SiouxSports.com Forum

UND 2013-14 season

Frozen4sioux

Once again, this has been said of just about every team Hakstol has said. Look at posts before Christmas and you will see the same kind of frustration year after year.

If you carefully read what you have written, there in lies the problem. This isn't an anomaly with Hak's teams and their lack of success before the break...it's a definite trend. At some point with a little puck luck and/or our own "hot goalie", one would think one of his teams would surprise us all and get off to a really hot start...at least just once.

If you carefully read what you have written, there in lies the problem. This isn't an anomaly with Hak's teams and their lack of success before the break...it's a definite trend. At some point with a little puck luck and/or our own "hot goalie", one would think one of his teams would surprise us all and get off to a really hot start...at least just once.

Agreed. I'd like a nice 10 game winning streak before Christmas and not the usual mad scramble to make the NCAA's in January and February.

split with excellent teams on the road, but sweep one series you should split, sweep excellent teams at home, sweep teams that are not excellent 90% of the time regardless of rink. Do this, and you you should win 30 games.

The frattin team did this (once)

Agreed. I'd like a nice 10 game winning streak before Christmas and not the usual mad scramble to make the NCAA's in January and February.

I would like these teams simply to play well before Christmas. I would also like them to work hard before Christmas. Neither has happened over the past 2-3 years. As many coaches say, "they are going through the motions" and it is very obviously. Many people on here were super happy they ripped off 59 shots last Saturday, I was more concerned with the fact they still could not score while also letting up a 3rd period lead to lose and tie to a team that is unranked. There is something a tad different with this team than in years past. Hopefully it is simply the injury bug.

I would like these teams simply to play well before Christmas. I would also like them to work hard before Christmas. Neither has happened over the past 2-3 years. As many coaches say, "they are going through the motions" and it is very obviously. Many people on here were super happy they ripped off 59 shots last Saturday, I was more concerned with the fact they still could not score while also letting up a 3rd period lead to lose and tie to a team that is unranked. There is something a tad different with this team than in years past. Hopefully it is simply the injury bug.

If by injury bug you mean inferior offensive talent, then yes

split with excellent teams on the road, but sweep one series you should split, sweep excellent teams at home, sweep teams that are not excellent 90% of the time regardless of rink. Do this, and you you should win 30 games.

The frattin team did this (once)

My bad...that team did get off to a "hot start" going 8-5-1 heading into the Thanksgiving weekend.

• 2 weeks later...

Very cool!!

blows me away that they award an on campus regional to notre dame but instead of taking the ralph and the cash cow that would be they give it to scheel's arena, not a bad consolation prize for und fans though. still looks like the ncaa has hard feelings as they screwed the ralph out of a women's frozen four as well.

UND will host the 2015 West Regional at Scheels Arena in Fargo

Great news, we are pulling a Gophers here, by not hosting in our home venue, but in one nearby that will be a definite home venue. Problem is, only 5000 or so seats in Scheels arena, imagine the scalper prices for those tickets!

blows me away that they award an on campus regional to notre dame but instead of taking the ralph and the cash cow that would be they give it to scheel's arena, not a bad consolation prize for und fans though. still looks like the ncaa has hard feelings as they screwed the ralph out of a women's frozen four as well.

What? You never thought UND's lawsuit was ever going to have repurcussions?

A few weeks off to heal some injuries, but the schedule looks pretty favorable after the exhibition trip up to Canada. Someone mentioned a few weeks ago that the team had the opportunity to go like 10-2 the next stretch of twelve games when they were heading into the St. Lawrence weekend.

Right now they're 5-1 in that stretch. And minus the exhibition games (which should be wins IMHO) here is what the schedule looks like:

CC @ home. A team that is reeling, need to sweep that team at home. (7-1)

@BSU, home BSU. Should be two more wins. Although BSU always plays UND close. (9-1)

@Denver. Split on the road and that closes that stretch of games at 10-2. Or sweep and keep the momentum going.

That puts them at 14-8-2 going into Deano at home, Miami at home, then Duluth and SCSU on the road, before a home weekend to close out the year against Western.

Should be interesting closing out the year after some had the Ralph being bulldozed in April.

