SiouxSports.com Forum

UND 2013-14 season

Frozen4sioux

So with 2 citations in 9 months which bucket do you put Zane and Bryn in since with your reasoning there is no bucket labeled "stupidity"?

I received 2 minors in 10 days when I first showed up to school. I was not drunk on either occurrence simply at a party meeting people....socializing. I believe some of you "old-timers" don't realize they don't let you walk away anymore if you're not visibly drunk...they write you a citation no questions asked (especially in GF). I would like to think I turned out ok, I'm successful. If you looked at my background you would see more than a couple minors....but I never had any sort of problem, I was never drunk anytime I was written a citation. I'm not saying this is the circumstance here....just pointing out a fact to some old timers.

Look back at some of the late 90's early 2000's RR hockey teams....we were littered with minors. No one was ever booted from the team.

I don't look at this as a big deal and think some people are making too much out of it. I do agree that these guys have a target on their back and are under more of a microscope than anyone else in the town. I wouldn't be suprised if younger cops may see it as a feather in their hat kind of thing to have this happen but I also believe this could go the other way at times and players may see some preferential treatment from other authority figure at times. I do agree that this is a bit of bad luck and something that happens all the time and it is just a matter getting caught but they will definitely be under a microscope going forward and have to be smart.

Definitely agree here though.

You'd be surprised at the large amount of minors that are actually given at UND. I'd say about 150 of my personal friends got them (In fact, this party at UND was my friends: http://www.wdaz.com/...rticle/id/3515/). I never got one because I wasn't stupid.

Having attended BSU before I attended UND, one of the first things that caught my attention was how the cops in Grand Forks were so proactive in going after the underage drinkers. One of my criminal justice professors who was a Grand Forks Police Officer, used to talk about it in my criminal law and procedures class. It just seems like they have more of them here than any other place than I have ever been. Of course I was the last group of 19 year olds to be legal to drink in Minnesota.

Edited by Goon

The idea that Gopher players aren't also held under a microscope just isn't true. Has a local GF news station ever done an undercover expose at campus bars using tiny hidden cameras to catch underage hockey players drinking? I didn't think so. The idea that this keeps happening in Grand Forks simply because of the size of the town is a weak built-in excuse.

Schlossman shot the media's response there out of the water. Cited many of the incidents and the lack of coverage they got.

I really comes down to knowing the consequences and deciding to partake in the activity. Whether or not you/we/whoever... agrees with the legality of a minor having a drink, it is illegal to do so. These guys know 100% that it is illegal to do so. They also should know that there is a potentially very severe penalty (outside the court system) if they are caught drinking.

I really see this more as a problem of extremely poor decision making and self-control than anything else. I really am not concerned with a kid having a drink. Doing so when they know what can happen to them is another story.

Comparing these guys to joe blow freshman is not a valid comparison as the consequences of the actions are vastly different.

• Upvote 1

I really comes down to knowing the consequences and deciding to partake in the activity. Whether or not you/we/whoever... agrees with the legality of a minor having a drink, it is illegal to do so. These guys know 100% that it is illegal to do so. They also should know that there is a potentially very severe penalty (outside the court system) if they are caught drinking.

I really see this more as a problem of extremely poor decision making and self-control than anything else. I really am not concerned with a kid having a drink. Doing so when they know what can happen to them is another story.

Comparing these guys to joe blow freshman is not a valid comparison as the consequences of the actions are vastly different.

The underlined opinions are spot on. And I'll go back to well one more time, it isn't the first time for Zane and Bryn, which IMO makes this recent situation less tolerable. I heard from a source close to the Force that Bryn lack of playing time after Thanksgiving was related to some off ice decision making...after this I'm not going to question that.

I received 2 minors in 10 days when I first showed up to school. I was not drunk on either occurrence simply at a party meeting people....socializing. I believe some of you "old-timers" don't realize they don't let you walk away anymore if you're not visibly drunk...they write you a citation no questions asked (especially in GF). I would like to think I turned out ok, I'm successful. If you looked at my background you would see more than a couple minors....but I never had any sort of problem, I was never drunk anytime I was written a citation. I'm not saying this is the circumstance here....just pointing out a fact to some old timers.

Look back at some of the late 90's early 2000's RR hockey teams....we were littered with minors. No one was ever booted from the team.

You are right about how it was handled in the old days. When the cops would bust up a keg at Paradise or the Rifle Range no one got tickets. Parties? Break them up and no tickets. Now? Big pain for the kids involved.

With your luck would anyone even party with you? :lol:

Regardless of the discussion about choosing to drink and/or get caught due to the legalities, it's disappointing to me to see where these kids priorities are. Yeah, sure - kids are going to have fun and party in college. But these players are in a program that's working to develop elite hockey players and most have aspirations of the NHL. The fact that they're not only damaging their development by consistently drinking and facing administrative penalties is not a great choice, but I'm more worried about the impact of this 'party culture' on their performance. Seeing players like Kristo in town regularly drinking on game weeks, etc. really makes you wonder what they'd be capable of if they buckled down. Alcohol has been proven time and time again to hamper physical development and performance. The fact that they can't pick their time and place, and have to drink and make other bad choices year-round, is an awfully good way to limit whatever natural-born talent and potential they have. Their choice, but still disappointing.

Some players can be really good *despite* drinking, but it's certainly not doing anyone any favors. Through my years in the gym and hundreds of cases to observe, there's no arguing that there's a big difference in physical performance between those who were regimented, ate right, and limited their vices and those who worked hard in the gym but were consistently out partying. Rocco's a great example of a guy who makes the right decisions and outperforms everyone else around him despite possibly not having been born with as many tools. Imagine how even Kristo could have stepped up his game if he'd been committed and leaned-out, gotten stronger, and still had his natural talents. And what Frattin was physically capable of only after he started making the right decisions for his body and attitude. We need players like Chyzyk, Gothberg, etc. to step it up this year, not regress.

• Upvote 4

Having attended BSU before I attended UND, one of the first things that caught my attention was how the cops in Grand Forks were so proactive in going after the underage drinkers. One of my criminal justice professors who was a Grand Forks Police Officer, used to talk about it in my criminal law and procedures class. It just seems like they have more of them here than any other place than I have ever been. Of course I was the last group of 19 year olds to be legal to drink in Minnesota.

There's nothing else for police to do in Grand Forks. Grand Forks and UND have really been trying to get rid of that badge that they're known so well for underage binge drinking and such as well, so it's one of the focuses here. In bigger cities there's much, much more important things for police to worry about than underage drinking.

Schlossman shot the media's response there out of the water. Cited many of the incidents and the lack of coverage they got.

More important things for the media there. Gopher hockey isn't even one of the top 5 big sports in the TC, so media doesn't care that much about that kind of stuff with them. They'd much rather be writing things about the Vikings, Twins, Wild, Gopher football, etc.

• Upvote 1