SiouxSports.com Forum

NORTH DAKOTA vs. BEMIDJI STATE - Saturday SENIOR NIGHT

AZSIOUX

I have been a UND fan since 1992 ish, I hate everything about the Minnesota Gophers, if they were playing the B.C. Eagles or Satan's team I would cheer for them, they disgust me.

I also, think I bawled my eyes out after the 1998 game against Michigan. I had way too many pictures of beer at the Down-Under club on 42nd street. I would still go to the games if they were 1-35. I think some of my fellow fans' expectations are a little high. Fan=fanantic. I don't like losing in a pick-up game of golf but I am only an 18 handicap.

I told another great hockey mind the other day during media day, that I think that this team is actually kind of flying under the radar this season. I am kind of feeling it. Will it happen, who knows. Nothing in life is a given. They have the horses to get there and three lines that can fly, you never know, some of those pipes might start going in. Some of those younger defenseman are starting to play like grizzled veterans.

Forbs and Schmaltz are starting to look like a couple of stalwarts on the back end. MacWilliam is a stud shut down defensman that is on the ice for big time penalty kills. To quote Joe Gleason, this was a guy that had 300+ minutes in penalties when he came here from juniors.

Right now B.C. looks like couldn't they fight their way out of a wet paper bag. NCAA titles are won by the team that gets hot for basically a 4 game period of time. Some of it's luck. Look who UMD beat to get to the Frozen Four, if UND had beaten Michigan we're probably looking at another 5-0 game. That's life though.

Edited by Goon
  • Upvote 1

I have been a UND fan since 1992 ish, I hate everything about the Minnesota Gophers, if they were playing the B.C. Eagles or Satan's team I would cheer for them, they disgust me.

I also, think I bawled my eyes out after the 1998 game against Michigan. I had way too many pictures of beer at the Down-Under club on 42nd street. I would still go to the games if they were 1-35. I think some of my fellow fans' expectations are a little high. Fan=fanantic. I don't like losing in a pick-up game of golf but I am only an 18 handicap.

I told another great hockey mind the other day during media day, that I think that this team is actually kind of flying under the radar this season. I am kind of feeling it. Will it happen, who knows. Nothing in life is a given. They have the horses to get there and three lines that can fly, you never know, some of those pipes might start going in. Some of those younger defenseman are starting to play like grizzled veterans.

Forbs and Schmaltz are starting to look like a couple of stalwarts on the back end. MacWilliam is a stud shut down defensman that is on the ice for big time penalty kills. To quote Joe Gleason, this was a guy that had 300+ minutes in penalties when he came here from juniors.

Right now B.C. looks like couldn't they fight their way out of a wet paper bag. NCAA titles are won by the team that gets hot for basically a 4 game period of time. Some of it's luck. Look who UMD beat to get to the Frozen Four, if UND had beaten Michigan we're probably looking at another 5-0 game. That's life though.

I'm no sre how a team 7th in the paiwise and ranked 5th nationaly can fly under the radar? but I do think the inconsistency of this team as someone on here eluded to earlier could be the thing that ends their season earleier then any of us want.

Yes, I just hope you aren't one of the SIoux fans using total number of Natty's in the "who's best" arguement between us and the Gophs, or BC, or whomever.

I try not to get into "who's best" arguments with other schools. I think UND's record speaks for itself, and "decent" fans of other schools know that. Vice versa as well.

Look at the recruits BC is starting to get every year....it's because they win a lot (recently). I'm guessing McCoshen chose BC over us because they contend (actually contend) for the national title every single year. I for one am hoping that changes this year.

When was the last season that UND didn't contend for the NCAA title? 2001/2002 in my book. BC didn't even make the NCAA tourney field in 08/09. They are certainly in a nice little run recently, but potential recruits certainly realize that any pick of UND, BC, UMN, etc are going to be title contenders every season. And I think UND's record of putting kids in the NHL speaks for itself too.

Calming post...I like it. I also agree with your comment on the young D men. Schmaltz is really starting to show up. We need the guys to keep chugging along. I was super pissed at the BSU tie (obviously) but I'm starting to ease up a little. I just don't want to see (or hear about) some terrible performance again this weekend. How you play now really matters going into tournament season.

I try not to get into "who's best" arguments with other schools. I think UND's record speaks for itself, and "decent" fans of other schools know that. Vice versa as well.

When was the last season that UND didn't contend for the NCAA title? 2001/2002 in my book. BC didn't even make the NCAA tourney field in 08/09. They are certainly in a nice little run recently, but potential recruits certainly realize that any pick of UND, BC, UMN, etc are going to be title contenders every season. And I think UND's record of putting kids in the NHL speaks for itself too.

Agreed. We definitely have better NHLers than they do :)

Bahhhhh Bahhhhh! Go sheep Go!

ooooo we are ranked 6th in the beginning of March!!!

Take that to the store and see how many loaves of bread you come home with in April.

Who cares how we are ranked in the regular season? You be proud of that this offseason while the team probably CHOKES another postseason away. At least you'll still have something to hang your hat on.

I forgot it's a crime on SS to have expectations. We need to be "ok" with being UND and letting our ancient past speak for itself. Don't let the fact that we have choked numerous opportunities away the last decade. Nahhhhh....that'd be something a "non-fan" would do.

"UND..home of high expectations with mediocre results! But, but, but, we are ranked 6th in March!" Sorry, but that's not the hockey program I grew up watching, or the schools mantra when I was a student there.

