SiouxSports.com Forum

NORTH DAKOTA vs. BEMIDJI STATE - Saturday SENIOR NIGHT

AZSIOUX

No need....I believe you said you were in the Cities before....come for a skate? We need some guys this week.

I am in the vicinity, yes, but alas, I can't skate worth a damn. If you ever get a broomball game going though, I'm your guy!

scpa, I just noticed you voted Saturday for the brunch...would you be able to make Friday if I went with that day? That's going to be the likely winner.

I am in the vicinity, yes, but alas, I can't skate worth a damn. If you ever get a broomball game going though, I'm your guy!

scpa, I just noticed you voted Saturday for the brunch...would you be able to make Friday if I went with that day? That's going to be the likely winner.

Not 100% sure....but maybe. I am out of town next week on vacation and will most likely be swamped with work when I get back. I have to make sure I get most of my stuff done that week to focus on what's really important that weekend....another chip. Anyway, I can attempt to make it. Is it a big get together? I have tons of buddys that come down every year to the final five...we mostly hang out downtown St. Paul. Embassy suites...Holiday in, McGuverns, etc.

Didn't you guys know, when your a great, historic, and known for extreme talent hockey team, your not suppose to lose any game? I can't wait for that undefeated season so these "real fans" can be satisfied.......

Man I wish this nationally 6th ranked team and 2nd ranked conference team didn't suck so bad!!

Bahhhhh Bahhhhh! Go sheep Go!

ooooo we are ranked 6th in the beginning of March!!!

Take that to the store and see how many loaves of bread you come home with in April.

Who cares how we are ranked in the regular season? You be proud of that this offseason while the team probably CHOKES another postseason away. At least you'll still have something to hang your hat on.

I forgot it's a crime on SS to have expectations. We need to be "ok" with being UND and letting our ancient past speak for itself. Don't let the fact that we have choked numerous opportunities away the last decade. Nahhhhh....that'd be something a "non-fan" would do.

"UND..home of high expectations with mediocre results! But, but, but, we are ranked 6th in March!" Sorry, but that's not the hockey program I grew up watching, or the schools mantra when I was a student there.

• Upvote 3

Take that to the store and see how many loaves of bread you come home with in April.

Who cares how we are ranked in the regular season? You be proud of that this offseason while the team probably CHOKES another postseason away. At least you'll still have something to hang your hat on.

I forgot it's a crime on SS to have expectations. We need to be "ok" with being UND and letting our ancient past speak for itself. Don't let the fact that we have choked numerous opportunities away the last decade. Nahhhhh....that'd be something a "non-fan" would do.

"UND..home of high expectations with mediocre results! But, but, but, we are ranked 6th in March!" Sorry, but that's not the hockey program I grew up watching, or the schools mantra when I was a student there.

A little intense....but I agree 100%. Next year will be a tough year to be a top nationally ranked team...not impossible but a lot tougher than that of this year's team. I know a lot of you will say we have high turnover every year and we are stil good, but, at some point is it too much to ask for another Natty? You're only as good as you are on paper.

A little intense....but I agree 100%. Next year will be a tough year to be a top nationally ranked team...not impossible but a lot tougher than that of this year's team. I know a lot of you will say we have high turnover every year and we are stil good, but, at some point is it too much to ask for another Natty? You're only as good as you are on paper.

Agreed. It is a little "intense", but the OP makes some pretty valid points. I for one am not satisfied that our last title was so long ago. We expect/demand better than that around here, and I would think any reasonable fan would feel the same way. A title once a decade isn't too much to "expect".

Hopefully this year is the year we get it done. Although I'm not sure the mentality is there for a Championship type team. I think it's evidenced by the way we so often let up a goal just a few seconds or a minute after we score one. This team doesn't seem to have that "killer instinct", but I don't get paid to coach hockey..so it's just an opinion.

We'll see how it goes. Ya just never know.

• Upvote 2

Agreed. It is a little "intense", but the OP makes some pretty valid points. I for one am not satisfied that our last title was so long ago. We expect/demand better than that around here, and I would think any reasonable fan would feel the same way. A title once a decade isn't too much to "expect".

Hopefully this year is the year we get it done. Although I'm not sure the mentality is there for a Championship type team. I think it's evidenced by the way we so often let up a goal just a few seconds or a minute after we score one. This team doesn't seem to have that "killer instinct", but I don't get paid to coach hockey..so it's just an opinion.

We'll see how it goes. Ya just never know.

Exactly, especially for how close we get every year. At some point how doesn't a team just get lucky and string a couple of wins together late a win the whole thing. I do hope that is this year.

I think this team has been somewhat frustrating for many fans this year. That might come from the number of instances where it feels like we left points "on the table", so to speak, like this past Saturday's tie with BSU.

But I also think there is one positive with this team. They are hard to beat. Only 4 teams have fewer losses, and two of those (Niagara and Quinnipiac) play what most would consider to be a softer schedule.

