SiouxSports.com Forum

UND 2013-14 season

Frozen4sioux

It may be time for Hak to ditch the gopher philosophy of recruiting "pre-madonnas" and go back to the UND roots of getting hard-working, blue collar players. How many draft picks did Yale have on their team last year?

Go to USHL.com and check out a few names leading the league in scoring...then check out where they are going.

#Blais

It may be time for Hak to ditch the gopher philosophy of recruiting "pre-madonnas" and go back to the UND roots of getting hard-working, blue collar players. How many draft picks did Yale have on their team last year?

We've got PLENTY of those at UND. Most people here would agree we need a lot more skill on our team. But it's a combination of skill, maturity, and grit that creates championship teams.

We've got PLENTY of those at UND. Most people here would agree we need a lot more skill on our team. But it's a combination of skill, maturity, and grit that creates championship teams.

I disagree. We've got small, skilled players attempting to play in a "gritty" system. We all know the results. Check the roster and look at where they are all drafted. They didn't get drafted for lack of skill.

I disagree. We've got small, skilled players attempting to play in a "gritty" system. We all know the results. Check the roster and look at where they are all drafted. They didn't get drafted for lack of skill.

St. Clair

Pattyn

Sanderson

Panzerella

Rodwell

Chyzyk

Gaarder

I'd put those forwards on the list of strictly blue-collar types right now. Add Ausmus on D. Maybe Chyzyk will develop into a playmaker/scorer, but he's not yet. They're drafted based on potential, and I'm looking at them in their current state.

Meanwhile, where is our scoring coming from now? The blue line, Rocco, and Drake. Next two classes, should they remain intact, will have more of a high-skill aspect, which we really need. The guys I listed can complete the mix by maturing into players who are good on the boards and in front of the net.

We've got reasonably high drafted defensemen however most of our forwards (other than Rocco) were later on. Anyone drafted past the third round is a "cross-your-fingers" type of player from an NHL perpective....or else they would have been drafted higher. I would rather UND pull in those kids that dominate the USHL....that league is getting so good lately. Again, we are bringing in good defensemen (Poolman, mantha) that are excelling at the USHL level however only Schmaltz and Gersich are doing above average in that league and gersich's USHL numbers are pretty average. I know they are younger than most but that is what got us into this issue in the first place....getting immature (physically) players that struggle at the college level. That's actually why I liked the Simonson pick up....he'll play four years and he's actually producing at the USHL level. UND has been focusing so much on their defensemen that we're losing out on top notch forwards. I'm not on the ledge but would like some tweaks in recruiting methodology going forward. I think it is fine to get that blue chipper every so often but make sure the team around him is solid so that kid produces. If you only look at blue chippers and a handful of maybe's one or two defections instantly knocks your squad down a level or two.

Just my 8 cents :)

I apologize for getting the names mixed up.

Sorry.

Not the first time someones messed up here

gfhockey - I think we'd all give you a pass at making a mistake. I've made mistakes before and will make a lot more, and so have others here. I don't think anyone's criticizing you for making a mistake - it's more for the fact that you're an as$hole while doing it.

• Upvote 2

if that is the case, there should be more departures this week. whatever, this POS can go play in major juniors and hopefully get hit by a bus somewhere along the way. f*#!&%# quitter and there is no one that can defend this cowardly action.

Little low don't you think? So this kid thinks playing in the whl will be better for him. Good luck to him.