SiouxSports.com Forum

Indian nicknames in the news

jimdahl

And the idea that the U should forfeit a basketball game in the Big Ten/ACC challenge is so beyond ridiculous I don't even know what to say. The U has ZERO control over who we play in that contest every year and forfeiting an important game that could be the difference in making the NCAA tourney would be a huge disservice to the U, the players, the fans, and the confrence itself. Forfeiting that game is not an option and only fans of small time athletic programs would think different.

So let me get this straight: Your priorities rank as (1) making the NCAAs, clearly for the money, then (2) worrying about disservice to "the U", then (3) the players, fans, and conference, and finally (4) your principles regarding this issue.

I dare say this because what "the U" does, who they step onto the surface with, is fully and only in the control of "the U".

Putting all this another way: Put your money where your mouth is.

Disclaimer: Mariucci, understand I'm one of the guys who accepts that UND's moniker needed to be retired. What I don't like is the hypocrisy of "we can't forfeit because it'll cost us money". Yeah, your money; our 80 years of history, turmoil to our University and fan base, and State, plus the fiscal impacts of a change. Tell me again your woes about one game. :silly:

So Minnesota picks and chooses when it's offended by the exploitation of NA nicknames/monikers/white guys riding on horses with full head dress and spiking spears into the turf?

Also, quit calling yourself "The U". There is only one and it sure as hell isn't in Minnesota.

No we don't pick and chosse when we're offended. We DO NOT schedule teams with those nicknames. We play them when we do not have a choice.

Stop calling us the U? In the state of Minnesota it has been referred to as the U since the beginning. We have one major university in the state which is how it became known as the U. If you don' like it too bad.

We play them when we do not have a choice.

There's always a choice:

• don't go on the playing surface;
  • get the conference to agree to not align you with "those" teams in cross-overs

There's always a choice.

"The U" chooses money over the tough choice.

And you know what's the most fun of this?

Having dropped "that" moniker, I can now be as indignant and holier-than-thou as all the rubes and jamokes were toward UND when it still carried it.

• Upvote 3

Bunch of bs. Try living in the real world.

The real world walks the talk, practices what it preaches. "The U" isn't there.

I know the real world: UND is living in it right now because of policies like this. How about "the U" joining us by giving up something instead of just giving out empty policies and hollow platitudes.

• Upvote 3

Simple. The University of Minnesota should just turn down the Vikings and tell them they will have to play somewhere else.....of course this would also mean turning down the 300k per game they are getting and the stadium improvements that have been done. I don't disagree that the Redskin name should be gone but the the posturing by the University is ridiculous at best.

Sadly it isn't the first time. If they had any convictions they could have refused to play Florida State in the ACC/Big 10 challenge....the conferences have different numbers of schools so not every school participates every season and if the Minnesota athletic department was so adamant they could have refused to play the Seminoles.

They also had no problem selling Sioux merchandise at Mariucci arena while puffing out their chest about how against the name and logo they are and if not for the WCHA and conference scheduling they wouldn't schedule or allow their teams to compete against UND while right across the street UND's Fighting Sioux swim teams were competing the same weekend.(pretty sure they were not in the Big 10).

They also had Central Michigan on their basketball schedule a few years back when their policy was to not play schools with Native American nicknames unless scheduled by conference. I have a hilarious email conversation with Maturi on that one.

I couldn't be more proud of my school for taking this stand.

The U has ZERO control over who we play in that contest every year and forfeiting an important game that could be the difference in making the NCAA tourney would be a huge disservice to the U, the players, the fans, and the confrence itself.

I couldn't be prouder of "my" school for taking this stand. Of course, if that stand means we might not make a basketball tournament, I reserve the right to change my stance.

Well said.

They also had Central Michigan on their basketball schedule a few years back when their policy was to not play schools with Native American nicknames unless scheduled by conference. I have a hilarious email conversation with Maturi on that one.

Feel free to share ;)

And the idea that the U should forfeit a basketball game in the Big Ten/ACC challenge is so beyond ridiculous I don't even know what to say. The U has ZERO control over who we play in that contest every year and forfeiting an important game that could be the difference in making the NCAA tourney would be a huge disservice to the U, the players, the fans, and the confrence itself. Forfeiting that game is not an option and only fans of small time athletic programs would think different.

In other words, if there's money on the table it's okay to shelve your deeply-held principles. Mark Emmert, is that you?

I couldn't be prouder of "my" school for taking this stand. Of course, if that stand means we might not make a basketball tournament, I reserve the right to change my stance.

Well said.

