SiouxSports.com Forum

NORTH DAKOTA vs. BEMIDJI STATE - Saturday SENIOR NIGHT

AZSIOUX

Did I miss something? Is the season over? I thought we still had a chance to win the league? And the NCAA tournament? Guess not. ???

You missed the news this am...Coach Hakstol is scheduling a press conference for later today where he will announce that even if UND wins its opening playoff series, the team will decline the invitation to the Final Five and just call it a season.

You missed the news this am...Coach Hakstol is scheduling a press conference for later today where he will announce that even if UND wins its opening playoff series, the team will decline the invitation to the Final Five and just call it a season.

Wait....I've got tickets!!!

Nope, Miami lost on Friday to a terrible Ohio State team so obviously they don't have a shot to win an NCAA title.

Missed that, is Lowell still consistent enough lately to consider them, or can absolutely no one win?

Lowell lost at home to UMass two weeks ago and 4-0 to Merrimack two days ago. Their season's over too.

In that case, I give up. not sure who we are flogging on with these facetious posts, but I'll give it up if you will :)

Which brings me back to the Duluth championship mentioned earlier. No team played as poorly as Duluth down the stretch, and although they made it to St.Paul, they absolutely stunk it up against Bemidji. When the game was tied going into the third, I said to my kid, " we're going to see the Connely line over and over again in the third", but that didn't happen. In fact, it hardly happened at all, they were benched for the most part. Which led me to believe Scott was satisified with losing that game, either to get more rest before the NCAA's (they were in without doing anything in St. Paul) or, he followed the math, and saw the chances of getting sent east to the Yale region were really good with a loss. Not sure which it was, but had to be one/or both of them.

I heard that the NCAA was going to hold a press conference tomorrow to announce that no teams were worthy of playing in their tournament this year.

Which brings me back to the Duluth championship mentioned earlier. No team played as poorly as Duluth down the stretch, and although they made it to St.Paul, they absolutely stunk it up against Bemidji. When the game was tied going into the third, I said to my kid, " we're going to see the Connely line over and over again in the third", but that didn't happen. In fact, it hardly happened at all, they were benched for the most part. Which led me to believe Scott was satisified with losing that game, either to get more rest before the NCAA's (they were in without doing anything in St. Paul) or, he followed the math, and saw the chances of getting sent east to the Yale region were really good with a loss. Not sure which it was, but had to be one/or both of them.

I agree with you 100%. I think the Pairwise has become a little too easy to figure out and its quite possible that the integrity of the game has gone right out the window in exchange for getting healthy and a 'better draw' in the tournament.

I agree with you 100%. I think the Pairwise has become a little too easy to figure out and its quite possible that the integrity of the game has gone right out the window in exchange for getting healthy and a 'better draw' in the tournament.

With that, it would seem that a 3 or 4 seed from the WCHA has the best chance of going to the Quinnipiac region. That looks better than becoming a second 1 seed along with MN out of the WCHA. A 2 seed is almost guaranteed to be in what we'd think of as a "region of death".

Right now, St. Cloud and Denver are the best positioned to be the team to the Quinnipiac region.

I think they'll win one game in the NCAA's and lose on a poor effort. I had real high hopes at the start of the season but this team comes to play very infrequently. They can hang with any team in the country....but they could always lose to any team in the country too. Watch, next weekend BSU won't come within 3 goals either night to the Goofs....at home. We had a chance to win the Cup and now it's almost 0% as MN will sweep BSU (bad). It's lapses like the Sioux have that will cost them a Nat'l title. They have the talent to win one....but no way they will. Not sure what the problem is....their loaded with talent.

Agreed. Of course you're never going to get through to most of these blind sheep on here. They are the same people who didn't lose a wink of sleep when we lost in 04,07,or 11. When we lost to Michigan in our last FF, it was because they had such a "hot goalie". Nevermind the fact that Duluth went on to light up that "hot goalie" like a Xmas tree the next game.

It's hliarious how people that have expectations and get pissed when we don't live up to them or choke games away the way this squad so consistently does (how we give up a multiple goal lead against MN in the 3rd and people STILL weren't pissed off on here is still BEYOND me) get bashed the way they do. We haven't won a title in 13 years...and we're "supposed" to be one of the best programs in the country.

