SiouxSports.com Forum

Indian nicknames in the news

jimdahl

beyond stupid - when Kelly should do something ........will he ?

The people/students are purposely making a dig at UND's admin for their douchbaggery.

A way for them to get back at Kelley is all it is.

Nobody gets up in arms on St Patrick's day when everyone claims they drunken Irish. But that's clearly ethnic stereotyping.

There was something in the news about the student body president approving money for Spring Fest t-shirts and denying more money to the annual Pow Wow. Does anyone know if these were the t-shirts? If they were, heads should roll. If they were independently made, good luck in finding someone to be held accountable for this stupidity. This event is held on city property, not school property. How can Kelley police what people wear there?

Why can't they put the word Sioux on a T-shirt? Other than it was in bad taste for an event on UND's campus (based on recent history), I don't see why they cannot do what they did?

Everyone is calling for Kelley to do something. Like what?

There was something in the news about the student body president approving money for Spring Fest t-shirts and denying more money to the annual Pow Wow. Does anyone know if these were the t-shirts? If they were, heads should roll. If they were independently made, good luck in finding someone to be held accountable for this stupidity. This event is held on city property, not school property. How can Kelley police what people wear there?

I know for a fact that these were not the t-shirts in question.

Its a case of damned if you do and damned if you don't for UND administration. I really do not know how much they can really do in this case. It isn't a UND sponsored event, these t-shirts were privately funded (unless proven otherwise), and we don't know how many of them actually went to UND. To say its been a pretty bad 4-6 weeks for students/administration is an understatement. The biggest thing I fear in the short term is something being pulled at graduation. Long term: the movement to prevent any Sioux gear to be worn/ or anything Sioux said at games.

What I hate however, just because a few morons decide to do it, does not mean ALL UND students are racist.

I know for a fact that these were not the t-shirts in question.

Good to know!

So, back to what is Kelley suppose to do about t-shirts worn by people (students/not students/from GF/from Fargo) on not owned by the University property? Can the PC police demand, IDs and school affiliation from the t-shirt wearing idiots and penalize them? If affiliated with a sorority/fraternity but not wearing the t-shirts in their 'house' or on school property, can you censor them? Where do we draw the line between freedom of speech and breaking the rules/law? I used to think I could say anything I wanted (no matter how heinous anyone believes it to be)in the privacy of my own home and not face repercussions if that privacy is exploited. I don't anymore. We are fast becoming one of those countries we're helping to defend from governmental oppression . BTW, I'm more Blue than Red.

• Upvote 1

Good to know!

So, back to what is Kelley suppose to do about t-shirts worn by people (students/not students/from GF/from Fargo) on not owned by the University property? Can the PC police demand, IDs and school affiliation from the t-shirt wearing idiots and penalize them? If affiliated with a sorority/fraternity but not wearing the t-shirts in their 'house' or on school property, can you censor them? Where do we draw the line between freedom of speech and breaking the rules/law? I used to think I could say anything I wanted (no matter how heinous anyone believes it to be)in the privacy of my own home and not face repercussions if that privacy is exploited. I don't anymore. We are fast becoming one of those countries we're helping to defend from governmental oppression . BTW, I'm more Blue than Red.

Amen Sioux-cia, I am also more blue than red, but not on the topic of political correctness. I just heard on KFGO that some people want the students wearing the t-shirts expelled. Really? So doing typical college-aged stupid things should now be an expulsion-level offense? That is just going way too far. We retired the name and logo, but that just isn't good enough for them. If they start demanding that people be barred from wearing Fighting Sioux jerseys and other apparel to athletic events, that will be the last straw for me and a lot of other people on here.

Btw, I thought retiring the name and logo was supposed to help prevent "insensitive" actions like this from happening. So much for that idea.

Amen Sioux-cia, I am also more blue than red, but not on the topic of political correctness. I just heard on KFGO that some people want the students wearing the t-shirts expelled. Really? So doing typical college-aged stupid things should now be an expulsion-level offense? That is just going way too far. We retired the name and logo, but that just isn't good enough for them. If they start demanding that people be barred from wearing Fighting Sioux jerseys and other apparel to athletic events, that will be the last straw for me and a lot of other people on here.

Btw, I thought retiring the name and logo was supposed to help prevent "insensitive" actions like this from happening. So much for that idea.

I don't think they will ban any shirts that are of Sioux license, remember these shirts do NOT have the Sioux logo on it and could've been made at a shirt shop. If you wear a shirt with the Sioux logo either the previous logo or the geometric logo and the words Fighting Sioux on it that looks like it was "professionally" made not just a t-shirt shop it won't be banned. Question is will NA stop wearing Sioux gear altogether? I doubt it.

Pass me some of that reefer and tinfoil Darrell.

Why is that? Because someone who even commented on FB that she knows half the people and they aren't UND students, must be high right.

Her comment got a lot of likes in the comment section on VNL's FB page when they posted the story.

Why is that? Because someone who even commented on FB that she knows half the people and they aren't UND students, must be high right.

Her comment got a lot of likes in the comment section on VNL's FB page when they posted the story.

so let me get your logic straight, being from Fargo and not being a UND student automatically means they're NDSU-related? by your own logic, that makes you an NDSU person.

• Upvote 1

A person commented on a FB friend of mine's post about the article. Sounds like Bison fans to me.

because every 18-23 year old in Fargo is in college and attends NDSU? Not saying there werent any NDSU students in this pic, but lets not jump to conclusions

Good to know!

