SiouxSports.com Forum

Indian nicknames in the news

jimdahl

Rick Reilly hits the nail on the head. People seem to lose all power of logical thought when they are under the spell of political correctness.

http://espn.go.com/nfl/story/_/id/9689220/redskins-name-change-not-easy-sounds

Reilly said it. Ouch. 

Trust us. We know what's best. We'll take this away for your own good, and put up barriers that protect you from ever being harmed again.

Kind of like a reservation.

Rick Reilly hits the nail on the head. People seem to lose all power of logical thought when they are under the spell of political correctness.

http://espn.go.com/nfl/story/_/id/9689220/redskins-name-change-not-easy-sounds

...except that Rick Reilly's father-in-law was either "mis-quoted" or had a change of heart about his comments after this article was published...

http://ftw.usatoday.com/2013/10/rick-reilly-bob-burns-father-in-law

• 4 weeks later...

http://www.nativetimes.com/index.php/life/commentary/10985-giago-it-is-high-time-for-america-to-grow-up

Hasn't it been more than a few generations since anyone at UND dressed up like Native Americans? Hopefully he will do more than write about FSU.

I think he is referring to that incident where people dressed up as Indians at a sorority party. Which was not too long ago. I like how he kept referring to the "white fans" as taking the name away from them, hey you idiot you also took the name away from your own people who supported it. UND was not an all white college, it has more NA than any college in the state and a lot of them were and still are fans of the name and logo and what it stood for. This guy needs to look harder at Indian life and fix those problems, cause taking away Indian nicknames (off the Rez of course) isn't solving them.

The proud Lakota, Dakota and Nakota fought for years to get the racist moniker “Fighting Sioux” removed from the flags, T-shirts and banners of the University of North Dakota and we won.

It's convenient that he conveniently "forgets" that Spirit Lake made a late, vain attempt to keep the Sioux moniker ... :whistling:

Okay Corrie Wenzel of the Grand Forks Herald has fired the first shot across the bow when it comes to starting a campaign to remove Sioux clothing from UND hockey games. Here is his quote in an editorial in the Herald, "We wonder if the university is weary of Sioux-themed attire at hockey games, or the yelling of “Sioux” at the conclusion of the national anthem. If so, Mitchell would be wise to just say it." He is basically asking that Mitchell, the new VP of Diversity, make a statement asking fans to stop wearing Sioux clothing to hockey games. 

Okay Corrie Wenzel of the Grand Forks Herald has fired the first shot across the bow when it comes to starting a campaign to remove Sioux clothing from UND hockey games. Here is his quote in an editorial in the Herald, "We wonder if the university is weary of Sioux-themed attire at hockey games, or the yelling of “Sioux” at the conclusion of the national anthem. If so, Mitchell would be wise to just say it." He is basically asking that Mitchell, the new VP of Diversity, make a statement asking fans to stop wearing Sioux clothing to hockey games.

I'll stop my season tickets and any dollars going to UND ASAP if that happens.

• Upvote 3

Good luck with that one. They wouldn't be THAT stupid to do that.

I'm still of the opinion that no matter what the new moniker will be that people should still shout "GO SIOUX!" as reply to the use of the new moniker after a score or some other trigger. The use of "War Eagle" by Auburn Tigers would be an apt model to maintain the tradition of using Sioux outside the reach of the NC$$ and the bed wetters who campaigned for its demise, regardless of what the future moniker will be.

People at Dartmouth still wear Indians gear, and people wear Warrior gear at Marquette. It won't happen. Some people have too much time on their hands and need to get a life.

You're going to see the old gear and hear the old word until it is replaced.

You don't hear Satans, Wops, or Redskins much now at Devils Lake, Wahpeton, or GF Central anymore.

If you looked up the definition of apples to oranges in the saying dictionary there is a good chance you would see this^ post.

Won't happen. If UND wants change they need a new logo/brand and clothing will gradually change. Free speech trumps political correctness. UND officials need to focus on upgrading facilities and increasing financial support for our athletic programs. If they want to work on behavior buy a tee shirt that says " I'm a dumb ass " for everyone who yells "who's he he sucks sh.." When opponents are introduced. On second thought, anyone with an IQ above 80 knows that without seeing the tee shirt. Obviously one of my pet peeves and it's embarrassing to see our students aren't clever enough to come up with something better than that.

• Upvote 1

If you looked up the definition of apples to oranges in the saying dictionary there is a good chance you would see this^ post.

You saw GFC Redskins gear while they had no name. Then, after they adopted the Knights name, the Redskins gear slowly faded away replaced with Knights gear. That is precisely the same situation.

• Upvote 1

Won't happen. If UND wants change they need a new logo/brand and clothing will gradually change. Free speech trumps political correctness. UND officials need to focus on upgrading facilities and increasing financial support for our athletic programs. If they want to work on behavior buy a tee shirt that says " I'm a dumb ass " for everyone who yells "who's he he sucks sh.." When opponents are introduced. On second thought, anyone with an IQ above 80 knows that without seeing the tee shirt. Obviously one of my pet peeves and it's embarrassing to see our students aren't clever enough to come up with something better than that.

I remember hearing this during the 1980's when I was in grade school and my dad took me to the games we could get general admission tickets for, so it isn't something that just started 5 years ago.  Doesn't mean I condone or endorse it, though.

And you are right, the suits in Twamley Hall need to focus on upgrading our athletic facilities and finding new sources of revenue, because it isn't going to get any cheaper anytime soon.  I do not want us to settle for being a low-major Division I school.

You saw GFC Redskins gear while they had no name. Then, after they adopted the Knights name, the Redskins gear slowly faded away replaced with Knights gear. That is precisely the same situation.

Sicatoka, when it comes to hockey analysis I see you as one of the top posters on this site so I know you're not stupid...

Are you really going to make me have to spell out the difference between the apple and the orange?

Come on, I don't have time for this?#%%

Just a reminder - it was the GF Herald editorial that suggested that UND send a message about not wearing Sioux gear to games - last I heard UND's stance was they would never try and control what fans wear - however there are a few groups that want the name/logo scrubbed from UND (and actually from Grand Forks). .

Other than being labeled as Old School I don't think that Stanford, Miami of Ohio or Marquette have ever tried to create an environment where wearing their former nickname is a stigma.  

Please do, with one caveat: If it's your intent to do so, please spare us the histrionics of "they took our name".

In the end, we chose to drop the name instead of suffering the consequences. (GFC, DL, and Wahpeton did the same: they dropped rather than suffer the continuing distraction.)

We need to move on.

This. The name isn't coming back so it is time to pick a new one.