Ohh Ohh Ohh but we've BEEN close at least! Look at programs like Alaska Anchorage..or Tech...they'd LOVE to trade places with us! Nevermind the fact that the Gophers have 2 titles, Duluth and Wisco have one, BC has how many, etc, etc since we have. We need to focus on the WORST teams in the country and just be happy that we aren't them!

Teams under this regime choke in the big spot when something worthwhile is on the line. But the blind homers will give you a million reasons of why they lost and why it's justified that they did.

Agreed. Of course you're never going to get through to most of these blind sheep on here. They are the same people who didn't lose a wink of sleep when we lost in 04,07,or 11. When we lost to Michigan in our last FF, it was because they had such a "hot goalie". Nevermind the fact that Duluth went on to light up that "hot goalie" like a Xmas tree the next game.

It's hliarious how people that have expectations and get pissed when we don't live up to them or choke games away the way this squad so consistently does (how we give up a multiple goal lead against MN in the 3rd and people STILL weren't pissed off on here is still BEYOND me) get bashed the way they do. We haven't won a title in 13 years...and we're "supposed" to be one of the best programs in the country.

Ohh Ohh Ohh but we've BEEN close at least! Look at programs like Alaska Anchorage..or Tech...they'd LOVE to trade places with us! Nevermind the fact that the Gophers have 2 titles, Duluth and Wisco have one, BC has how many, etc, etc since we have. We need to focus on the WORST teams in the country and just be happy that we aren't them!

Teams under this regime choke in the big spot when something worthwhile is on the line. But the blind homers will give you a million reasons of why they lost and why it's justified that they did.

Lack of a championship hurts no doubt. Eades said it best. Success is marked by championships at UND. When the bar is set that high unfortunately anything less is seen as a huge failure.

Sigh......it has turned into Gpl over here though. Lot of vultures that love to jump on these kids when getting ain't so good.

If the Gopher/Beaver series is called similarily to our series this weekend(i.e. WCHA, circa 2002) and the Gophs only get 5 power play opportunities all weekend I predict that the Gophs will come up a little short of 4 points as well.

In that case, I give up. not sure who we are flogging on with these facetious posts, but I'll give it up if you will :)

I'll never forget how laid back Duluth was after losing. Hobey baker Connelly was laughing in the hand shake line with beaver players, and for that matter all game. Completely different team come tourney time.

When we lost to Michigan in our last FF, it was because they had such a "hot goalie". Nevermind the fact that Duluth went on to light up that "hot goalie" like a Xmas tree the next game.

We haven't won a title in 13 years...and we're "supposed" to be one of the best programs in the country.

Nevermind the fact that the Gophers have 2 titles, Duluth and Wisco have one, BC has how many...

LOL...I have never heard a goalie losing a national championship game by a 3-2 score in OT referred to as being 'lit up like a Christmas tree,' but ok...

Minnesota hasn't won a title in 10 years, almost as long as ND's 13. Wisconsin's was a fluke...regional in Green Bay and Frozen Four in Milwaukee. To me, it speaks volumes about the depth of the WCHA itself when you have five different schools with national titles in the past thirteen seasons. No other conference can claim that kind of success since 2000. They're not even close.

• Upvote 1

The Michigan example is very similar to the 1-0 Denver loss several years earlier. Both Michigan and Denver played not to lose, and were totally dominated, but played that ropeadope game and won. 1 in 100 chance but it happened twice in the last 13. Michigan went back to their normal game against Duluth, and got to OT. They obviously didn't think their chances were real good beating the Sioux straight up. I can't fault the Sioux effort in either loss.

Bemidji played the same game as those 2 this weekend, and being less talented, managed a tie, but would not have without the favorable no whistles (same as the Denver loss, when tackling and interference was allowable).

I'm confused why some people even bother to follow this team if all they do is disappoint them.

Plenty of cold Friday and Saturday nights to ice fish. Although you'll get disappointed if you don't catch anything every time you put your line in.