I'm good friends with most of these people, in fact one of them is my best friend and she's been threatened so much she's scared to leave her house. She left a huge apology on Twitter and Facebook last night but had to delete both due to the amount of death threats she was receiving. The logo (which I personally think is the only bad part of the shirts) was designed by Custom Ink, not them. AFTER seeing how the shirts turned out they knew it wasn't a good idea to wear them anywhere else so they put them on in the morning, off-campus where they lived, and took some pictures together. They didn't wear them around and flaunt them in public. It was never their intention to offend anyone, it was college kids trying to make a fun shirt for Spring Fest while hanging out with each other. None of them are even remotely racist, in fact a few of them are part native.

Let's just say that they've learned from it and they're beyond sorry. They've told me that it was a dumb mistake and that they had no idea anything like this would happen. There were actually a lot of kids on campus wearing very similar shirts that obviously aren't in the news at all. Never would have guessed it would be smarter to wear them in public than at your own place haha.

I think the death threats are a bit outrageous, and with any luck all of those people will be arrested and prosecuted since all the messages are being handed over to police and most of them include the real names and everything of the people. I did spend all afternoon/night with them during spring fest, just not the morning while they were wearing the shirts, so if there are things you'd like to ask I might be able to answer them, but obviously I can't answer everything.

This was NOT his twitter account. He deleted his on Sunday morning. This was someone who set up an impersonation account which is why the account is now banned.

• Upvote 1

I'm good friends with most of these people, in fact one of them is my best friend and she's been threatened so much she's scared to leave her house. She left a huge apology on Twitter and Facebook last night but had to delete both due to the amount of death threats she was receiving. The logo (which I personally think is the only bad part of the shirts) was designed by Custom Ink, not them. AFTER seeing how the shirts turned out they knew it wasn't a good idea to wear them anywhere else so they put them on in the morning, off-campus where they lived, and took some pictures together. They didn't wear them around and flaunt them in public. It was never their intention to offend anyone, it was college kids trying to make a fun shirt for Spring Fest while hanging out with each other. None of them are even remotely racist, in fact a few of them are part native.

Let's just say that they've learned from it and they're beyond sorry. They've told me that it was a dumb mistake and that they had no idea anything like this would happen. There were actually a lot of kids on campus wearing very similar shirts that obviously aren't in the news at all. Never would have guessed it would be smarter to wear them in public than at your own place haha.

Didn't wear them around and flaunt them? One of the tweets said something to the effect of 'our shirts will get us in trouble i know it.' The other person was more than happy to take a selfie and post his photo on the internet. Now they want to plead ignorance?

I'm calling BS on the design too. Custom Ink may have done the artwork but it had to be approved by someone. You don't just pay for custom-made shirts without having some input into what you want the final product to look like.

• Upvote 3

Didn't wear them around and flaunt them? One of the tweets said something to the effect of 'our shirts will get us in trouble i know it.' The other person was more than happy to take a selfie and post his photo on the internet. Now they want to plead ignorance?

I'm calling BS on the design too. Custom Ink may have done the artwork but it had to be approved by someone. You don't just pay for custom-made shirts without having some input into what you want the final product to look like.

Custom Ink made it and when the person who bought it saw it they laughed and said sure. You know, something almost anyone in their early 20's would do. The stuff I've seen from people 18-25, I would say (not an exaggeration) at least 90% have said this whole thing is stupid and is being blown way out of proportion. I've actually seen probably 50 people online saying they wanted to buy one and actually seen some people say they placed orders on online shops to have them made.

The tweet about the knowing it would get them in trouble is why they chose not to wear them in public and around campus. The ones that did put the pictures online were doing it for their social media friends. They didn't think about other people seeing them, which obviously isn't smart and is what gets people into trouble a lot these days. Anything you put online is there for people to see and they didn't think about that.

They didn't mean to offend anyone. Period. I do know though, you're entitled to your own opinion and I respect that. They just gotta live with the embarrassment and death threats for a couple weeks until it blows over

This isn't going to die down, there's a group of people that want the University of North Dakota to take action against the people that wore these shirts. Check out this #siouxperdrunk

What's the University going to do though? They did nothing illegal, it was off campus and Spring Fest isn't a UND event. They didn't use a UND logo of any sort and basically none of them attend UND. I might be wrong, but I don't think UND can do much more than issue a statement basically saying sorry.

• Upvote 1

What's the University going to do though? They did nothing illegal, it was off campus and Spring Fest isn't a UND event. They didn't use a UND logo of any sort and basically none of them attend UND. I might be wrong, but I don't think UND can do much more than issue a statement basically saying sorry.

I don't know, I am not involved in this thing, but there's going to be a big push to take some kind of "meaningful" action against these students. Right or wrong, the shirts are tasteless and lack a bit sensibility. Death treats aren't cool either. This is just another incident that we don't need. Also, it seems like we've had more incidents like since the name was retired.

But @_RuthHopkins has 3000+ followers on Twitter and there's many major news people on this story right now. She's hitting it pretty hard, trying to pressure President Kelly to do something. They're going to keep the pressure on the UND President to do something. I don't know. I would tell your friends to lay low and stay off of social media for a while.

I have seen many different offensive shirts on kids out in about in the FM area. If these shirts aren't printed and are not available this doesn't happen. Good to see Custom Ink take some responsibility.

And this by no means gives the kids that wore the shirts a pass..........

• Upvote 2

I don't know, I am not involved in this thing, but there's going to be a big push to take some kind of "meaningful" action against these students. Right or wrong, the shirts are tasteless and lack a bit sensibility. Death treats aren't cool either. This is just another incident that we don't need. Also, it seems like we've had more incidents like since the name was retired.

But @_RuthHopkins has 3000+ followers on Twitter and there's many major news people on this story right now. She's hitting it pretty hard, trying to pressure President Kelly to do something. They're going to keep the pressure on the UND President to do something. I don't know. I would tell your friends to lay low and stay off of social media for a while.

What is UND going to do about it.. according to GFG none of them attend UND.