SiouxSports.com Forum

Indian nicknames in the news

jimdahl

Someone involved in the public forums needs to throw that option out so we hear whether or not it is an option. I'm guessing it's not an option - anti-nicknamers would say it just encourages perpetuating Fighting Sioux. I believe the NCAA has mandated a new name. UND needs it for marketing revenue.

Which will garner more marketing revenue - an unpopular new moniker or sticking with just North Dakota?  Hint:  It ain't the former.

I sincerely hope just staying North Dakota is a serious option

I do think most folks would agree with this

Were not even close to accepting a new name & Kelly should back off & leave it to the next administration

In speaking with my neighbor who is driving all the way from Bis/Man for the invite only Friday night meeting about the new name . (Deer Opener weekend and no hockey game, how convenient), he has been asking opinions and everyone is for NO nickname and continue to let this cool.  That's his stance.   He has also has learned about the revenue the school gets from clothing, etc and that it is minimal in the big picture. He believes that making money from a new one is false from his resources.  Kudos to him for gaining a group opinion and getting some facts.

Side note:  it was "Jersey Friday" at the Standing Rock  school three weeks ago, lots of Sioux jerseys including my mother.  I coach hockey with natives that are major Sioux fans (he rented the Ralph last year for his son and invited our entire team, great people).  Wish these voices could be heard.

I'm coming from Sioux Falls for theFriday invite and I would like to see another 5 years before the any nickname.  Kelley and his minions got what they wanted in getting rid of the nickname.  Now is not the time for the same people to force a nickname on those of us who do not want one. 

The screw up was if the name was going we (those who supported the name as long as it was possible) should've demanded an immediate replacement so as to not allow for the process to be defined for us (to us?). 

Phil Jackson is such a tool. I really can't stand that guy, ever since he coached the Chicago Bulls. I swear the refs tried to help the Bulls win almost every game back when Jordan was playing. Not that they needed help, they were a great team. But that's how unfairly officiated their games were, especially when they played the Knicks. You just had to know the NBA felt it was in their best interest for Chicago to win as long as the poster boy for special treatment was on the roster (#23 traveled on probably half the points he ever scored). But on the rare occasions when a game was called evenly Jackson would throw a hissy fit as if his team was being violated.

Not only against the Knicks.... I'm still waiting for game 7 of the 1998 NBA Finals to be played.

:-)

• Upvote 1

Those of you that are coming to the meeting, first of all thank you for taking the time. And secondly, I hope you get the opportunity to voice your opinions about having no name.

If the comeback is- the NC$$ will punish us, ask the committee for absolute proof of this.

Is it written anywhere in NC$$ by laws that you must have a nickname or suffer consequences???

I'm coming from Sioux Falls for theFriday invite and I would like to see another 5 years before the any nickname.  Kelley and his minions got what they wanted in getting rid of the nickname.  Now is not the time for the same people to force a nickname on those of us who do not want one.

Good luck, Jake.

The screw up was if the name was going we (those who supported the name as long as it was possible) should've demanded an immediate replacement so as to not allow for the process to be defined for us (to us?). 

So now we are here: 

Along with being unique, some attendees also pointed out the new nickname should be inclusive.

“It has to ensure a degree of respect and if there’s any form of discrimination that could come about as a result of it, it should be removed from the table,” task force member and UND student Jesse Fenstermacher said after hearing from a table of athletes.

Source: http://www.grandforksherald.com/content/athletes-faculty-weigh-und-nickname

We see what's now fully in control of this process to define a process. 

And now I turn to these wise words from a mentor ... 

It would have made sense that those who gave up the nickname they loved and who lost the most should have played a major role in selecting a new nickname. They should have seized the initiative and demanded it. 

Instead, most of them were content to follow the lead of a brilliant NDSU grad and legislator from Fargo. They sat in the corner and pouted with no nickname, wrongly  believing that they were somehow "getting even." 

All of which made it easier for (Kelley) to freeze the Fighting Sioux nickname proponents out of the selection process for a new nickname. 

"You don't want a nickname? Fine. We'll pick one for you. You're welcome."

So, yeah, the diversity and tolerance crowd with which (Kelley) identifies is going to be in charge. I warned of this years ago ... 

