SiouxSports.com Forum

UND 2013-14 season

Frozen4sioux

doesnt hak have any control of these guys?

You expect Hak to babysit them? They're in college. It's what college kids, especially kids who grew up playing hockey, do. It's on the players for getting caught. They need to act more responsibly, however.

• Upvote 1

You expect Hak to babysit them? They're in college. It's what college kids, especially kids who grew up playing hockey, do. It's on the players for getting caught. They need to act more responsibly, however.

To your question...no, but Zane and Bryn have been on this team less than a year and this is their 2nd alcohol related legal citation. Seems like Hak's rope keeps getting longer. At a minimum I hope he enforces the "3 strikes and you'r out" rule if they both get caught again.

To your question...no, but Zane and Bryn have been on this team less than a year and this is their 2nd alcohol related legal citation. Seems like Hak's rope keeps getting longer. At a minimum I hope he enforces the "3 strikes and you'r out" rule if they both get caught again.

They're college kids and they're drinking, it's what college kids do. I don't think this is anything to get too worried about. Hak's disciplining them plenty with the scholarship reduction IMO, as minors in college are usually the result of bad luck. All 3 players are 20, so hopefully they don't have much longer to worry about the GFPD.

• Upvote 1

They're college kids and they're drinking, it's what college kids do. I don't think this is anything to get too worried about. Hak's disciplining them plenty with the scholarship reduction IMO, as minors in college are usually the result of bad luck. All 3 players are 20, so hopefully they don't have much longer to worry about the GFPD.

Bad luck? :huh: I just know if this was 2 FB players at the AC in the same repeated situation, the tune being sung arounfd here would be vastly different. Calling it "lack of institutional control" by Bohl would be rampant.

This can't be on Hak unless you expect him to boot these guys. They are only minors....not DUI's. But you are correct, if they get caught again they are plain stupid and should be booted.

Bad luck? :huh: I just know if this was 2 FB players at the AC in the same repeated situation, the tune being sung arounfd here would be vastly different. Calling it "lack of institutional control" by Bohl would be rampant.

I got 3 minors straight off bad luck. One I was taking the first sip of beer. When you are in college you go to parties...and sometimes parties get busted.

Yes, they're college kids having a good time, but I would really hate to see Hakstol put in a position where he may end up having to suspend Gothberg, or worse, boot him off the team. How many strikes does he get? The team is already short a goalie.

What worries me is that Springfest is next weekend. Let's hope the coaches have a nice chat with the team this week.

• Upvote 1

That would require their minors to be reported and not kept under wraps...

For the record, I have no problem with a first offense. It happens. The second one is where the line starts getting blurry. Hak definitely isn't messing around by cutting scholarship money.

I got 3 minors straight off bad luck. One I was taking the first sip of beer. When you are in college you go to parties...and sometimes parties get busted.

We have all been there, including myself...drinking illegally. Illegal is the key word and knowing the potential consequences should be part of the equation. Not going to wear a halo, I just don't by into the "bad luck" concept.

Did they steal a road sign (destruction/theft of public property)? Did they run from the cops? Did the college try to cover it up? Did the college fail to discipline the players?

No, these minors and the way they are being handled are completely different from the AC situations.

I'll give every college kid one free pass on MIP's, but as a scholarshipped athlete you have a responsibility to the school that gave you the scholarship money to keep out of trouble, and after getting one MIP those guys have to be responsible enough to do their drinking away from bars and house parties. Whether they like it or not they are held to a higher standard than the average Joe and Jane Student.

• Upvote 1

Did they steal a road sign (destruction/theft of public property)? Did they run from the cops? Did the college try to cover it up? Did the college fail to discipline the players?

No, these minors and the way they are being handled are completely different from the AC situations.

Not disagreeing, just saying if the same identical scenario would have presented with SU FB players involved there would be many here singing a different tune.

Not disagreeing, just saying if the same identical scenario would have presented with SU FB players involved there would be many here singing a different tune.

I think we'd be poking fun at moo u, but nobody would be able to question the punishment. Losing scholarship money seems like a pretty serious deal to me, even if it's only a partial reduction.

Lower the drinking age, problem solved. It's a joke that you can go to college and be considered an 'adult' unless you have a beer in your hand then you're still a minor. Makes too much sense.

It's a slippery slope, the problem there is you have 19 year olds in high school...you know the rest. I remember when the drinking age was 18 and 19 in Montana, that was a circus.

It doesn't matter what they did. I don't think that some people get what is at stake here. When you sign the dotted line at UND for hockey or NDSU for Football, you are not signing at just any program. You are signing to play at programs that are held at the highest regard in the region. There are responsibilities that come with that and you give up some of your freedoms. But in giving up those freedoms there are many more rewards to come from it too. For the ones that got caught for a second time, this may be the end of lots of their freedoms they did have, IF THEY WANT TO BE AT UND. For the general, I think he has been demoted to private. There is no way he should be a captain or assistant this next year. We North Dakotans hold this program as a shining light of our state and expect that it be respected. I think that Dave is doing the right thing in being the lighthouse keeper.
  • Upvote 2

We have all been there, including myself...drinking illegally. Illegal is the key word and knowing the potential consequences should be part of the equation. Not going to wear a halo, I just don't by into the "bad luck" concept.

You have what 4,000 underage kids on the campus and how few get minors in a year? Yeah I would say bad luck.

It's a slippery slope, the problem there is you have 19 year olds in high school...you know the rest. I remember when the drinking age was 18 and 19 in Montana, that was a circus.

They should probably move their parties to Manitoba. Gotta be hard for those people that can drink when they go home, but can't when they are here. However, the law is the law, and athletes should be subject to that. Remember that these athletes are looking at things through a college kids perspective, not 15-20 years down the line, which is the perspective of many on this board. If you are an athlete you better have some self-discipline though, especially when you have already had a warning.

If someone wants to drink they're going to drink. Might as well eliminate the cool taboo underage aspect out of it. I did a lot of research on this in college and in theory it should make things safer for young people if its done right like it is in Germany for example. Nobody drives drunk there because its really frowned upon and the penalties are insane.

You have what 4,000 underage kids on the campus and how few get minors in a year? Yeah I would say bad luck.

So losing one's driver's license because one gets caught speeding excessively a few times is bad luck as well?? Since when did breaking the law and the fact that getting caught institutes "bad luck". I tend to drive too fast, and I know it, but I also know if I get pulled over there will be consequences, yet if I get caught I don't think it's "bad luck" that resolves me of my own personal responsibility. Again for Zane and Bryn, it's been twice in 9 months.

• Upvote 2