A few weeks off to heal some injuries, but the schedule looks pretty favorable after the exhibition trip up to Canada. Someone mentioned a few weeks ago that the team had the opportunity to go like 10-2 the next stretch of twelve games when they were heading into the St. Lawrence weekend.

Right now they're 5-1 in that stretch. And minus the exhibition games (which should be wins IMHO) here is what the schedule looks like:

@BSU, home BSU. Should be two more wins. Although BSU always plays UND close. (9-1)

@Denver. Split on the road and that closes that stretch of games at 10-2. Or sweep and keep the momentum going.

That puts them at 14-8-2 going into Deano at home, Miami at home, then Duluth and SCSU on the road, before a home weekend to close out the year against Western.

Should be interesting closing out the year after some had the Ralph being bulldozed in April.

I was one of those that thought we would be able to make some hay over this 12 game stretch.

We are on track so far, with the promise of getting guys healthy over the next 26 days going into the CC series at the Ralph.

Its good to see the boys beat teams that we should beat. And I'm still optimistic that by the time February rolls around, we'll have improved enough to win a few against the top of the NCHC (St Cloud, Miami).

One of the optimistic signs of the last 3 weekends is that our young defensemen are picking their spots well to jump into the attack. Ausmus' goal last night - he read the situation and reacted quickly. Given that we don't have a gaggle of top-flight snipers (yes, I miss Frattin and Kristo) we will need to create offense from the D-men.

Keep playing this way, and we could get to see the legendary Circle of Sticks again.

I was one of those that thought we would be able to make some hay over this 12 game stretch.

We are on track so far, with the promise of getting guys healthy over the next 26 days going into the CC series at the Ralph.

Its good to see the boys beat teams that we should beat. And I'm still optimistic that by the time February rolls around, we'll have improved enough to win a few against the top of the NCHC (St Cloud, Miami).

One of the optimistic signs of the last 3 weekends is that our young defensemen are picking their spots well to jump into the attack. Ausmus' goal last night - he read the situation and reacted quickly. Given that we don't have a gaggle of top-flight snipers (yes, I miss Frattin and Kristo) we will need to create offense from the D-men.

Keep playing this way, and we could get to see the legendary Circle of Sticks again.

I'm anxious to see UND @ SCSU. Early in the year SCSU looked tremendous and handled UND easily at the Ralph. That will be a huge series for UND in the PWR, and for trying to get home ice in the NCHC tournament. I guess more importantly for me is seeing how far UND has come by the end of February.

The team is showing signs of life finally but has yet to put together a weekend against a good team. The last few series haven't exactly been a murderers row. Hopefully this recent success turns into confidence for the younger guys and not a state of complacency like what we saw to start the year when the team was way over rated. It's interesting that during the win streak the team is only averaging 3 goals a game. The defense has been pretty good, if that continues all it will take is the scoring to click in for this team to be very dangerous in the way we all hope they can be. We won't know much about how good they are until the Miami series maybe. It's interesting how this power conference has caught alot of teams on down years in its inaugural season.

Good post: not that it matters but UND has crept into the PWR @16. and KRACH UND has played the 10th toughest schedule to date.

I've been waiting to say this because I was afraid of being accused of writing off this year, which I'm not. I think the development of the defensemen, which are mainly young guys, is setting up UND well for next year. If they keep everyone who's not a senior this year, and the freshman class next year all show up, and if they're as good as they're supposed to be, and if they develop, it could be a very interesting year next year. (Enough ifs for everyone?)

• Upvote 1

I've been waiting to say this because I was afraid of being accused of writing off this year, which I'm not. I think the development of the defensemen, which are mainly young guys, is setting up UND well for next year. If they keep everyone who's not a senior this year, and the freshman class next year all show up, and if they're as good as they're supposed to be, and if they develop, it could be a very interesting year next year. (Enough ifs for everyone?)

As long as we're looking at next year, add in the prospect of a backyard regional at Scheels.

As long as we're looking at next year, add in the prospect of a backyard regional at Scheels.

At the expense of jumping ahead...book your trips to Boston in April people! We'll be bringing home National Championship #9!

• Upvote 2