SiouxSports.com Forum

Indian nicknames in the news

jimdahl

Why not just change the name to the Natives, Tribe, Indians, Braves and keep the logo the same. Its a compromise and maybe this sh*t show will go away. Just like in Cleveland, the Indians are slowly getting away from Chief Wahoo (glad I have lots of Wahoo hats), by going with a big C. Nothing is being said about changing the nickname but just changing the logo or even using it less makes that sh*t show they would have in Cleveland go away.

The Redskins can (and almost certainly will) still aggressively protect their trademark through state and common law trademark protection if their federally registered mark is permanently cancelled. Some people may think it's open season, but they will likely quickly find out that this is not the case. Also, the federally registered trademarks remain enforceable during the Redsins' appeal, which it appears will come as a surprise to some.

John

John,

Myself, I'm not a fan of the Redskins name. But, I'm not sure this is the way to get rid of it.

I find the approach interesting. If I remember, the NCAA wanted UND to keep the copyright and trademark to the Sioux logo/name so there wouldn't be a proliferation of Fighting Sioux products after the name was put to rest. As mentioned by another poster earlier, it looks like if the administration is successful, there would be a whole bunch of Redskins products being sold without a dime going to the team. So, if this would work, the Redskin name could be retired, but the product could be all over the place. To me, that would only be a bit of a win for the administration.

Nope, this is a common misconception. Even if they lose the federal registered trademark, the Redsinks can still sue people for common law trademark infringement, or can sue under state law, and almost certainly will. It's more convenient to have your trademark federally registered, but it's certainly not necessary for trademark enforcement.

It's also far from clear that the "Redskins" name was derogatory or offensive when first registered in the 1960s, and I think there's a decent chance that the team is able to keep some of the earliest-registered marks (including the name itself) on appeal. They can then seek trademark protection for current logos detached from the name, and have a robust federally registered trademark portfolio once again.

It's interesting news, and consistent with what the USPTO has found in other trademark examinations (e.g. denying "Slants" for an asian band or "Dykes on Bikes", although the dykes were later granted protection after showing that applicants were representative of the community and did not find the term disparaging). But, I think it will matter little to the Redskins organization in the long run.

John

Part of the problem with the federal law argument is that the Lanham Act generally provides protection only to tradmarks that are registered or in the application process for registration. It's been a number of years since i've looked at the Act, but that's my basic recollection, and that discrete protection creates the incentive to register trademarks at the federal level. So the NFL and Snyder may be left to fighting it out in a variety of state courts where state laws may also prohibit protections for "disparaging" marks. I agree the "fat lady" hasn't sung, but if the DC trial and appellate courts follow the USPTO lead, it creates a bit of challenge for Goodall et al. from a litigation perspective as well as a "reputation" perspective.

This is too good not to pass along. Unfortunately, it's also true--especially the last line!

This guy is hilarious... Here is an email sent to Clarence Page of the Chicago Tribune after an article he published entitled: "It's time to change the name of the Washington Redskins."

Dear Mr. Page,

I always love your articles and I generally agree with them. I would suggest, as in an email I received, they change the name to the "Foreskins" to better represent their community, paying tribute to the dick heads in Congress.

I agree with our Native American population. I am highly insulted by the racially charged name of the Washington Redskins. One might argue that to name a professional football team after Native Americans would exalt them as fine warriors, but nay, nay. We must be careful not to offend, and in the spirit of political correctness and courtesy, we must move forward.

Let's ditch the Kansas City Chiefs, the Atlanta Braves and the Cleveland Indians. If your shorts are in a wad because of the reference the name Redskins makes to skin color, then we need to get rid of the Cleveland Browns.

The Carolina Panthers obviously were named to keep the memory of militant Blacks from the 60's alive. Gone. It's offensive to us white folk.

The New York Yankees offend the Southern population. Do you see a team named for the Confederacy? No! There is no room for any reference to that tragic war that cost this country so many young men's lives.

I am also offended by the blatant references to the Catholic religion among our sports team names. Totally inappropriate to have the New Orleans Saints, the Los Angeles Angels or the San Diego Padres.

Then there are the team names that glorify criminals who raped and pillaged. We are talking about the horrible Oakland Raiders, the Minnesota Vikings, the Tampa Bay Buccaneers and the Pittsburgh Pirates!

Now, let us address those teams that clearly send the wrong message to our children. The San Diego Chargers promote irresponsible fighting or even spending habits. Wrong message to our children.

The New York Giants and the San Francisco Giants promote obesity, a growing childhood epidemic. Wrong message to our children.

The Cincinnati Reds promote downers/barbiturates. Wrong message to our children.

