SiouxSports.com Forum

Indian nicknames in the news

jimdahl

I couldn't be more proud of my school for taking this stand. The Redskins is a despicable name for any team let alone a team representing our nation's capital. One day years from now people will look back with disbelief that these Native American nicknames lasted as long as they did. If you people want to willingly choose to be on the wrong side of history be my guest.

Hey Mariucci, question for you;

Would you be even more proud if "the U" decided to not play the Irish?

Please enlighten us hicks from North Dakota. Teach us how this illogical double standard makes sense.

And then when you're all done with that, you can go on to explain how we are wrong in our believe that using the Sioux name is a good thing. Then you could even show us how we all have it wrong thinking that the value of the name is made evident by the Sioux people themselves voting overwhelmingly in support of its use and further the Sioux people, as a community, suing the NCAA for taking it away from them and us all.

Please please enlighten us so that we may have stars on our bellies like all of you at the U.

Bunch of PUSSEY cats!

Hey Mariucci, question for you;

Would you be even more proud if "the U" decided to not play the Irish?

Please enlighten us hicks from North Dakota. Teach us how this illogical double standard makes sense.

And then when you're all done with that, you can go on to explain how we are wrong in our believe that using the Sioux name is a good thing. Then you could even show us how we all have it wrong thinking that the value of the name is made evident by the Sioux people themselves voting overwhelmingly in support of its use and further the Sioux people, as a community, suing the NCAA for taking it away from them and us all.

Please please enlighten us so that we may have stars on our bellies like all of you at the U.

Bunch of PUSSEY cats!

Irish and Redskins are not even remotely the same and you know it.  There is NO double standard, this is not apples to apples.  Same with the Vikings name or any other nickname you guys come up with to rationalize this issue to make you feel better. 

Honestly though, if you truly think that Irish is the equivalent of Redskins than you are simply not smart enough to be in this discussion and I don't care how popmous that sounds.

The NCAA policy, as announced, declared the target monikers to be those based on: "race, ethnicity, or national origin" * Minnesota's policy is based on the NCAA policy. Actually, I'm pretty sure the NCAA declared Minnesota a "model institution" in the implementation of the (NCAA based) policy. 

Irish is a national origin. Troy (Trojans) and Sparta (Spartans) were city-states (nations). Vandals is an ethnicity. Seminoles and Chippewa and Utes are races (ethnicities?) of people ... like Sioux. 

Yet Minnesota has scheduled some of these teams. Can this inconsistency be explained?

To be fair, I'll take care of one: The Spartans of Michigan State are in the Big Ten.

But the rest should never be on the playing surface with Minnesota (save for the post season).  

*I remember it by RENO. 

I believe The University of Minnesota's policy on scheduling teams with native american nicknames is they will try to avoid scheduling teams with native american nicknames UNLESS the NCAA has approved the name and there is no restrictions on that team (ala, Florida State Seminoles)

The NCAA policy, as announced, declared the target monikers to be those based on: "race, ethnicity, or national origin" * Minnesota's policy is based on the NCAA policy. Actually, I'm pretty sure the NCAA declared Minnesota a "model institution" in the implementation of the (NCAA based) policy. 

Irish is a national origin. Troy (Trojans) and Sparta (Spartans) were city-states (nations). Vandals is an ethnicity. Seminoles and Chippewa and Utes are races (ethnicities?) of people ... like Sioux. 

Yet Minnesota has scheduled some of these teams. Can this inconsistency be explained?

To be fair, I'll take care of one: The Spartans of Michigan State are in the Big Ten.

But the rest should never be on the playing surface with Minnesota (save for the post season).  

*I remember it by RENO. 

In 2013 Minnesota did host the Spartans from San Jose State. :whistling:

Minnesota's policy:

http://www1.umn.edu/usenate/usenate/docs/120503aca_policies.pdf

"If a team has a Native American mascot name and the NCAA has approved it and there are no restrictions on that team, then this policy does not apply." 

In short, Native American mascot names are hostile and abusive...unless the NCAA says they're actually not. 

Wisconsin's policy:

http://www.secfac.wisc.edu/senate/2007/1001/1023a.pdf

I believe The University of Minnesota's policy on scheduling teams with native american nicknames is they will try to avoid scheduling teams with native american nicknames UNLESS the NCAA has approved the name and there is no restrictions on that team (ala, Florida State Seminoles)

Yes, that's correct (see my post above).  However, both the NCAA and schools like Minnesota, Iowa, and Wisconsin quickly REVISED their previous policies on Native American nicknames shortly after the fiasco involving Florida State and the uproar that caused.  Obviously these Big 10 schools needed to act quickly in order to prevent a policy violation should a Florida State football match-up become a possibility in a football bowl game.  Plus there's that ACC/Big 10 Challenge basketball thing again...

