SiouxSports.com Forum

Indian nicknames in the news

jimdahl

Gee, Mister "Hickman" doesn't have the same KIRO Seattle graphics displaying his name as the rest of the "story". How ever could have "KIRO" missed that one?

So I'm wondering who got a video camera for their birthday and had to try their hand at "video production".

Gee, Mister "Hickman" doesn't have the same KIRO Seattle graphics displaying his name as the rest of the "story". How ever could have "KIRO" missed that one?

So I'm wondering who got a video camera for their birthday and had to try their hand at "video production".

And where did they find cro-magnon man to act the part of a Sioux fan?

How come he's being "interviewed" in broad daylight while everyone else is standing outside in late evening/night-time?

Unable to post a link from my PC but SI.com has a short story about a Twitter pic a bunch of OSU fans took along with their "Send 'em home" sign.  Beneath that was the witty hashtag #trail_of_tears".  The official OSU Twitter account "favorited" the photo, then "unfavorited" it later saying they had "missed" the hashtag (which was clearly visible in big letters.  This whole selective racism that is approved by the NCAA is beyond ridiculous.

Unable to post a link from my PC but SI.com has a short story about a Twitter pic a bunch of OSU fans took along with their "Send 'em home" sign.  Beneath that was the witty hashtag #trail_of_tears".  The official OSU Twitter account "favorited" the photo, then "unfavorited" it later saying they had "missed" the hashtag (which was clearly visible in big letters.  This whole selective racism that is approved by the NCAA is beyond ridiculous.

I'm not going to hold my breath, but if this story gains traction, it might be enough to move the NCAA down the road to Tallahassee.  

I had to do a double take the other day when it dawned on me that the "Cowboys Classic" was actually being played cowboy (OK State) vs. indian (FSU) style. Where is the uproar?  

http://nativeappropriations.com/2013/01/new-billboard-for-florida-states-mba-program.html/fsu-mba

Granted, this article was from a while ago..."war paint"? Really?

It'll be interesting indeed to see if the OSU story gets the attention that certain t-shirts in North Dakota did this past spring...

I was watching the FSU game last night, and they panned to a couple fat white guys in "war paint" in the Seminoles' colors. I love watching the NC$$'s hypocrisy on full display in prime time HD.

• Upvote 2

Just like the Redskins video, pretty sure it would be easy enough to start taking (approved) photos of Sioux tribe members wearing Sioux gear. My family works in Standing Rock and it is worn all the time. I coach hockey with Sioux members who wear the gear proudly, in fact, they have rented the Ralph to take there own kids skating.

• Upvote 2

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

So much for Phil Simms' grand-standing on Washington's nickname...I tuned in for all of 30 seconds and heard him slip up and say the word 'Redskins'...

In his defense, he did say the potential for saying the word was there and that it's bound to happen.

I liked what South Park did with the whole Washington Redskins name.

• 2 weeks later...

wouldnt expect anything different from the folks of Seattle...

They wouldn't like it if we called them Mighty Whities," said one Native American protester.

If there no objections, I'd like to submit "Mighty Whities" as a replacement for "Fighting Sioux".  ;)

• Upvote 1