SiouxSports.com Forum

UND 2013-14 season

Frozen4sioux

Regardless of personnel, I think we really need to evaluate our systems on the forecheck, powerplay, breakout, and d zone coverage.

I would spend all summer bag skating guys with parachutes and weights.

We need to be quicker and make quicker, better passes.

We need to quit playing along the walls and start attacking the scoring areas.

We need to leave our zone with speed and numbers as a cohesive unit.

We need to put the puck on net and have guys winning battles to the rebound areas.

We need to make guys miss in order to advance the puck.

I agree completely. IMO the whole weekend can be summarized in one sentence:

UND didn't play fast.

Having players with speed is one thing, but if you're not playing "fast" it doesn't matter.

It just seemed like the whole team was way too deliberate with the puck on their sticks. The extra split second they took to make decisions with the puck cost them the entire weekend. They did not "play fast."

UND needs to figure out how to play faster next season. I think the Eastern teams have figured this out, while the majority of the west is still playing the rough & tumble style.

I think having berry there for the whole off season will be extremely beneficial to the guys. also with as many questions regarding scoring heading into next year there was no traditional second half surge this year, but I can see a slow start next year and a surge happening in the second half. the cupboard by no means will be bare.

I thought for the most part schmaltz played pretty well down the stretch.

Agree.

About half way through the year I told others that I thought that if Schmaltz stays long enough, he will be the best 2-way dman we've had in awhile. He has a ways to go but for a two way freshman I thought he played well.

Regardless of personnel, I think we really need to evaluate our systems on the forecheck, powerplay, breakout, and d zone coverage.

I would spend all summer bag skating guys with parachutes and weights.

We need to be quicker and make quicker, better passes.

We need to quit playing along the walls and start attacking the scoring areas.

We need to leave our zone with speed and numbers as a cohesive unit.

We need to put the puck on net and have guys winning battles to the rebound areas.

We need to make guys miss in order to advance the puck.

^That......

My biggest issue with the forecheck this year was dumping the puck and having zero pressure lead to an easy out. I can understand a line change leading to an easy out, but too many times the puck would get dumped in the wrong corner or F1 would take a horrible pursuit angle, and that just screwed everything up.

If you want to watch a team that played a great forecheck see Yale vs. UND. They hemmed in our dmen, and their F1 was outstanding at forcing our dmen into a horrible decision (cough....Gleason). Half of that though was our dmen not giving up ringing the wall. Even when the weakside d pinched every time.....every time...

My way to early take on next year line combos:

Caggiula(SO)-Grimaldi(SO)-Tambellini(FR)

Murphy(FR)-Mark Mac.(JR)-Parks(JR)

O'Donnell(JR)-St.Clair(SO)-Johnson(FR)

Gaarder(JR)-Pattyn(JR)-Rodwell(SR)

Mitch Mac.(SR)-Chyzk(SO)-Senkbeil(JR)

Sanderson(SO)-Voltin(FR)-Rowe(FR)

(Kind of doubt that we will see Voltin or Rowe next season as there really isn't room for them but they are scheduled to come in next year)

Forbort(SR)-Schmaltz(SO)

Simpson(SR)-Stecher(FR)

Mattson(JR)-LaDue(FR)

Poolman(FR)-Panzarella(JR)

Crisfield(FR) (scheduled to come in but I think he only does if someone leaves early and I don't think anyone is ready to go yet so hopefully everyone is back)

Gothberg(SO)

Saunders(SR)

Yet to Sign goalie(FR)

I actually love these lines.

I actually love these lines.

Yeah, I don't mind them either, there isn't really a drop off there, but there isn't a ridiculous top line that we are accustomed to having either. It is going to be a team of two second lines, and two third lines, with basically 4 offensive defenseman and two, two-way guys (Forbort and Simpson).

^That......

My biggest issue with the forecheck this year was dumping the puck and having zero pressure lead to an easy out. I can understand a line change leading to an easy out, but too many times the puck would get dumped in the wrong corner or F1 would take a horrible pursuit angle, and that just screwed everything up.

If you want to watch a team that played a great forecheck see Yale vs. UND. They hemmed in our dmen, and their F1 was outstanding at forcing our dmen into a horrible decision (cough....Gleason). Half of that though was our dmen not giving up ringing the wall. Even when the weakside d pinched every time.....every time...

Gotta go where the puck is going to be...

I think next years team will be very good and if we stick with line combinations we will be better than good and could make a run. I do not comment on here much, but was upset with all the folks wanting Rocco on the first line. The two top lines should have been Kristo-Knight-Parks and Rocco-Rowney-Caggiula. Rocco has great chemistry with Drake and Parks should have been kept on the first line and did not have a chance after he got back form injury. This is how I would like to see the forward lines next year:

Caggiula-Parks-Rocco (I officially dub this line the CPR line to get life back in this team)

Gaarder-Mark McMillan-O'Donnell

Murphy-Johnson-Tambellini (all freshman line to build chemistry)

Rodwell-Pattyn-St.Clair (The best fourth line in the NCHC, and maybe the country)

I see Chyzk, Mitch McMillan and Jimmer to fill in. Could easily see Mitch with his brother if he develops chemistry and Gaarder can fill in on the fourth line as needed. I also do not see any other freshman forwards coming in next year unless something else develops.

Just my impression, for what it's worth, but I am very optimistic that we could have a great TEAM next year even though it may not be as talented on paper as what other folks have thought.

After this year, I'm ready to go back to the drawing board and have four lines of about equal strength and just roll them. Obviously whatever line Rocco is on will be the top unit, but I'm hopeful that the line combos are pretty well established come January.