Control what's yours to control. If you don't when you should it's nearly impossible to get back. 

Well, IIRC there are some NCAA schools already named after their colors...

No, No, No, No!!! :angry:

I don't care what other schools do.  I care what MY school does.  And "Green and White" is not an option.....EVER!  PERIOD! :angry:

I told people back in 2012 when Wayne Nelson and company started using "Green and White" as a substitute for "Fighting Sioux" that this would happen.  It has gotten stuck in some people's heads because of the Heraldo and other media outlets.

Having said all that, this won't happen.  UND isn't going to have this long, drawn out process and then pick something so bland, generic and non-descriptive as "Green and White".  They could do that without a "process" and they clearly have decided not to take that course.

• Upvote 1

North Texas, Harvard, Syracuse. We don't have any name now and that doesn't seem to keep people from rallying around the hockey team...

This isn't about attendance at hockey, football or anything else.  This is about having an identity and a marketable name and logo.  The milktoast GW crap they are trying to sell now isn't going to catch on ever.

No, No, No, No!!! :angry:

I don't care what other schools do.  I care what MY school does.  And "Green and White" is not an option.....EVER!  PERIOD! :angry:

I told people back in 2012 when Wayne Nelson and company started using "Green and White" as a substitute for "Fighting Sioux" that this would happen.  It has gotten stuck in some people's heads because of the Heraldo and other media outlets.

Agreed.

Having said all that, this won't happen.  UND isn't going to have this long, drawn out process and then pick something so bland, generic and non-descriptive as "Green and White".  They could do that without a "process" and they clearly have decided not to take that course.

I hope you're right, but I wouldn't expect something good just because it's chosen after a long, drawn out process.  Remember who the final decision rests with.

• Upvote 1

So now we are here: 

Source: http://www.grandforksherald.com/content/athletes-faculty-weigh-und-nickname

We see what's now fully in control of this process to define a process. 

And now I turn to these wise words from a mentor ... 

Control what's yours to control. If you don't when you should it's nearly impossible to get back. 

It was never ours to control once the PC zealots received the backing of the NCAA - from that point onward there was no initiative to seize and no demand would have been acknowledged. - the ivory tower bigots were and are in full control.  Those that want a new nickname will soon wax nostalgic about the days of no nickname (as well as having the teams referred to as "green and white" - which has never been favorite of mine, to put it extraordinarily mildly).

• Upvote 1

I hope you're right, but I wouldn't expect something good just because it's chosen after a long, drawn out process.  Remember who the final decision rests with.

I just don't see it happening.  There are too many important groups (alumni, former athletes, current athletes) that will be up in arms if they don't at least pick something with some substance.  Otherwise, Kelley will find himself retired sooner than he wanted.

This isn't about attendance at hockey, football or anything else.  This is about having an identity and a marketable name and logo.  The milktoast GW crap they are trying to sell now isn't going to catch on ever.

OK boss...but someone else other than me a little ways up the thread says we need something to rally around. Our current absence of a name is not hurting attendance at the REA for men's hockey. I trust I will be corrected if filling up the arena does not equal rallying around the team.

OK boss...but someone else other than me a little ways up the thread says we need something to rally around. Our current absence of a name is not hurting attendance at the REA for men's hockey. I trust I will be corrected if filling up the arena does not equal rallying around the team.

Give me an example a College or University that supports athletics that does not have a nickname.   There are none.  Did the other schools that had to change their name because of the NCAA rulke just go with no name?  NO.  Because that's DUMB!! 

Just remember how it worked for District 5.  They sucked..  Then they became the Ducks and they were awesome!!!  :)

• Upvote 1

Give me an example a College or University that supports athletics that does not have a nickname.  

I don't know of any....if you go back and read through the thread my primary point is that if choosing one is indeed mandatory, then "Green and White" is a choice that would not necessitate a change in identity. My secondary point is that if fans are "rallying" around the no name hockey team, then they will rally around a team named after its colors. I happen to think that going without a name would be a viable option if permitted by the NCAA and make UND unique in contrast to your opinion that it is "DUMB". We will have to just disagree and leave it at that because getting into a pissing contest over whether going nameless is "DUMB" would be...err...DUMB.