There is no dominant team this year. MN has looked like world beaters one game and wife beaters the next. They probably have the most talent, but this could very easily be one of those years like 2007 where a team like MSU gets hot at the right time and comes out of nowhere to win the title. Not saying it will happen, but it could very easily.

Mein Gott. Why even bother to watch the games if you're only disappointed with the team every season.

I want another national championship as much as the next Sioux fan, but some fans here are so quick to write off this team (or past Sioux teams).

Did we have teams in the past decade capable of winning the title? Of course. It sucked watching some of them dominate all season and then come up short in the end. But that's hockey sometimes. The best team doesn't always bring home the hardware.

Either way, I'm going to enjoy watching the rest of the games this season. We have an incredible group of seniors and players this year and I would love to see them go out on top. But if they don't, I'll still enjoy the ride that they've taken us on...through both the ups and the downs.

Yes sir. All of it.

Mein Gott. Why even bother to watch the games if you're only disappointed with the team every season.

I want another national championship as much as the next Sioux fan, but some fans here are so quick to write off this team (or past Sioux teams).

Did we have teams in the past decade capable of winning the title? Of course. It sucked watching some of them dominate all season and then come up short in the end. But that's hockey sometimes. The best team doesn't always bring home the hardware.

Either way, I'm going to enjoy watching the rest of the games this season. We have an incredible group of seniors and players this year and I would love to see them go out on top. But if they don't, I'll still enjoy the ride that they've taken us on...through both the ups and the downs.

Yes, I just hope you aren't one of the SIoux fans using total number of Natty's in the "who's best" arguement between us and the Gophs, or BC, or whomever. At some point...we need to win another if we're going to jump on that "go to" point to make most of our arguments. At some point that 2001 natty is going to be a championship won a long, long time ago.

Look at the recruits BC is starting to get every year....it's because they win a lot (recently). I'm guessing McCoshen chose BC over us because they contend (actually contend) for the national title every single year. I for one am hoping that changes this year.

• Upvote 1

I've been a Sioux hockey fan longer than almost everybody on here (showing my age), and although it hasn't always ended the way I would like, I wouldn't trade it for anything.

Almost every year I come into the season thinking it could be a NCAA Championship year, even last year when I was expecting a very average record the team came within a game of making the Frozen Four.

Have the losses hurt? Damn right, certain ones in particular are hard to forget. The Michigan loss took a long time to get over, in fact I'm not sure I'm over it yet 2 years later.

But in the end I would rather live and die with a team that year-in year-out puts a team on the ice that is a threat to win it all than follow an average team that makes a great run and wins one every x-many years...or only one ever.

Keep the faith people, #8 will come...hopefully this year.

• Upvote 1

I've been a Sioux hockey fan longer than almost everybody on here (showing my age), and although it hasn't always ended the way I would like, I wouldn't trade it for anything.

Almost every year I come into the season thinking it could be a NCAA Championship year, even last year when I was expecting a very average record the team came within a game of making the Frozen Four.

Have the losses hurt? Damn right, certain ones in particular are hard to forget. The Michigan loss took a long time to get over, in fact I'm not sure I'm over it yet 2 years later.

But in the end I would rather live and die with a team that year-in year-out puts a team on the ice that is a threat to win it all than follow an average team that makes a great run and wins one every x-many years...or only one ever.

Keep the faith people, #8 will come...hopefully this year.

That one hurt physically. There was a BC one while I was in school....like '04 or '05 that hurt bad too. Actually I think we lost to BC back to back years....when Boyle was on BC. Those hurt bad.

I have no idea even how to take a response like this?

If them being ranked 5th now in the country is meaningless to you, why are you on here? You have the top five teams in the country in every sport, do they take turns winning so each team wins it every ten years? If you could listen to yourself, you make no sense! If college hockey was a playoff format for the FF, I would be just as upset as you. This is one and done, that's reality, like has been said a billion times, "the best team doesn't always win"!!! Your comment after a lose would make me look at you like a rodent fan saying things like that after them KIDS work their ass' off all year, not only for themselves and their brotherhood, but for you and me also, and then the worse thing happens and they lose!! Show some respect!!!

• Upvote 1

That one hurt physically. There was a BC one while I was in school....like '04 or '05 that hurt bad too. Actually I think we lost to BC back to back years....when Boyle was on BC. Those hurt bad.

Yeah the BC losses 3 years in a row were a kick in the nuts too.

It's funny the 2000 and 2001 teams are brought up here, because their predecessors that were "supposed" to win it all ('98 and '99) never even made the Frozen Four.

I was at Yost in 1998 for the "upset" at the hands of Michigan and its 6,000+ fans. What a total bummer that was.

• Upvote 1

I was at Yost in 1998 for the "upset" at the hands of Michigan and its 6,000+ fans. What a total bummer that was.

And I was in Madison with like 250 other people for the '99 upset loss to BC. Longest. Drive. Home. Ever.

And I was in Madison with like 250 other people for the '99 upset loss to BC. Longest. Drive. Home. Ever.

That was the Anaheim frozen four year. For some reason when frozen fours are played in warm weather states UND doesn't end up there.