SiouxSports.com Forum

UND 2013-14 season

Frozen4sioux

I've been waiting to say this because I was afraid of being accused of writing off this year, which I'm not. I think the development of the defensemen, which are mainly young guys, is setting up UND well for next year. If they keep everyone who's not a senior this year, and the freshman class next year all show up, and if they're as good as they're supposed to be, and if they develop, it could be a very interesting year next year. (Enough ifs for everyone?)

This was my thought prior to the season starting. I just looked at the roster, didn't see a lot of seniors, looked at the recruits, and thought anything we do this year would be a great building block for next year.

A few weeks off to heal some injuries, but the schedule looks pretty favorable after the exhibition trip up to Canada. Someone mentioned a few weeks ago that the team had the opportunity to go like 10-2 the next stretch of twelve games when they were heading into the St. Lawrence weekend.

Right now they're 5-1 in that stretch. And minus the exhibition games (which should be wins IMHO) here is what the schedule looks like:

CC @ home. A team that is reeling, need to sweep that team at home. (7-1)

@BSU, home BSU. Should be two more wins. Although BSU always plays UND close. (9-1)

@Denver. Split on the road and that closes that stretch of games at 10-2. Or sweep and keep the momentum going.

That puts them at 14-8-2 going into Deano at home, Miami at home, then Duluth and SCSU on the road, before a home weekend to close out the year against Western.

Should be interesting closing out the year after some had the Ralph being bulldozed in April.

I also figured we would go on a nice run because the teams we play over this stretch are not good whatsoever. However, the real test will be how we close against those good teams. We need to put ourselves in a position to succeed in the playoffs (which I believe we will make, our team is relatively good). That home stretch is scary though, however in looking the the NCHC's record against other conferences, it isn't good. That won't help us much.

I've been waiting to say this because I was afraid of being accused of writing off this year, which I'm not. I think the development of the defensemen, which are mainly young guys, is setting up UND well for next year. If they keep everyone who's not a senior this year, and the freshman class next year all show up, and if they're as good as they're supposed to be, and if they develop, it could be a very interesting year next year. (Enough ifs for everyone?)

I do agree with you as well, however I see nothing wrong with looking forward to next year because in all honesty that is probably our shot to win the title. This year will be extremely tough (doable given some major puck luck). I for one am not writing off this year but I do know next year's team should be nice, I do not see who could possibly leave besides seniors.

......... I do not see who could possibly leave besides seniors.

There are some with an opinion that Grimaldi...could be pushed to sign to and move on by FLA....if for nothing else than to gwt him developing at the next level with players of his talent .....

I dont see it but I can see the argument

I do agree with you as well, however I see nothing wrong with looking forward to next year because in all honesty that is probably our shot to win the title. This year will be extremely tough (doable given some major puck luck). I for one am not writing off this year but I do know next year's team should be nice, I do not see who could possibly leave besides seniors.

I'm hoping we all get the opportunity to be pleasantly surprised this year, and have our expectations (hopes) met or exceeded next year.

Its like one of those tests that you didn't study at all for, but through some act of God you managed to get a grade much better than you deserved. :lol:

I give this team a C+ right now. They have been so inconsistent, but get the C+ for how they finished the last five games.

Its like one of those tests that you didn't study at all for, but through some act of God you managed to get a grade much better than you deserved. :lol:

I give this team a C+ right now. They have been so inconsistent, but get the C+ for how they finished the last five games.

The grade by USCHO was given I'd say in comparison to the other NCHC teams. We're 3rd in the league, 2nd highest ranked NCHC team in the Pairwise, so in comparison to some other teams in our league, I see where they got the B mark.

I'd say overall, with the exception of SCSU, the whole league has been inconsistent.

• 3 weeks later...

I liked Tambo and thought he is a kid who would greatly benefit from the college weights program and really improve as his career went on. My first thought when I saw that he has decided to leave the program was could he have trouble with school or just not like school and decided he didn't wanna deal with it.

Hak has got the boys ready for the 2ndhockey hald. Relax scpa

We beat and lost too two lower tier jv canadian 25 year old thugs with no draft picks...thats pretty good cuz we almsot got swept.

All hail hakstol!

hoooked on phonix werked for mee.

• Upvote 4