SiouxSports.com Forum

Indian nicknames in the news

jimdahl

Again, new to this, sorry. Anyone know if an injunction has been filed towards the ncaa? From a fanbase standpoint, I believe you could argue your rights are being violated. By allowing FSU and other teams to keep their nickname, they are discriminating against UND. Anyone try to have some of that fun? I also presume its past that point of trying, but I would be willing to bet could get the ncaa to pucker a bit. Please educate me. Again, sorry if thats needed

Again, new to this, sorry. Anyone know if an injunction has been filed towards the ncaa? From a fanbase standpoint, I believe you could argue your rights are being violated. By allowing FSU and other teams to keep their nickname, they are discriminating against UND. Anyone try to have some of that fun? I also presume its past that point of trying, but I would be willing to bet could get the ncaa to pucker a bit. Please educate me. Again, sorry if thats needed

You're 6-8 years late.  All legal means were attempted.  Here, http://www.ag.nd.gov/ncaa/SettlementAgreement.pdf, is the settlement agreement from the UND lawsuit against the NCAA.  The North Dakota Legislature tried putting the name in state law, and lost a lawsuit against the NCAA.  UND was not the only school that was forced to quit using a Native American nickname and/or logo, multiple other schools also lost either or both.  Approximately 6 schools were allowed to keep their nicknames out of more than 20 that had Native American names before the rule was put in place.  The only way the nickname could be used would be if UND left the NCAA, or if the NCAA ceased to exist and were replaced by another organization (and that organization would probably have a similar rule).

• 2 weeks later...

Todays StarTribune:

http://www.startribune.com/local/281223101.html?page=1&c=y

Vikings fan and Chippewa tribal member Nick Hjelden arrived at the stadium at 10:30 a.m., just in time to cross paths with the protesters. He proudly wore a Vikings Jersey.

“It’s ridiculous,” said Hjelden, who came to the game from North Dakota. “I don’t find it [the name] to be offensive. Everyone finds anything offensive these days. You could say the Vikings name is offensive because they were known for their raping and pillaging. It could give the Scandinavians a bad name. So the Indian names. No. They’re not offensive.”

Thought this was an interesting quote from the article.

Todays StarTribune:

http://www.startribune.com/local/281223101.html?page=1&c=y

Thought this was an interesting quote from the article.

Interesting because insiders at UND will tell you it was is members of the Chippewa Tribe that run the Native American Center at UND and make it very unfriendly to Lakota/Sioux, they are also the ones that were/are the most vocal about scrubbing the Sioux name from campus - some have said their reason for wanting to remove the Sioux name from campus is because of a long standing rivalry between Lakota/Sioux and Chippewas.

• Upvote 1

Interesting because insiders at UND will tell you it was is members of the Chippewa Tribe that run the Native American Center at UND and make it very unfriendly to Lakota/Sioux, they are also the ones that were/are the most vocal about scrubbing the Sioux name from campus - some have said their reason for wanting to remove the Sioux name from campus is because of a long standing rivalry between Lakota/Sioux and Chippewas.

So should we be the UND Fighting Chippewas? 

OMg how did we lose our nickname with Florida State still using a warrior sticking a spear into the field! Where were all the UND legal minds. Law school at ND? ??????

FSU? Seminole Tribe threw them a bone, giving tribal approval.

UND? Standing Rock Sioux Tribe threw us under the bus. 

Brings up a question...

Have any of the other Native nations been approached. None of their tribal names roll as well as Sioux, but the logo would still fit. Hidatsas? Mandan? Iriquois? How about Sakakawea's (Sacagawea's) nation (Shoshone?) as a tribute to her contribution to the Corps of Discovery?

That's the most insightful tidbit I've read on this issue in years.

That's the most insightful tidbit I've read on this issue in years.

I've spent some time on both reservations and never have witnessed this animosity. Maybe it is there with the chippewa at und?

I know many on the turtle mountain reservation were and are against the fighting sioux name. The general consensus I've noticed is they do not want to be thought of as a mascot by the white man who stole their land.

Nope........ Mighty Whities would be considered to be discriminatory too. Whites are not allowed to use their color in an assocciation.Only minorities are allowed that privilege.

There isn't an inch of land on this earth that has not been stolen from someone else. Mankind has mostly called it the spoils of war and Native Americans are just as guilty of it as everyone else. Through time, tribes at war with other tribes often took over (stole)the territory of the loser.

http://fansided.com/2014/11/03/phil-jackson-tweets-support-anti-redskins-protesters/

According to this story UND has opted not to choose a new nickname.

Jackson attended the University of North Dakota, which has opted to not adopt a new sports nickname since dropping the “Fighting Sioux” moniker for good after a statewide referendum in 2012.?

http://fansided.com/2014/11/03/phil-jackson-tweets-support-anti-redskins-protesters/

According to this story UND has opted not to choose a new nickname.

Jackson attended the University of North Dakota, which has opted to not adopt a new sports nickname since dropping the “Fighting Sioux” moniker for good after a statewide referendum in 2012.?

You're missing the key word "since" in that. We haven't used a moniker since the vote. Nothing says that's permanent. 

I sincerely hope just staying North Dakota is a serious option

I do think most folks would agree with this

Were not even close to accepting a new name & Kelly should back off & leave it to the next administration

Someone involved in the public forums needs to throw that option out so we hear whether or not it is an option. I'm guessing it's not an option - anti-nicknamers would say it just encourages perpetuating Fighting Sioux. I believe the NCAA has mandated a new name. UND needs it for marketing revenue.