When did you grow up watching Sioux hockey? It took them 10 years to win a banner after the Circus left town. Don't even get me started on the teams from the late 80s/early 90s. Some of those teams had more offensive firepower than UND has ever had, with G Johnson, Dixon Ward, Russ R and others, yet they couldn't make it into the tourney some years. The '97 team got lucky that BU took down the prohibitive favorite. The '98 and '99 teams were supposed to win it all, but the coaching must not have been good enough, or the teams did not want it bad enough, or the fans just didn't care enough, because they just choked it up, at least in your mind. As for UND's ancient "glorious past," how many banners did they win between the time Kennedy was elected and 1980? What a pathetic program.

Do you go to the games because you love the game, or are you just looking for someone else to accomplish something that will give you some second-hand validation you are lacking in other areas of your life? You are mistaking childishness for pride.

• Upvote 4

I'm no sre how a team 7th in the paiwise and ranked 5th nationaly can fly under the radar? but I do think the inconsistency of this team as someone on here eluded to earlier could be the thing that ends their season earleier then any of us want.

Inconsistency is something we've seen a lot of this year, in a lot of different facets. The offense plays well in Denver but the goaltending doesn't show up. Then the scoring execution doesn't show up this weekend against the Beavs.

Like goon said though, it just takes four games. Duluth winning the championship had a ton to do with their road to the title game, but also with an extremely inconsistent team getting it figured out when they had to.

Many teams in the last few years have had magical runs in the postseason without being 1 or 2 most of the year. i.e. UMD. This years team is one of those that could make a run while not being a favorite. they have the talent and heart but do they have the goaltending to go on that run?

Should have lived through the 70's, went to games not expecting a win, just hoping that we'd get to see 1 or 2 over the entire season. Good guys on the team that we all knew, however, and they played hard, just didn't have enough depth or talent. We've been spoiled for a long time ever since.

Inconsistency is something we've seen a lot of this year, in a lot of different facets. The offense plays well in Denver but the goaltending doesn't show up. Then the scoring execution doesn't show up this weekend against the Beavs.

Like goon said though, it just takes four games. Duluth winning the championship had a ton to do with their road to the title game, but also with an extremely inconsistent team getting it figured out when they had to.

Did you watch the Saturday game in Denver?

When did you grow up watching Sioux hockey? It took them 10 years to win a banner after the Circus left town. Don't even get me started on the teams from the late 80s/early 90s. Some of those teams had more offensive firepower than UND has ever had, with G Johnson, Dixon Ward, Russ R and others, yet they couldn't make it into the tourney some years. The '97 team got lucky that BU took down the prohibitive favorite. The '98 and '99 teams were supposed to win it all, but the coaching must not have been good enough, or the teams did not want it bad enough, or the fans just didn't care enough, because they just choked it up, at least in your mind. As for UND's ancient "glorious past," how many banners did they win between the time Kennedy was elected and 1980? What a pathetic program.

Do you go to the games because you love the game, or are you just looking for someone else to accomplish something that will give you some second-hand validation you are lacking in other areas of your life? You are mistaking childishness for pride.

Haha...hockey has changed since then old timer....more and more American kids play the game now and more top end talent is playing college hockey than defecting (even including the past 1-3 years). You can't compare todays college hockey to the early 80's/90's.

Also, you noted it took them 10 years to win after the Circus.....it's been over a decade since we've won one and look who has came through our program. I do appreciate the talented hockey players I was able to watch however.

We were better than UMD when they won it all....but let's not kid ourselves, UMD was very good that year.

• Upvote 1

Haha...hockey has changed since then old timer....more and more American kids play the game now and more top end talent is playing college hockey than defecting (even including the past 1-3 years). You can't compare todays college hockey to the early 80's/90's.

Also, you noted it took them 10 years to win after the Circus.....it's been over a decade since we've won one and look who has came through our program. I do appreciate the talented hockey players I was able to watch however.

True statements. It has changed big time. No player will score as many points in a season as Hrkac did or as many points in a career as Johnson did. More kids are playing, and they are playing all year round, finishing high school away from home in order to become better players. It seems like that should make it more difficult to be in the hunt for the big prize on a consistent basis, but I'm not sure how that works, to be honest.

I just know we are lucky to be able to watch such good hockey year in and year out.

• Upvote 1

This was awesome. I can't wait for tomorrow when they televise the rest on UND Sports Extra. What a great group of guys. The emotion on the guys faces are so genuine and real it just gives you goose bumps. They give us so much and us the fans love them for it.

in fairness though we got away with alot as well. the refs were consistent in virtually not calling anything.

While that is true, I hate the argument when calls or non-calls are 10 to 1 in favor of the opponent, like they were in this one. For that reason I wanted the Sioux to wrap up and hold the Bemidji players when they had their long forages in the Sioux zone, exactly like Bemidji did to the Sioux. Then maybe the whistles would have come out. I hate it when virtual tackles and stick take downs that prevent a player from getting to the net with the puck go uncalled.

True statements. It has changed big time. No player will score as many points in a season as Hrkac did or as many points in a career as Johnson did. More kids are playing, and they are playing all year round, finishing high school away from home in order to become better players. It seems like that should make it more difficult to be in the hunt for the big prize on a consistent basis, but I'm not sure how that works, to be honest.

I just know we are lucky to be able to watch such good hockey year in and year out.

Agreed, just upsetting with how many draft picks we have on our team each year. In most cases, the teams we play have far less talent (on paper) than we do and more of our players go on to have successful NHL careers.....one would think we would take down more national titles. Just unlucky I guess (that's funny because we have more than most schools). It is a double-edged sword because we get there so often (which is great) but the season always ends in heart break fashion. Hopefully we're the lucky one's this year, I am just not feeling overly confident.