The Milwaukee Brewers. Well that goes without saying. Wrong message to our children.

So, there you go. We need to support any legislation that comes out to rectify this travesty, because the government will likely become involved with this issue, as they should. Just the kind of thing the do-nothing Congress loves.

As a diehard Oregon State fan, my wife and I, with all of this in mind, suggest it might also make some sense to change the name of the Oregon State women's athletic teams to something other than "the Beavers."

This just proves that stupid acts happen regardless if teams have Native American nicknames or not.

I'm quite certain Khloe couldn't identify North Dakota on a map if you spotted her South Dakota and told her that the state she was looking for was "up" from that point. You are 100% correct, Goon.

• Upvote 1

Khloe thinks (<-- wait, oxymoron alert there, :D ) that North Dakota is a mythical place like Narnia or "a real job".

But, yes, Dr. Kelley should immediately boot Khloe and anyone in the pictures with her from the University of North Dakota.

PS - As a German-American, I'm still pissed about the University of Idaho's moniker.

• Upvote 1

Very interesting article. Some very interesting comments and viewpoints. It sounds like the Blackhawks are going about this the right way. I wish we had that type of leadership years ago...

Dialogue is key with Blackhawks logo

This:

But Joe Podlasek, a longtime advocate for Native Americans, has a relationship with the team. He used to push for a logo change. Now, he's accepted it.

"My goal is not to remove all Native images," he wrote in an email. "But for those that are respectful, to put an educational process behind them and share opportunities. Without that piece, nothing will change in the long run and history will repeat itself in generations to come."

When I wrote this last week, I didn't think it would happen immediately.

I predict that there’s going to be great pressure on teams that use Native American nicknames and imagery very soon. I see it coming. It’s just a matter of time before the pressure is on the Blackhawks, Seminoles, Chippewa’s and Utes to change their names and logos. It’s coming. Mark it down.

• 2 weeks later...

Saw this story in the Grand Forks Heraldo this weekend on Billy Mills and his opposition to the Washington Redskins nickname and logo.

http://gazette.com/ramsey-gold-medalist-billy-mills-opposes-racist-redskins-moniker/article/1522406

He’s a member of the Lakota Nation. He’s traveled across the vast globe, making stops in 108 nations. He’s a proud Marine who voted for Ronald Reagan. “A big fan,” he said. He talked often during an hour-long conversation about “our beautiful country.”

Meet Billy Mills, who vehemently opposes the Redskins moniker.

Whether you agree or disagree with Mills, I hope nobody on this forum has the nerve to label him a "bedwetter" or any number of other adjectives I have seen nickname opponents get slapped with on this forum. I was against changing the Fighting Sioux name and logo, but I sometimes think our fan base was its own worst enemy during that whole fight with the NCAA.

Saw this story in the Grand Forks Heraldo this weekend on Billy Mills and his opposition to the Washington Redskins nickname and logo.

http://gazette.com/r...article/1522406

Whether you agree or disagree with Mills, I hope nobody on this forum has the nerve to label him a "bedwetter" or any number of other adjectives I have seen nickname opponents get slapped with on this forum. I was against changing the Fighting Sioux name and logo, but I sometimes think our fan base was its own worst enemy during that whole fight with the NCAA.

Mills was a hell of an athlete and a role model. I remember watching him when I was a kid.

• Upvote 1

David Ramsey is a good writer, but he's totally against the Fighting Sioux nickname and all sports teams that use Native American Nicknames. I have chatted with him on line as well about the issue.

Mills was a hell of an athlete and a role model. I remember watching him when I was a kid.

One of the mistakes we make as humans is when we value our idols as legislators of social policy. Electing actors as presidents is not the path to a great society...

Social policy should be influenced and mandated by both democratic vote and by influence and execution from those who have qualifications as great thinkers.

Neither has occurred or been evident with respect to the elimination of the Sioux name.

Of course the media presents the opposite and we eat it up...

http://www.lakotacountrytimes.com/news/2014-07-10/Sports/SD_Divas_Fighting_Sioux_lose_in_girls_Gold_Divisio.html

PHOENIX – After racing through pool play 3-0, the SD Divas lost to Lapwai 48-43 in the quarterfinals of the Gold Division. Fighting Sioux, also went 3-0 in pool play before losing 57-42 to the Shock in the Gold quarterfinals.

How many protesters were at this event?

• Upvote 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Leave it to our good friends at the University of Marxism-Leninism, er, Minnesota, to lead the charge to prevent the NFL Redskins from wearing their uniforms at TCF Bank Stadium this season. Of course, they'd gladly play the Florida State Seminoles without so much as a whimper of disgust over that particular nickname.

• Upvote 1