The U hasn't changed their stance. The stance is we won't schedule any of those schools. Did we schedule the game with FSU? Nope. Nice try though.

If "the U" had any true volition about this issue they would ask the Big Ten to not put them in the position; and, if the Big Ten wouldn't, "the U" would not step on the playing surface. Until then, talk is cheap.

"The U" is an educational institution. Practicing what it preaches, not coming to the playing surface, would teach everyone watching.

Instead, the lesson is the color of money.

Did we schedule the game with FSU?

De facto, yes, you did.

You handed your scheduling power over to the Big Ten; thus, you scheduled it as the power, the choice, is yours.

Saying "the Big Ten did it" is disingenuous as the ultimate, final power and decision is still held by "the U".

De facto, yes, you did.

You handed your scheduling power over to the Big Ten; thus, you scheduled it as the power, the choice, is yours.

Saying "the Big Ten did it" is disingenuous as the ultimate, final power and decision is still held by "the U".

Nice rationalization there. You're simply dead wrong and clearly don't understand.

De facto, yes, you did.

I actually agree with Mariucci about the Redskin nickname. However, if you have any integrity, then cancel the deal with the Vikings if they won't relent. Same thing with Florida State. Show some integrity or shut up about it.

Money is obviously more important to the "U" than integrity. Obviously.

The U hasn't changed their stance. The stance is we won't schedule any of those schools. Did we schedule the game with FSU? Nope. Nice try though.

Big 10 Scheduling Department: "Minnesota, you're hosting Florida State in this year's Big 10/ACC Challenge."

Minnesota: "Ummmm we're opposed to racist nicknames."

Big 10 Scheduling Department: "No problem, we'll send Duke to Minneapolis instead."

Problem solved.

Big 10 Scheduling Department: "Minnesota, you're hosting Florida State in this year's Big 10/ACC Challenge."

Big 10 Scheduling Department: "No problem, we'll send Duke to Minneapolis instead.You'll make over $200,000 and maybe get a shot to the big dance. And you get your picture taken with that white kid in his Seminole costume"

Minnesota: Oh, hell yeah! Show me the money!

FTFY ;)

Big 10 Scheduling Department: "No problem, we'll send Duke to Minneapolis instead."

Problem solved.

You're pretty naive if you think it's that simple.

You're pretty naive if you think it's that simple.

Nope, we're realists around here. Money trumps principles all the time. See, e.g,, The NC$$.

We did it when we gave up the Sioux moniker to help ensure a move to D1 and avoid sanctions that would have definitely impacted the school and its athletic programs.

Whoa now, wait a minute...

The U of Minn doesn't want to allow the Vikings (named for a subculture of people from Scandinavia) to play the Redskins (a subculture of people in North America) on their field?

But that's OK, cause the Vikings are white people, and the name honors them, while the Redskins (and Sioux) name objectifies that culture.

With the next breath, it's OK to play the Hawkeyes, Illini, Seminoles, et al because of their conference affiliations.

Things are not adding up here.

Disclaimer: I understand the name Redskins is offensive, but Washington is the home of non-PC names: the football Redskins, the basketball Bullets (now retired) and the most offensive of all, the baseball Senators (now the Minnesota Twins). Just had to throw that in.

• Upvote 1

I think the whole point being made here is that the University needs to speak up loud and clear on major issues like professional sports nicknames. If the NFL team in Washington changed its name by 4pm today, U of small m faculty, its students, and Representative McCollum herself could move onto less trivial issues tomorrow - like the ISIS atrocities going on in Iraq/Syria.

De facto, yes, you did.

Nice rationalization there. You're simply dead wrong and clearly don't understand.

Uh, no. Not one rationalization. No emotion; just facts, like:

Fact: You handed your scheduling power over to the Big Ten but did not ensure they followed your scheduling policies.

Fact: "The U" has the ultimate, final decision of where and when to step onto the playing surface.

Uh, no. Not one rationalization. No emotion; just facts, like:

Fact: You handed your scheduling power over to the Big Ten but did not ensure they followed your scheduling policies.

Fact: "The U" has the ultimate, final decision of where and when to step onto the playing surface.

Both "facts" of yours are completely untrue. It's not nearly that simple, not nearly.

So "the U" does not have the ultimate, final decision of when and when to step onto the playing surface? Really? Really?

Put the phrase "Minnesota Gophers cancels game" into Google:

https://www.google.com/#q=Minnesota+Gophers+cancels+game&start=10

I see cancelations of football contracts, cancelations due to weather.

I see "the U" exercising their ultimate, final decision of when and where, under what conditions, to step onto the playing surface.