SiouxSports.com Forum

Eight Bison football players charged

darell1976

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2012/09/05/8-ndsu-players-charged-wi_0_n_1857331.html?utm_hp_ref=college

NDSU athletic director Gene Taylor said the school takes all charges seriously, but he did not believe the latest case warranted immediate discipline.

"In terms of other issues across the country that student-athletes get in trouble for, this doesn't rank to the level where I think they need to be suspended for a certain amount of time," he said.

Supporters of the conservation initiative paid a consulting firm $145,000 to collect the petition signatures it needed to qualify for the ballot. The measure's chairman, Stephen Adair, a regional director for Ducks Unlimited in Bismarck, said about $500,000 in television advertising time had already been booked for the fall campaign.

Adair said he felt "sick to my stomach" when he learned of the alleged fraud over the weekend. Stenehjem said the sponsoring committees of the conservation and marijuana initiatives were not themselves suspected of fraud.

The attorney general said the misdemeanor charges filed against all 11 carry a maximum penalty of a year in jail and a $2,000 fine.

So Gene doesn't think a year in jail and a $2,000 fine are a big deal?

I think that's the part that doesn't sit well. At least a DUI is an impaired decision. How long would it take to forge hundreds (thousands?) of fake names? Too long for it to be innocent.

I've made innocent mistakes in my life. Not once did the state Attorney General call a press conference.

I am going to assume you, or daddy, or a loved one has a DUI or two. Driving drunk puts lives in danger, least importantly the driver, most importantly anyone on the road.

DUI is infinitely worse than what these guys did. These guys went through a phonebook and put names down. No physical harm.

I am going to assume you, or daddy, or a loved one has a DUI or two. Driving drunk puts lives in danger, least importantly the driver, most importantly anyone on the road.

DUI is infinitely worse than what these guys did. These guys went through a phonebook and put names down. No physical harm.

Did you see that thing just fly right over your head?? You missed his point. It wasn't a simple mistake.... it was deliberate.

These guys went through a phonebook and put names down. No physical harm.

How come the words "identity theft" haven't come up, or doesn't that apply.

DUI is infinitely worse than what these guys did.

I was broadsided by a drunk driver about 30 years ago. If you want to make DUI a felony I'm all for it because what they did is an A misdemeanor (and DUI is worse than that by your statement).

I think that's the part that doesn't sit well. At least a DUI is an impaired decision. How long would it take to forge hundreds (thousands?) of fake names? Too long for it to be innocent.

I've made innocent mistakes in my life. Not once did the state Attorney General call a press conference.

Maybe one or two people being involved would be a "mistake". When you have a whole cabal doing the same thing it comes close to a "conspiracy" charge since they had to have concocted the scheme together.

There is not a problem down in Fargo. Some players on the football team tried pulling a fast one and getting paid for being lazy. It isn't like they were trying to "fraud" anyone except for the company that hired them.

And if I were them, I would be concerned about that aspect of it too and hope that someone who has put some serious money into these measures doesn't come looking for any restitution.

Maybe one or two people being involved would be a "mistake". When you have a whole cabal doing the same thing it comes close to a "conspiracy" charge since they had to have concocted the scheme together.

And at Bisonville they think UND would be the head of the conspiracy.

Has anybody heard anything in regards to who hired a bunch of football players to fulfill this task, and what these players were paid, and was their pay tied to the number of signatures they received? A lot of room there to be paying National Champion football players not based on their work but because they are "football players" Just curious if there were any other allegations out there or that are being investigated.

It was an innocent mistake that they will be punished for.

Signing and having an affadavit notarized as true when you know it is false is not an innocent mistake. It is fraud, plain and simple.

Under federal regulations, if found guilty they will be forever barred from holding a job in the financial arena (i.e., banking, investments, mortgages, loans, etc)

This just showed up in my IM. They didn't want to post it themselves. I'll do it for them because their posits seem reasonable (as do their reasons for not posting themselves).

The suggestion that a class A misdemeanor for election fraud is insignificant compared to a class A misdemeanor for exposing your Jemison in public is silly. Crimes are classified for a reason. Election fraud undermines the fundamental guarantee of having free and fair elections in our state and compromises the integrity of our electoral system.

