SiouxSports.com Forum

Eight Bison football players charged

darell1976

Sounds like some people are trying to make it into a huge deal rather than looking at what it really is. It is some college kids being lazy. I'm not saying they shouldn't be punished, but I don't think anyone(other than IMO Ojuri) should be given the boot.

So blame it on the collegiate/academic culture festering out there today where cheating (lazy, easy way out) and plagarism (or say signing someone else's name and address) is acceptable?

Call the Legislature. Tell them their silly "valid petition" and "signed affidavit" laws are out of date. ;)

Mohler left the team because he got beat out. I'd let it play out too because honestly I don't think this is a very big deal. They were lazy and did a bad job at work. Comparing it to the Jemison thing is ridiculous considering what he did vs. what they did. Pulling your junk out in public vs. Signing people's names on some petition, two totally different things.

Sounds like some people are trying to make it into a huge deal rather than looking at what it really is. It is some college kids being lazy. I'm not saying they shouldn't be punished, but I don't think anyone(other than IMO Ojuri) should be given the boot.

The point you seem to be glossing over is that they were charged with a Class A misdemeanor and Bohl now wants to pick and choose which misdemeanors are punishable.

Maybe I didn't make my point clear. Why did those two not get a chance to go to trial and see if they really were guilty? He suspended Mohler and kicked Haynes off but now he does neither for these guys.

That's a good question that I don't have the answer to. Maybe the severity of the charges plays a role in Coach Bohl's hesitation to take action vs. those other situations. If I remember correctly Jose had 2 or 3 suspensions prior to the one that finally got him the boot.

But, fraudulently signing names is entirely worse if you ask me. It shows real character cracks, if a legal adult can't determine that fraudulently signing someones name on a petition is wrong. It shows that you have character issues, and really can you be trusted? What's next for that person, signing someones name or forging a check. If you ask me it's a far more slippery slope. But character reflects leadership and we are quickly learning that Coach Bohl & A.D. Gene Taylor's character is not much better than that of these young men.

Fraud isn't a crime at NDSU, it's something their top administrators take pride in. Wouldn't be surprised to see these 8 players invited over to Bresciani's mansion to discuss future strategy. ;):lol:

But in all seriousness, it is concerning that NDSU administrators don't see fraud as a big deal.

Honest question for those of you who feel you can give an objective response. If this was going on at UND would you be as vigorous about your call to action for Coach Mussman?

It was stated earlier in this thread that UND suspended multiple players last week for missing a class check. Pretty sure they would suspend these guys for getting charged with a Class A misdemeanor.

The point you seem to be glossing over is that they were charged with a Class A misdemeanor and Bohl now wants to pick and choose which misdemeanors are punishable.

From my perspective as an NDSU fan it boils down to this.

Things aren't black and white. Up until this point in time, I feel Bohl has been very fair and swift with his ability to punish players regardless of how important they are to the team(If anyone has an example to the contrary I would like to hear it). Because of his track record in dealing with disciplinary issues, in my eyes he has earned my trust in deciding whether or not these are punishable at this point in time. If this becomes a pattern of in the future I reserve the right to change my opinion on whether he is able to dish out penalties without taking into account the players' importance to the team.

It was stated earlier in this thread that UND suspended multiple players last week for missing a class check. Pretty sure they would suspend these guys for getting charged with a Class A misdemeanor.

I know for a fact that Coach Bohl has also suspended players for missing classes. That has no bearing whatsoever in this matter.

I don't see anything wrong with that. Considering that while laws may be categorized together, that doesn't mean they are the same thing. Like I pointed out yesterday, someone posted that internet poker and rape are the same class of felony in Washington. Should an internet poker player face the same consequences as a rapist?

Honest question for those of you who feel you can

give an objective response. If this was going on at UND would you be as vigorous about your call to action for Coach Mussman?

Of course they would call for all of those responsible to be held accountable.

Bohl runs a "rogue program?" Haha ok.

Mohler left the team because he got beat out. I'd let it play out too because honestly I don't think this is a very big deal. They were lazy and did a bad job at work. Comparing it to the Jemison thing is ridiculous considering what he did vs. what they did. Pulling your junk out in public vs. Signing people's names on some petition, two totally different things.

This is a much bigger deal than you and many Bvillers seem to think. They forged signatures. They signed a legal document that they knew was false. They committed fraud. They interfered with an election. In many ways, this is a much bigger deal than exposing yourself in public. Yes, they were lazy and stupid. But that isn't an excuse for committing a crime. This was a crime. And there seems to be pretty good evidence that they knowingly and willingly committed that crime. This is something that could very well follow them for years. But you don't think it is important.
  • Upvote 1

Honest question for those of you who feel you can give an objective response. If this was going on at UND would you be as vigorous about your call to action for Coach Mussman?

I think a 1-game suspension for first time offenders is adequate. Those with multiple issues (Ojuri) should be out for 2-3 games minimum IMO. Mussman just sat 2 players for skipping class.... apparently the cultures are different.

