SiouxSports.com Forum

Indian nicknames in the news

jimdahl

• 2 weeks later...

I got a 1 day ban on reddit CFB for the highlighted post below....

image.png.cffa1b15120f8f2bf8e8ae7ed6917ded.png

This is the rule they claim I broke!

3. No racism, homophobia, sexism, rape jokes, victim blaming, or other bigotry

We want /r/CFB to be a friendly place for everyone. Even if you're joking, you never know when someone might misunderstand. This also applies to overly sexually- or racially-charged comments that may make groups of people feel uncomfortable or unwelcome. It also applies to jokes about sexual assault, rape, rape scandals, and jokes about domestic violence, as well as mental and developmental disorders. Using sexual assault, rape, domestic violence, or other such cases for flamebait also violates this rule.

• 3 months later...
1 minute ago, The Sicatoka said:

I'm guessing they wanted out from the word "Dixie" in today's climate. 

Idk

I've seen people saying its a good move because no one knows that Dixie State is in Utah and aligns them more with schools in Utah. Then the one's, like me, that wondered why it was called Dixie State to begin with and think its an good move. Then you have the ones claiming "wokeness" and hate all change.  

• Upvote 1

18 minutes ago, cberkas said:

I've seen people saying its a good move because no one knows that Dixie State is in Utah and aligns them more with schools in Utah. Then the one's, like me, that wondered why it was called Dixie State to begin with and think its an good move. Then you have the ones claiming "wokeness" and hate all change.  

To honor its co-founders, Rect and Normous.

• Upvote 2

• 1 month later...
On 6/11/2021 at 1:24 PM, cberkas said:

Idk

That was the excuse given for dropping Trojans and going to eagles at Crookston.  To align with the other UM campuses. 

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

• 1 month later...
  • 3 months later...

Washington Football Team now the Washington Commanders.  You cannot make this up.  I am only attaching one of the links to this new name for the Washington football team, and people are already mocking it.  People calling them the "Commies" already, and who thought this was a great idea for a team based in our nation's capital?  There is only one "Commander" in DC and how if this going to play out based on what party is in office?  Is there anyone doing real marketing, or have common sense in the time we now live in?

Washington Football Team — after scrubbing 'offensive' Redskins name in 2020 — is now the Commanders. And mockers are already nicknaming team 'Commies.' - TheBlaze

This is what happens when you try to conform to cancel culture.  I was not a fan of the old Redskins name, nor Braves, Chiefs, Savages, etc.   I think they are in a far different category than the Sioux, Utes, Seminoles, Quakers, Sooners, Pioneers, etc.  Everyone has an opinion, but this is what "cancel culture" is now defining.

• Upvote 1