SiouxSports.com Forum

Indian nicknames in the news

jimdahl

Should have met the terms of the agreement then.

Should have told them to f_ck off!

Most of the time in life diplomacy is the prudent course. Sometimes you need to tell people to f_ck off.

The gophers can f_ck off as they were major players in the name rape. I am going to Philadelphia and I will let them know it. Anyone have the seat right behind Lucia?? I want to keep an eye on him cause he might get a bit feeling under the weather in that "unhealthy" environment.

This kills me. Here in ND the argument was over whether or not the logo was racist, hostile and abusive, etc. and whether we should keep it or not. In Florida the argument is whether to keep the old logo or the new logo! Just look at the title of the article..."New FSU logo has fueled emotions". One would think those emotions are either pro or anti Native American imagery. Nope - it's whether you like the old Seminole head logo or the new-aged Seminole head logo.

Like it, love it, can't stand it? New FSU logo has fueled emotions

This kills me. Here in ND the argument was over whether or not the logo was racist, hostile and abusive, etc. and whether we should keep it or not. In Florida the argument is whether to keep the old logo or the new logo! Just look at the title of the article..."New FSU logo has fueled emotions". One would think those emotions are either pro or anti Native American imagery. Nope - it's whether you like the old Seminole head logo or the new-aged Seminole head logo.

Like it, love it, can't stand it? New FSU logo has fueled emotions

As much as I hate the fact we had to give up the Sioux moniker, I smile whenever I see that white kid riding a horse in "war paint" at Seminoles' games since the NC$$'s epic hypocrisy is on display to millions.

As much as I hate the fact we had to give up the Sioux moniker, I smile whenever I see that white kid riding a horse in "war paint" at Seminoles' games since the NC$$'s epic hypocrisy is on display to millions.

I also enjoy watching schools like Iowa, Wisconsin, and Minnesota revise their policies regarding playing schools with Native American nicknames so that it's ok for them to play Florida State because the NCAA approves of their imagery.

Here's what happened in Cleveland for the home baseball opener:

http://sports.yahoo.com/blogs/mlb-big-league-stew/cartoon-predicted-encounter-between-indians-fan-and-chief-wahoo-protester-221403256.html

I think even most supporters of the Sioux name have understood why caricatures of Native Americans and dressing in "redface" is offensive to some people.

In my mind it's a matter of who is controlling the message. The Seminole tribe in Florida has given approval of the school's use of their name. They have control of the message.

Either Native American names are offensive or they aren't - it can't go both ways. Many of those that opposed Fighting Sioux weren't Native Americans but they still said they were insulted by it. If just one person, not even Native American, is insulted by the use of Seminoles as a nickname then those who are politically correct (and not hypocrites) should support that is one person too many and the name should be changed. But also I am certain you could find a member of the Seminole Tribe that would go on record as not wanting the name used for a sports team - but the NCAA isn't looking in the same manner they did for North Dakota.
  • Upvote 1

Here's what happened in Cleveland for the home baseball opener:

http://sports.yahoo.com/blogs/mlb-big-league-stew/cartoon-predicted-encounter-between-indians-fan-and-chief-wahoo-protester-221403256.html

I think even most supporters of the Sioux name have understood why caricatures of Native Americans and dressing in "redface" is offensive to some people.

I love my Indians hats with Chief Wahoo. I find it funny how they want Indian sports teams changed but yet their sports teams on the Rez can have them. If their people aren't mascots what do you call the Mahnomen Indians?

• Upvote 1

I love my Indians hats with Chief Wahoo. I find it funny how they want Indian sports teams changed but yet their sports teams on the Rez can have them. If their people aren't mascots what do you call the Mahnomen Indians?

My youngest played in the grand am this past weekend. One of the teams that were there, all their players were Native, had a team name Sioux.

It is hard to make sense of it all.

Native Americans are not mascots.....unless they are being represented by native americans. I guess that is their logic.

So let me get this straight.

NoDak Nation, the reason these sheets are being hung to begin with, puts on a contest. In the rules it states they have to be clean (but you would think they would screen them in advance before putting them out there). Before this, I am sure they had have talks about what was acceptable vs not acceptable for sheets with administration.

So the banner gets put up, and gets tweeted. Don't you think if there was any problem with it another student organization would have not retweeted it across the UND sports digital media? If they thought for 1 second that this would cause an issue, would they have hit send?

edit: I am in no way shape or form blaming NoDak Nation, this was a great idea for this contest, I am just stating that if they had rules by the administration, and they felt that this sign did not break the rules, then they felt it was okay to send this sign across social media.

The PC police at UND are in full force.

http://www.grandfork...d-time-out-week

Not impressed with UND, or President Kelley on this one. Nowhere on the banner did it say anything about Native Americans. I know the nickname had to go, but now that the nickname has been retired, what more will it take to satisfy those who were opposed to the it? Because now according to President Kelley, even referring to having the nickname in the past is considered a "lack of sensitivity" that outweighs people's First Amendment rights.

• Upvote 3

Kelley is mad about timing it was put up, some kind of Indian time or something, but it's also the week of the Frozen Four so why would they put up a Frozen Four banner before UND was in it. What is Kelley and NA protesters going to do take the nickname away, oh wait already done.

Kelley is mad about timing it was put up, some kind of Indian time or something, but it's also the week of the Frozen Four so why would they put up a Frozen Four banner before UND was in it. What is Kelley and NA protesters going to do take the nickname away, oh wait already done.

There was a campus wide banner contest going on this week, that was sponsored by a UND student organization.

seems like a massive overreaction toward Gamma Phi, and that's someone who doesn't care about the nickname or the frozen four.

My youngest played in the grand am this past weekend. One of the teams that were there, all their players were Native, had a team name Sioux.

It is hard to make sense of it all.

this is a really easy issue, and it boggles my mind that so many of you refuse to understand it. It's willful ignorance.