Just my opinion but if someone put my signiture on something without my authorization I would be pretty pissed off and wouldn't think it is not that big of a deal.

I think a 1-game suspension for first time offenders is adequate. Those with multiple issues (Ojuri) should be out for 2-3 games minimum IMO. Mussman just sat 2 starters for skipping class.... apparently the cultures are different.

I agree with your first part, but different cultures? Please. As I said in a previous post, Coach Bohl has also suspended players for missing class. Each situation is different and requires looking at separately.

But it is not going on at UND.

Remember: The next problem is always just a lawn mower toss away. ???

What is interesting is Bohl not following the precedent he set with Jemison (also an A misdemeanor). You can say there was more to the Jemison situation that triggered the dismissal, but that just opens the questions of what do or don't we know about these other eight and is Bohl dealing with them comparably.

Someone sent me some light reading, some homework, if you will.

Interesting document: http://fs.ncaa.org/D...e=REFERENCES_R7

Section 2.d is quite a compelling read:

That begs two questions:

- Were those lads hired because they were NDSU FB players, namely, recognizable figures due to athletic ability?

- Did they perform the work they were paid for (meaning collect signatures)?

I don't know the answers because the NCAA would be the ones who would have the answers and I can't figure those NCAA folks out.

Rather interesting. I assume that they must have collected "some" legitimate signatures. Did they wear NDSU jersies when they were out gathering signatures?

If they didn't collect any legitimate signatures, I would say that they didn't perform work for which they were paid.

I am sure the group that hired them cannot be at all pleased with what has transpired in the past couple of weeks.

Bohl is letting the courts handle it, Taylor is fumbling for somewhere to place it (it's not sex or drugs mantra) and Brescani has said nothing..... yet.

Like I said previously, I am glad UND is not in this predicament.

... internet poker and rape are the same class of felony in Washington. Should an internet poker player face the same consequences as a rapist?

Apparently, in Washington state, yes.

But this is North Dakota, and here voter fraud is an A misdemeanor.

I agree with your first part, but different cultures? Please.

That was mostly just me taking a dig at NDSU. If you come onto this board you should be prepared for it. :cool:

If Bohl would've just suspended them for this weekend's (or last weekend's) game, this would not be getting nearly as much attention as it is.

Remember: The next problem is always just a lawn mower toss away. ???

What is interesting is Bohl not following the precedent he set with Jemison (also an A misdemeanor). You can say there was more to the Jemison situation that triggered the dismissal, but that just opens the questions of what do or don't we know about these other eight and is Bohl dealing with them comparably.

Now that is the first fair assessment of the situation I have heard here all day. Who knows what went on with Jemison, maybe he had a history of minor things on the team and an attitude problem. You just never know the whole story and it will never be in the paper. When you hire someone for a job you have to trust them to do it until they prove they can't do it well. As I said, Coach Bohl has a history of being fair with disciplinary issues and has earned my trust.

Ojuri's traffic issues.

Jemison's wardrobe malfunction.

Now "voter fraud".

And that's just the last few months.

Like I said, I think that Ojuri should get the hammer(and possibly the boot) and Jemison got what he deserved. The rest of these guys, at most, deserve a game or two. I'm sure they will and I hope it is for the cupcake game.

Ojuri's traffic issues.

Jemison's wardrobe malfunction.

Now "voter fraud".

And that's just the last few months.

You've taken my post out of context. The pattern I was speaking of was if Coach Bohl develops a pattern of not handling disciplinary issues fairly. Up until this point he has, so he has earned a little bit of latitude in my eyes.

Like I said, I think that Ojuri should get the hammer(and possibly the boot) and Jemison got what he deserved. The rest of these guys, at most, deserve a game or two. I'm sure they will and I hope it is for the cupcake game.

Ojuri already got the hammer, worked wonders.

I dont know what kids did what. I dont know what kids (if any) actually deserve to be punished (as William Munny once said "deserves got nothing to do with it.")

All I do know is that after Taylor/Bohls "decision" and press conference/interviews yesterday, the conversation today about NDSU football and the Athletic program in general is that "Fraud is no big deal to the folks in Bisonville."

Do I think thats the case? No. Did Bohl do his best to make that the perception? Yes.

He could have ripped of the bandaid and moved on. But he couldnt. Its not like they killed anyone he said.

He blew it. It is perhaps not fair or right. But IMO he has a duty to protect the program and its integrity. He failed.

• Upvote 1

You've taken my post out of context. The pattern I was speaking of was if Coach Bohl develops a pattern of not handling disciplinary issues fairly. Up until this point he has, so he has earned a little bit of latitude in my eyes.

Maybe. But if there was more to Jemison's issues than what was disclosed, how is it even possible to be sure?

And earlier, I shouldn't have lumped you in those who don't think it was a big deal, your post I was responding to just happened to trigger my response. Those who are saying they were being lazy/just college kids/etc are seriously downplaying how this can/will affect these guys in their future. Being lazy is not an excuse for committing fraud or forgery. Whether they knew it or not, it was their responsibility.