SiouxSports.com Forum

Indian nicknames in the news

jimdahl

cue the romeo and Juliet references........

who gives a !@#$, if your a real fan of UND you will support whatever stupid !@#$ they come up with. Good or not.   If not, apparently your time at UND didn't do much for your critical thinking and decision making skills.

No, No, No, No!!! :angry:

I don't care what other schools do.  I care what MY school does.  And "Green and White" is not an option.....EVER!  PERIOD! :angry:

I told people back in 2012 when Wayne Nelson and company started using "Green and White" as a substitute for "Fighting Sioux" that this would happen.  It has gotten stuck in some people's heads because of the Heraldo and other media outlets.

Having said all that, this won't happen.  UND isn't going to have this long, drawn out process and then pick something so bland, generic and non-descriptive as "Green and White".  They could do that without a "process" and they clearly have decided not to take that course.

Wow.

• Upvote 1

I don't know of any....if you go back and read through the thread my primary point is that if choosing one is indeed mandatory, then "Green and White" is a choice that would not necessitate a change in identity. My secondary point is that if fans are "rallying" around the no name hockey team, then they will rally around a team named after its colors. I happen to think that going without a name would be a viable option if permitted by the NCAA and make UND unique in contrast to your opinion that it is "DUMB". We will have to just disagree and leave it at that because getting into a pissing contest over whether going nameless is "DUMB" would be...err...DUMB.

How about this for a positioning:

Nicknames are antiquated, they come from a different time in the world of higher education. Today nicknames have become a source for insults, slurs, inappropriate chants and slogans. Therefore UND is choosing to focus on its entire community and promote and celebrate the entire University by choosing to NOT have a nickname. We are North Dakota. (Of course the NCAA will B**tch Slap us back into reality but hey it's something to talk about).  

How about this for a positioning:

Nicknames are antiquated, they come from a different time in the world of higher education. Today nicknames have become a source for insults, slurs, inappropriate chants and slogans. Therefore UND is choosing to focus on its entire community and promote and celebrate the entire University by choosing to NOT have a nickname. We are North Dakota. (Of course the NCAA will B**tch Slap us back into reality but hey it's something to talk about).  

You might have a better chance with that argument if large numbers of people weren't still  wearing Fighting Sioux clothing, weren't yelling Sioux at the end of the National Anthem, weren't yelling Sioux Yeah Yeah or other Sioux chants, etc.  The obvious reason that people don't want a new nickname chosen is so they can continue to use the old one.  No one is fooled by people wanting to just be North Dakota.

After reading the story in the GF Herald there is no way that no nickname is an option.

I take it you mean:

UND’s Women’s Basketball Coach Travis Brewster said in his experience, student athletes are struggling without a mascot to stand behind.

“Move forward for them,” he said to the forum attendees. “Move forward for the university.”

http://www.grandforksherald.com/content/alumni-opinion-highly-valued-und-nickname-decision

Wow.

That is how I feel about it.  I am actually more flexible on choice of a new name than most people on here, but there are limits.  Sun Dogs is a no-no.  Flames is a no-no.  Spirit is a no-no.  And Green and White is a no-no.  This is a decision that will live on long after all of us have left this world.  I want it to be done right the first time.

• Upvote 1

That is how I feel about it.  I am actually more flexible on choice of a new name than most people on here, but there are limits.  Sun Dogs is a no-no.  Flames is a no-no.  Spirit is a no-no.  And Green and White is a no-no.  This is a decision that will live on long after all of us have left this world.  I want it to be done right the first time.

It was done right the first time.  It was the Sioux.  Or was that the 2nd time, after the Flickertails?  Either way, it was already done right!

• Upvote 2

Student athletes are struggling due to no mascot?  Would it help if we brought this guy back?

FargoCity-20120831-00361.jpg

Ha. When I was in Student Senate I did everything I could to prevent that from happening. I had some angry people with me when myself and a couple others laughed at it and called it an embarrassment to the University and we refused to fund it............but they finally funded it through the letter winners I believe.(at least that who was in front of the Student Senate asking for $$$)

You might have a better chance with that argument if large numbers of people weren't still  wearing Fighting Sioux clothing, weren't yelling Sioux at the end of the National Anthem, weren't yelling Sioux Yeah Yeah or other Sioux chants, etc.  The obvious reason that people don't want a new nickname chosen is so they can continue to use the old one.  No one is fooled by people wanting to just be North Dakota.

These things won't stop with a new name. They may dwindle a bit in how often but I would expect most of these to be around for 15-20 years....maybe forever on the "Sioux" at the end of the anthem.

These things won't stop with a new name. They may dwindle a bit in how often but I would expect most of these to be around for 15-20 years....maybe forever on the "Sioux" at the end of the anthem.

Not me. I've already started yelling Sundogs at the end of the anthem......kinda seems like it's working so far!

They probably will continue for quite a while.  But CMSioux was trying to come up with a reason to give for UND not having a nickname and I was pointing out that the fans continuing to use the old nickname would show that his reason was a sham.

How about just sticking with green and white if no new nickname is not an option? That way we are not really being pushed into a new identity, we've always been green and white.

Because Green and "white" is obviously racist. No sane black, hispanic, or other minority athlete would tolerate that! 

They probably will continue for quite a while.  But CMSioux was trying to come up with a reason to give for UND not having a nickname and I was pointing out that the fans continuing to use the old nickname would show that his reason was a sham.

So what?  As long as the university's teams are not going by it, there's nothing hostile or abusive.  Just having "North Dakota" is a perfect solution.  No imagery.  No offensive displays of hostile and abusive monikers around campus or on the facia of the Ralph.  

• Upvote 1

So what?  As long as the university's teams are not going by it, there's nothing hostile or abusive.  Just having "North Dakota" is a perfect solution.  No imagery.  No offensive displays of hostile and abusive monikers around campus or on the facia of the Ralph.  

Try reading the entire conversation.  CM came up with a "positioning" statement to try and explain the use of North Dakota and not using a nickname. 

Nicknames are antiquated, they come from a different time in the world of higher education. Today nicknames have become a source for insults, slurs, inappropriate chants and slogans. Therefore UND is choosing to focus on its entire community and promote and celebrate the entire University by choosing to NOT have a nickname. We are North Dakota.

My point is and was that his "positioning" statement would be a waste of time because it is a completely transparent attempt to continue using the Fighting Sioux nickname.  A 6 year old could see through this "positioning".  No one is eliminating a nickname by UND using just North Dakota.  The nickname just isn't on the uniform.  Be honest about the intent, everyone can see it.

• Upvote 1