SiouxSports.com Forum

Indian nicknames in the news

jimdahl

• 1 month later...
  • 3 months later...
8 minutes ago, Siouxperfan7 said:

Warroad Warriors........the end is inevitable.

In Warroad, concern mounts over Minnesota bills prohibiting the use of American Indian nicknames

https://www.grandforksherald.com/news/minnesota/in-warroad-concern-mounts-over-minnesota-bills-prohibiting-the-use-of-american-indian-nicknames

Elections have consequences. With the population of Minnesota being heavily based in the Metro and most of the elected officials in those districts not having to worry about being voted out of office the lunatic left is running the show in Minnesota. It is not a good thing when your legislature is trending on Twitter every other day during your legislative sessions....North Dakota has the same problem on the other end of the scale although the Republican party in ND has a little more of a breakup within the party between the right wing kooks, the moderate republicans and the socilaist wing of the Republican party which has dwindled bit since the oil boom.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

The name Warriors isn’t specific to Native Americans. They may try to eliminate the imagery. I don’t recall seeing a mascot. 
As long as Henry Boucha is able relate the history of the school and the name it’s not likely to change. 
I would be curious to know if any impetus for change originates from the respective communities. 

1 hour ago, iramurphy said:

The name Warriors isn’t specific to Native Americans. They may try to eliminate the imagery. I don’t recall seeing a mascot. 
As long as Henry Boucha is able relate the history of the school and the name it’s not likely to change. 
I would be curious to know if any impetus for change originates from the respective communities. 

Merrimack gets away with "Warriors" with the NCAA. No imagery. An "MC" logo. 

With an "MC" logo ... shouldn't they be the ... Hammers? <-- Can't touch that! 

giphy.gif

• Upvote 3

• 2 months later...
On 3/28/2023 at 11:10 AM, SIOUXFAN97 said:

walz gonna take away the warriors name...this will be fun.

They need approval from all 11 recognized Minnesota tribes...

https://www.grandforksherald.com/news/minnesota/warroad-public-schools-to-request-exemption-from-law-banning-use-of-native-american-nicknames

I thought I would put this article in the Herald on this site about Warroad's fight to keep the Warrior's name.

Warroad Public Schools to request exemption from law banning use of Native American nicknames - Grand Forks Herald | Grand Forks, East Grand Forks news, weather & sports

Looking at the requirements, I do not think there is any way that they will be able to maintain the nickname is the cancel culture times we live in now.  The Minnesota legislature made that pretty clear in the writing of the bill.  What do you think the odds are in their fight?

4 hours ago, KSSioux said:

Looking at the requirements, I do not think there is any way that they will be able to maintain the nickname is the cancel culture times we live in now.  The Minnesota legislature made that pretty clear in the writing of the bill.  What do you think the odds are in their fight?

Just slightly above zero.

4 hours ago, KSSioux said:

I thought I would put this article in the Herald on this site about Warroad's fight to keep the Warrior's name.

Warroad Public Schools to request exemption from law banning use of Native American nicknames - Grand Forks Herald | Grand Forks, East Grand Forks news, weather & sports

2% Milk chance

35 minutes ago, The Sicatoka said:

Chance? Slim and none, ... and I just saw Slim ride out of town on his horse.

The tribes will do nothing, let the clock run out, and then say the MN Legislature did it. 

Ive-seen-this-one GIFs - Get the best GIF on GIPHY

• Like 1
  • Upvote 3

• 2 weeks later...
21 minutes ago, andtheHomeoftheSIOUX!! said:

They should become the Flying Dutchman (the boat). 
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Flying_Dutchman 

Odds they land on Garnet ... Hawks? 

• 2 weeks later...
17 minutes ago, The Sicatoka said:

Not, but sorta ...

The Colonial Athletic Association has changed its name to the Coastal Athletic Association. 

Colonial implies colonists or colonizers, and colonizers trigger some folks.  ... (We really need an "eating popcorn" emoji here.) 

Cripes

• 3 weeks later...
8 minutes ago, KSSioux said:

I do not think this will get much traction, but is interesting to see who is leading the charge to get the Redskins name back.  In the times we live in now, I cannot imagine that this will happen.  Interesting none the less.

Native American Guardian's Association NFL Redskins - TheBlaze

Educate...not eradicate.  Great article...the thought that you can actually learn from history instead of just cancelling it is a novel idea.:wink:

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

Not a nickname but feast your eyes on the final six candidates for the new Minnesota state flag....

https://m.startribune.com/minnesota-emblems-redesign-commission-aims-to-pick-five-finalists-tuesday-for-new-flag-seal/600321457/

The finalists favored by commission members signal a dramatic shift in imagery from Minnesota's long-standing state flag and seal, which have been criticized for decades as offensive to the state's tribal communities.

The seal, which is at the center of the state flag, shows a white settler plowing a field in the foreground while a Native American man rides on horseback into the sunset. Others have criticized the flag as poorly designed and too similar to other state flags.