now the chief in Red Wing.

I do find it interesting that we don't see, or hear a lot of this going on elsewhere. Either there isn't much of it going on, they are more discrete in their drinking, it is more often overlooked by police and/or administration, or it isn't reported in the media like it is here. We know that it is going on elsewhere, so some of the rest must hold true, and if that is the case, are they any more saintly because they don't get caught? Schlossman has pretty much proven to guys like Hammy, that it gets reported here, and a ton of stuff that has gone down in Minneapolis hasn't seen the light of day. They need to clean it up here, but I suspect that is the case a lot of places, except it isn't spotlighted or caught. "For there is nothing hidden that will not be disclosed, and nothing concealed that will not be known or brought out into the open". (Luke 8:17)

I do find it interesting that we don't see, or hear a lot of this going on elsewhere. Either there isn't much of it going on, they are more discrete in their drinking, it is more often overlooked by police and/or administration, or it isn't reported in the media like it is here. We know that it is going on elsewhere, so some of the rest must hold true, and if that is the case, are they any more saintly because they don't get caught? Schlossman has pretty much proven to guys like Hammy, that it gets reported here, and a ton of stuff that has gone down in Minneapolis hasn't seen the light of day. They need to clean it up here, but I suspect that is the case a lot of places, except it isn't spotlighted or caught. "For there is nothing hidden that will not be disclosed, and nothing concealed that will not be known or brought out into the open".

It goes on but the kids blend in....they don't in GF.

You have what 4,000 underage kids on the campus and how few get minors in a year? Yeah I would say bad luck.

You'd be surprised at the large amount of minors that are actually given at UND. I'd say about 150 of my personal friends got them (In fact, this party at UND was my friends: http://www.wdaz.com/event/article/id/3515/). I never got one because I wasn't stupid.

It goes on but the kids blend in....they don't in GF.

If I called the cops for minors in a bar in MPLs, the Gophs would have some problems.

Like you said, it's easier to get away with these kind of things in places like Minneapolis, Denver, Boston, etc because cops aren't on mainly party patrol every weekend. It's easier to hide.

It's a shame the apologists are out in full force... yeah kids make mistakes, yeah college kids drink... UND hockey players, especially ones on scollies need to adhere to a higher standard. If you decide to drink, you better be damn sure you don't get caught. And when you do get caught, be ready to accept responsibility for your actions. I fully expect Hak to give Gothberg and Chyzyk the three strikes and you're out talk, as he very well should.

• Upvote 1

It's a shame the apologists are out in full force... yeah kids make mistakes, yeah college kids drink... UND hockey players, especially ones on scollies need to adhere to a higher standard. If you decide to drink, you better be damn sure you don't get caught. And when you do get caught, be ready to accept responsibility for your actions. I fully expect Hak to give Gothberg and Chyzyk the three strikes and you're out talk, as he very well should.

Not apologizing for anybody, but to say that it is o.k. if you don't get caught just enables those disposed to doing it, thinking "I'm not the one that will get caught." The point is they got caught, but doesn't make them any worse than the ones who didn't, except in the eyes of the law.

• Upvote 2

The idea that Gopher players aren't also held under a microscope just isn't true. Has a local GF news station ever done an undercover expose at campus bars using tiny hidden cameras to catch underage hockey players drinking? I didn't think so. The idea that this keeps happening in Grand Forks simply because of the size of the town is a weak built-in excuse.

I'm not apologizing for anyone either...however, you have to look at the crime itself. I thought when these kids were caught earlier in the year...all passed out and had to be taken to the hospital, that was a big deal. A simple minor is really nothing other than an explanation to a future employer. I have had my fair share of minors and they were all a joke. If you are a responsible person and can handle yourself appropriately they are simply bad luck instances. If you're the drunkest guy at the party and constantly making a fool of yourself that is a whole separate issue.

The idea that Gopher players aren't also held under a microscope just isn't true. Has a local GF news station ever done an undercover expose at campus bars using tiny hidden cameras to catch underage hockey players drinking? I didn't think so. The idea that this keeps happening in Grand Forks simply because of the size of the town is a weak built-in excuse.

Haha....I was at Blarney's with those Goph players a year before they were caught.

I'm not apologizing for anyone either...however, you have to look at the crime itself. I thought when these kids were caught earlier in the year...all passed out and had to be taken to the hospital, that was a big deal. A simple minor is really nothing other than an explanation to a future employer. I have had my fair share of minors and they were all a joke. If you are a responsible person and can handle yourself appropriately they are simply bad luck instances. If you're the drunkest guy at the party and constantly making a fool of yourself that is a whole separate issue.

So then I'll ask you this, how many alcohol related offences should they be allowed to get while they are on UND's hockey team? 5? When do these "simple minors" become a problem?

• Upvote 1

The difference is our journalists don't need to go undercover for these guys to get caught...the cops seem to be doing it just fine.

• Upvote 1

If you are a responsible person and can handle yourself appropriately they are simply bad luck instances. If you're the drunkest guy at the party and constantly making a fool of yourself that is a whole separate issue.

So with 2 citations in 9 months which bucket do you put Zane and Bryn in since with your reasoning there is no bucket labeled "stupidity"?

So then I'll ask you this, how many alcohol related offences should they be allowed to get while they are on UND's hockey team? 5? When do these "simple minors" become a problem?

I would first look at the crimes themselves....then I would say no more than 2.

I don't look at this as a big deal and think some people are making too much out of it. I do agree that these guys have a target on their back and are under more of a microscope than anyone else in the town. I wouldn't be suprised if younger cops may see it as a feather in their hat kind of thing to have this happen but I also believe this could go the other way at times and players may see some preferential treatment from other authority figure at times. I do agree that this is a bit of bad luck and something that happens all the time and it is just a matter getting caught but they will definitely be under a microscope going forward and have to be smart.