If after August 15, 2014 you plan to perpetrate the use of caricatures and slurs of our people in the people’s stadium on public land, we plan to initiate the following actions to protect our peoples and our rights under the laws of our country:

We will explore the potential for a class action lawsuit naming the University of Minnesota as a defendant. You are a willful party with the clear intent to continue the harm to a class of protected people. Plaintiffs may be identified to represent indigenous children, and all indigenous people. Damages may include lost income, psychological damage, medical expenses and punitive assessments.

We will seek all legal and political remedies to protect indigenous people from the brand of hate that the NFL brings to our community, and from your blatant and illegal disregard for existing discrimination and labor law protections in code and statute.

We will seek Public enforcement of remedies linked to your conscious disregard for and damage to the public interest, your disregard for the Civil Rights Act of 1964, and your willingness to disperse profane and grossly offensive language and images known to cause harm to children and members of the public.

We will pursue remedies that may include injunctions, bans and damages at the Federal, State, County, City, and Municipal levels – asking that they immediately enforce all applicable legal protections and remedies that exist in writing that are intended to protect employees, contractors, children and the general public from hate crimes and acts of discrimination, harassment, profanity and abuse.

We will organize students, faculty, Indigenous Peoples from across America, and within Minnesota to oppose your decision to enable denigrating mascots. Among the strategies that some will pursue are boycotts, civil disobedience, protests and specific large scale actions aimed at the University.

Yea, it's a bit wordy..."protests and specific large scale actions against the University..." was a phrase that caught my eye...

In other words, 14 stoned music appreciation and _____ Studies students with nothing better to do, and a few geriatrics with comb-overs and pony tails who dodged the draft in the 70s will scream and chant in front of local TV cameras. 

• Upvote 3

Irish and Redskins are not even remotely the same and you know it. There is NO double standard, this is not apples to apples. Same with the Vikings name or any other nickname you guys come up with to rationalize this issue to make you feel better.

Honestly though, if you truly think that Irish is the equivalent of Redskins than you are simply not smart enough to be in this discussion and I don't care how popmous that sounds.

Not sure how smart I am but unlike you, I am smart enough to know what you said,

One day years from now people will look back with disbelief that THESE NATIVE AMERICAN nicknames lasted as long as they did. If you people want to willingly choose to be on the wrong side of history be my guest. But you have know idea how bad this thread looks to the average visitor.

http://www.valleynewslive.com/story/26294991/coalition-warns-warroad-warriors-change-mascot-or-face-court

A Minnesota-based organization is looking to put a stop to the Warroad Public Schools mascot.
In a letter issued to the school district the National Coalition Against Racism in Sports and Media is putting the district up against the clock to remove the Native American mascot or go to federal court.

Members of the coalition say the objective is not to take away the Warroad School District's tradition of being the Warriors, but they are asking the district to get rid of the Native American mascot that is associated with the name. A have 30 days to announce a change in mascot or they will take it to federal court.

"We have research and evidence from objective academic institutions that this does harm. We have stories from thousands of indigenous people who get teased and ridiculed and feel diminished when people use these mascots in their stadiums and in their schools," said Alan Yesley, a board member said.

Members of this coalition also took part in the retiring of the UND Fighting Sioux logo.  

So Warroad can keep the name but change their Indian head logo. :huh:

Warriors can be from anywhere... In fact... Native American "warriors" were probably the least successful of any ethnic group. Would be wise for Warroad to find a different one.

Warriors can be from anywhere... In fact... Native American "warriors" were probably the least successful of any ethnic group. Would be wise for Warroad to find a different one.

Says who, John Boy? Perhaps we should look into changing the name of your beloved NDSU since we don't really know an actual Bison's opinion on being "honored," do we?

This group of do-gooders had better head down to Red Mesa, AZ like ASAP and let the Navajo students there know how oppressed they are by referring to themselves as "Redskins."

Says who, John Boy? Perhaps we should look into changing the name of your beloved NDSU since we don't really know an actual Bison's opinion on being "honored," do we?

This group of do-gooders had better head down to Red Mesa, AZ like ASAP and let the Navajo students there know how oppressed they are by referring to themselves as "Redskins."

Feel free to change the name Bison. I have zero attachment to the name.

Next they'll come to North Dakota and make Mandan change their name along with Fort Yates.  

http://aistm.org/fr.trailblazers.htm

I just happen to see this list. Kenyon Minnesota jumped out at me on this list, because I had family from there and my dad when he went there a few years back for a family reunion told me the that Kenyon's teams were called the Vikings and now their called the Bulldogs.

Washington Post editorial board to stop using work "Redskins"

People have been speaking out against the name for ages, and this doesn't affect news stories, but there's little doubt remaining that this is the most momentum the anti-Redskins crowd has ever had.

I find it quite reminiscent to how the opposition to the Sioux name percolated through the media.