To assume that election fraud is a victimless crime is wrong. Many people invested a significant amount of time, effort, and money into the petition drives only to have some lazy and stupid people ruin their efforts. If the sponsors of the measures decide to try again, the measures disqualified from the ballot will not be able to be brought before the voters until 2014. Even then, if they do proceed, the opponents of the measures will have an easy time campaigning against the measures by bringing up the fact that this fraud occurred.

The company that hired the petition gathers has suffered damage to its reputation and will likely be subject to a claim by the petition sponsors who will be seeking to get their money back. In turn, that company will be looking to make someone else the "fall guy".

There are likely going to be questions as to who hired the football players and whether there are NCAA rules violations involved. It's unlikely an Iowa company contracted directly with the football players. More likely, someone in Fargo brought the football players an easy opportunity to make money. Were they hired because of their athletic celebrity? Did they do the job they were paid to do (or did it turn out to be a "no show" job)? Those are questions affecting NCAA eligibility status.

Whose idea was it to sign the fictitious names? With that many invalid names and the number of people involved, there likely was some sort of plan (conspiracy). No reputable company in the business of petition gathering on a regional or national basis takes the risk of having someone ruin its reputation -- to assume that the petition gathers were not informed as to the risks of committing fraud is a pretty broad and naĂŻve assumption.

You're joking right?

Of course they knew. They were told when the were given the job. I guarantee it. There is no way they were not told that the signatures had to be verified and it was a crime to falsify any signature.

They are big boys. They are criminals, proven by their actions. They will be punished accordingly. Except by Coach Bohl. Who runs a rogue program. His inaction in this matter proves it.

it very well could be the case and i wouldnt be surprised if they didnt know. they could have been just told to get signatures and turn it in

Sioux football insider tweeted that UND players (Garman and Ivery) missed the Mines game due to....skipping a class. The coaches do random class checks and they werent there. Talk about two different philosophies in Fargo and Grand Forks! Way to go Muss and staff!

the situations are different ;)

Ojuri might take offense to moron...he clearly isn't even that bright!

Be nice.

Go to http://publicsearch....ov/default.aspx ; select Cass County; click the "Criminal\Traffic" link; Last name: Ojuri; First name: Samuel; Click Search at the bottom of the page. He must be a nice young man. Fargo Police seem to like to chat with him. But you'd hope he'd get those windows fixed by now (after two conversations).

• Upvote 1

the fine senator from minnesota doesnt when she declined to prosecute daddy

Hopefully UND has taken note of this situation and is constantly talking to their kids about ethics. With virtually every athlete on twitter, I would hope they are constantly monitoring for statements that can be considered for NCAA sanction. I also hope UND has learned the lesson from NDSU on this and the Lynn Dorn reprimand, and get out ahead on issues like this instead of letting them come to light from the media. I think honesty and transparency up front go a long way in keeping a good reputation in the public's eye. If you believe in letting the judicial system play itself out first, then be consistent in that philosophy. That would go a long way in mitigating any damage when college kids make errors in judgement and discretion.

Good lord they are college kids. Have you ever skipped a class and then copied someones notes or had someone take your PRS clicker to a class so you still get participation points for that day?

This is what I have a problem with.... The these are college kids argument is flawed - these are adults who are over 18 - once you're over 18 you're expected the follow the same rules the rest of us. We don't have one set of rules for College student and another set of rules for the rest of society. These guys screwed up and this isn't a minor things we have people all over the USA being prosecuted for elections fraud... This is not a minor petty offense - this is serious business.

Be nice.

Go to http://publicsearch....ov/default.aspx ; select Cass County; click the "Criminal\Traffic" link; Last name: Ojuri; First name: Samuel; Click Search at the bottom of the page. He must be a nice young man. Fargo Police seem to like to chat with him. But you'd hope he'd get those windows fixed by now (after two conversations).

I am not so sure I would let that guy drive my automobile. Yikes...

And don't even get anyone started on being above the team or university? Evere hear of Mr. Ralph Engelstad holding a University hostage? Sounds like he was above the university to me.

And Johnny boy plays the Bisonville trump card - but but but Hockey and Ralph - classic.

Or how Mr. Engelstad liked to have birthday parties for Hitler. For those who say he was cleared of befriending the neo-Nazis that was only in relation to the skinhead neo-Nazis that were counter protesting the Jewish Defense league who were picketing in front of the Imperial Pit.

links please