Another thing I'd like to see is keeping lines intact for power plays. That way lines aren't messed up for three shifts after we don't score on the powerplay. I think a big reason there was so little success on the powerplay was the fact that you had guys playing with different guys, then going back and playing with different guys even strength.

This of course goes back to our horrible head coach......If they would just accept my resume, I'd be a great addition to the staff. I mean you'd have four great minds with an abundance of nhl, ahl, and college hockey coaching experience. Well, I played intramurals at UND, so that counts as college hockey experience in my book.

This of course goes back to our horrible head coach......If they would just accept my resume, I'd be a great addition to the staff. I mean you'd have four great minds with an abundance of nhl, ahl, and college hockey coaching experience. Well, I played intramurals at UND, so that counts as college hockey experience in my book.

Mind if I come along as an assistant? I also played intramurals with you, so we both have tons of college hockey experience.

Mind if I come along as an assistant? I also played intramurals with you, so we both have tons of college hockey experience.

Well according to some folks on here and GPL coaching NHL type talent should automatically lead to championships. So I think UND could do themselves a favor by canning the three current clowns and letting you and me run the show. Karl can stay on as the goaltending coach, because these guys are way way way better goalies than I ever dreamed of being. You wanna run forwards or d?

Well according to some folks on here and GPL coaching NHL type talent should automatically lead to championships. So I think UND could do themselves a favor by canning the three current clowns and letting you and me run the show. Karl can stay on as the goaltending coach, because these guys are way way way better goalies than I ever dreamed of being. You wanna run forwards or d?

I am a forward, so I guess I'll take those boys. Torpedo system, here we come!!

As one of the worst rated players on the second best,( of two) beer leagues in Bismarck I will also assume my place on the new staff...not necessarily in an associate role but assistant will work..

I'll help in the recruiting and penalty kill and possibly the cheer team selection.

• Upvote 1

After this year, I'm ready to go back to the drawing board and have four lines of about equal strength and just roll them. Obviously whatever line Rocco is on will be the top unit, but I'm hopeful that the line combos are pretty well established come January.

Another thing I'd like to see is keeping lines intact for power plays. That way lines aren't messed up for three shifts after we don't score on the powerplay. I think a big reason there was so little success on the powerplay was the fact that you had guys playing with different guys, then going back and playing with different guys even strength.

I'm almost 62 and have watched countless college games (especially UND's) on TV. Also taught school at Warroad, MN in late 70's so got to watch Dave Christian, the Brotens, etc. play HS hockey in northern MN. Geez , I just realized.....I might be overqualified!

You should probably give UAA a shot first as a stepping stone to bigger and better....well, ok, as a stepping stone to other things.

You should probably give UAA a shot first as a stepping stone to bigger and better....well, ok, as a stepping stone to other things.

I may be overqualified for that one..... :whistling:

A team from Alaska will never win a national championship. You talk about Circadian Rhythm screwing with your ability to play hockey.....

My stab at what the lines could look like for 2013-14, based on who I think will be coming in and who will return:

LW - C - RW

1) Caggiula - Grimaldi - Parks

2) Tambellini - Ma. MacMillan - Murphy

3) O' Donnell - Johnson - St. Clair

4) Senkbeil - Pattyn - Gaarder

Chyzyk, Rodwell, Mi. MacMillan, Sanderson

LD - RD

1) Simpson - LaDue

2) Mattson - Schmaltz

3) Thompson - Stecher

Panzarella

G

1) Gothberg

2) Saunders

3) ?

My stab at what the lines could look like for 2013-14, based on who I think will be coming in and who will return:

LW - C - RW

LD - RD

1) Simpson - LaDue

2) Mattson - Schmaltz

3) Thompson - Stecher

Panzarella

G

1) Gothberg

2) Saunders

3) ?

Thompson coming in only if Forbort leaves?

LW - C - RW

LD - RD

1) Simpson - LaDue

2) Mattson - Schmaltz

3) Thompson - Stecher

Panzarella

G

1) Gothberg

2) Saunders

3) ?

I can't see Forbort leaving, but I suppose it's always a possibility. I'm including him until a final decision is made. I also think Tambellini will play center, at least to start anyway.

1st Line: Ma. MacMillan-Grimaldi-Parks

2nd Line: Mi. MacMillan-Tambellini-Caggiula

3rd Line: St. Clair-Johnson-O'Donnell

4th Line: Gaarder-Pattyn-Rodwell

Extra: Chyzyk, Senkbeil, Sanderson, Murphy

D1: Forbort-Schmaltz

D2: Simpson-LaDue

D3: Poolman-Mattson

Extra: Panzarella

Goalies: Gothberg, Saunders

I can't see Forbort leaving, but I suppose it's always a possibility. I'm including him until a final decision is made. I also think Tambellini will play center, at least to start anyway.

1st Line: Ma. MacMillan-Grimaldi-Parks

2nd Line: Mi. MacMillan-Tambellini-Caggiula

3rd Line: St. Clair-Johnson-O'Donnell

4th Line: Gaarder-Pattyn-Rodwell

Extra: Chyzyk, Senkbeil, Sanderson, Murphy

D1: Forbort-Schmaltz

D2: Simpson-LaDue

D3: Poolman-Mattson

Extra: Panzarella

Goalies: Gothberg, Saunders

Stecher will come in before Poolman. The two guarantees to come in next year (defenseman with no Junior eligibility left) are Stecher and LaDue, everyone else is still at least somewhat of a question mark.

Stecher will come in before Poolman. The two guarantees to come in next year (defenseman with no Junior eligibility left) are Stecher and LaDue, everyone else is still at least somewhat of a question mark.

Oh, I was not aware of their junior eligibility. Thanks.

I really like the D-corps next year, especially if Forbort stays (which I believe he will). If they can mesh a little more with Berry's style, I think they will be a very good unit.