SiouxSports.com Forum

Indian nicknames in the news

jimdahl

A person commented on a FB friend of mine's post about the article. Sounds like Bison fans to me.

one of them is a friend ive known since i was little and she, along with a least half them, are from fargo and dont even go to und.

Have there been much local media coverage of this? I guess it's not illegal to be drunk and stupid - actually this was one of the reasons the liberals used for getting rid of the nickname - the inability of UND to control what fans from other schools do with the name - but the reality is making the name go away doesn't actually fix that.

Have there been much local media coverage of this? I guess it's not illegal to be drunk and stupid - actually this was one of the reasons the liberals used for getting rid of the nickname - the inability of UND to control what fans from other schools do with the name - but the reality is making the name go away doesn't actually fix that.

I pointed this exact same thing out years ago during ESPN's nationally-televised West Virginia/Gonzaga basketball game. Student Bulldog fans chanted "Brokeback Mountain" at the WVU players and several signs were seen in the stands referencing "Brokeback Mountaineers." Administration received video of the game from ESPN and conducted its own witch-hunt investigation into the incident. Several students were disciplined but no one EVER suggested that if only West Virginia had a different nickname, that ugly episodes like this wouldn't happen in the first place.

1. Its not UND's logo its more the Central Redskins logo

2. At least half are from Fargo and do NOT attend UND

3. If it were UND students...why not use one of the UND logos (past or present) and not this one.

My guess...Bison fans!!

1. Its not UND's logo its more the Central Redskins logo

2. At least half are from Fargo and do NOT attend UND

3. If it were UND students...why not use one of the UND logos (past or present) and not this one.

My guess...Bison fans!!

Way to go, Encyclopedia Brown!! Are you still charging $.25 per case?
  • Upvote 2

Way to go, Encyclopedia Brown!! Are you still charging $.25 per case?

Except BV will post this under my fake username and they will act like Bison fans could never do something like that...they are total saints at Moo U.

Bison fans aren't smart. Lakes is their representative, that should speak for itself.

Sorry, darell, I think it's pure speculation on your part to throw out "Bison fans" as likely culprits for this caper. I'll wait until I see some evidence of that first...and not a single random tweet about it.

• Upvote 1

Sorry, darell, I think it's pure speculation on your part to throw out "Bison fans" as likely culprits for this caper. I'll wait until I see some evidence of that first...and not a single random tweet about it.

Well if someone says that half of the pictured group are from Fargo and never attended UND that might be a clue this could be done by non-UND fans. I know it's a stretch thinking the saints from Moo U couldn't do this but I wouldn't put it past them. And Lakes saying on BV that the guy's twitter is SiouxSam is real, I am sure Lakes doesn't know anything about fake profile names.

Come to think of it...lakes's real first name is Sam. Hmmmm

Freedom of speech does come into play but it comes with repercussions - if these students aren't affiliated with any organization there really isn't anything that can be done to them. If the pictures were taken on private property is there anything that can be done? If you google Siouxper Dunk you will find a Twitter Account that bashes UND Administration for "allowing" people to wear these shirts - not sure that UND can do anything about it other than instructing their staff to not allow anyone wearing an offensive shirt to their event - which would be incredibly hard to monitor. It does pile on to the negative PR for UND but that can just as easily come from students fighting in alleys, falsifying signatures on petitions, shoplifting from stores. You really can't control how stupid people can be.