SiouxSports.com Forum

NORTH DAKOTA vs. BEMIDJI STATE - Saturday SENIOR NIGHT

AZSIOUX

Without reaching a conclusion that it is right or wrong, I will say that the Sioux teams of the middle of the last decade, those anchored by the wicked physical defensemen referenced in my signature, were built to win Stanley Cup style playoff series. Those are wars of attrition, and I understand that later in the playoffs, lockerrooms look like medical wards. In that format, those Sioux teams would have worn out the opponent in series after series, and I'm quite convinced they would have won multiple titles. As it was, UND's very physical style left them battered as well, only to move on to the next opponent, which hadn't been in a physical battle. That may partially explain why BC sometimes looked so much fresher than UND. (Although to be fair, the group of defensemen I referenced above didn't get to see BC in the tournament, except when they beat them to win the Beanpot.)

I've wondered if UND's shift to more puck-movers or two-way defensemen, and fewer mashers, has been partly by design to move away from building a playoff-series style team. Although I've wondered it, I doubt it has been planned; it might just be that the certain top defensemen UND has been able to land have been more that style.

Also on this topic, the Frattin team combined those horses on the first line with Blood and Mac on defense. That was a team definitely built to wear out a team over a week.

When did you grow up watching Sioux hockey? It took them 10 years to win a banner after the Circus left town. Don't even get me started on the teams from the late 80s/early 90s. Some of those teams had more offensive firepower than UND has ever had, with G Johnson, Dixon Ward, Russ R and others, yet they couldn't make it into the tourney some years. The '97 team got lucky that BU took down the prohibitive favorite. The '98 and '99 teams were supposed to win it all, but the coaching must not have been good enough, or the teams did not want it bad enough, or the fans just didn't care enough, because they just choked it up, at least in your mind. As for UND's ancient "glorious past," how many banners did they win between the time Kennedy was elected and 1980? What a pathetic program.

Do you go to the games because you love the game, or are you just looking for someone else to accomplish something that will give you some second-hand validation you are lacking in other areas of your life? You are mistaking childishness for pride.

The sioux have to win the ncaa this year, sense the first time they won it they havnt gone more then 13 years sense wining it!

It's OK. I think we all want this to be the year.

^^Agreed^^

Wow. What an entertaining thread. The bottom line is we can all agree to disagree with some of the posts presented here and hopefully not take things too personally. But we are all unified in our support and passion for the team called the Fighting Sioux. We all bleed black, green, and white. And we all hate rodents and pios. :D

I am looking forward to meeting some of you at the Hoggsbreath and putting a face to some of these names and toasting a few cold ones to "The Team".

• Upvote 3

So regular season and conference tournament championships aren't considered success to you then? You must just cringe when you see the banners for those hanging from the rafters or walls of the REA. The nerve of UND celebrating and glorifying things that some fans don't deem as success. If you think that acknowledging those as accomplishments is acting "high and mighty" than I don't know what to tell you.

Is reading comprehension not your thing? That's not what I got from his post at all. Obviously a lot of fans are going to consider "NCAA Championships" the ULTIMATE prize and ULTIMATE success. So because of that, those same fans can't still enjoy the smaller ones? He's right...stop acting so "high and mighty", step down from the high horse that you're too foolish to know you are on and accept other people's opinions for what they are. "OPINIONS". No need to mock people for them the way you did.
  • Upvote 1