SiouxSports.com Forum

Where to eat in Grand Forks.

sioux34

34 minutes ago, tnt said:

In the new strip mall on the south end it says Little Bangkok coming soon.  Is that a chain restaurant?

Nope, Little Bangkok originally was opened in 2010 in the Spud Jr location and has been in the Boardwalk since 2012ish

34 minutes ago, Oxbow6 said:

Ate at GF Rhomus Sunday. Pizza was terrific. 

u do wonder if rhombus guys would've just said their beer building will offer their pizza from their pizza building and just have a runner run them over to the beer building kinda like brick and barley does with orealys.....

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, SIOUXFAN97 said:

u do wonder if rhombus guys would've just said their beer building will offer their pizza from their pizza building and just have a runner run them over to the beer building kinda like brick and barley does with orealys.....

Although waiting for your pizza until a long train passed by might have been annoying.  

4 hours ago, Green Banner said:

Nope, Little Bangkok originally was opened in 2010 in the Spud Jr location and has been in the Boardwalk since 2012ish

Very unimpressed last time I was there.

On the other hand, just had the fajita quesadillas at Casa Mexico in EGF: orgasmic.

Side note: this is racing celebrity Scott Bloomquist eating at Casa Mexico.

Snapchat-897810672.jpg

Clips of his appearance on Dale Jr Download are available on youtube.

In Greater Grand Forks, 20 restaurant closures over past three years, but statistics don't indicate trouble.

A number of local restaurants haven’t been so fortunate. Since the spring of 2021, as many as 20 – and possibly more – restaurants have closed in Greater Grand Forks, including the March shuttering of the trendy Vinyl Taco on South Columbia Road.

Vinyl Taco’s closure came suddenly. It was open to customers in the first days of March, but by March 7, a sign on the door offered a blunt one-word statement: “Closed.”

Judging by other recent closures, Vinyl Taco’s demise shouldn’t necessarily be surprising. Others include Mama Maria’s (March 2021), East Grand Forks Burger King (2021), Sickies (August 2021), Scotty’s Deli (January 2022), HuHot (January 2022), Wild Bill’s Sports Saloon (May 2022), Denny’s (March 2022), Joe’s Diner (September 2022), Famous Dave’s (February 2023), Big Foot Barbecue (May 2023), Pita Pit (May 2023), Grand Forks CherryBerry (July 2023), Rhombus Guys Brewing Company taproom (July 2023), Burger King on Gateway (2023), Red Shed Smokehouse (September 2023), Boardwalk Bar and Grill (January 2024), Mo’s Cafe (2024) and La Cantina (spring 2024).

22 minutes ago, Oxbow6 said:

Sickies was a huge loss. You can look no further than to St Paul for the reason why.

I love Bernie's, but I miss Sickies Garage, I eat at the one in Fargo, when I get a chance. 

1 hour ago, Oxbow6 said:

Sickies was a huge loss. You can look no further than to St Paul for the reason why.

The one in EGF was not great. Poor service did them in more than anything.

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, Siouxperman8 said:

ate there once.  place was mostly empty and took most of an  an hour to get burgers after we ordered.

Had the same experiences at The Spud and Up North a few weeks ago. Service in general everywhere is subpar. 

7 hours ago, Goon said:

Schill said despite recent closures, associated statistics don’t necessarily indicate great troubles in the local restaurant industry. Restaurants have been opening and closing in Greater Grand Forks for years, but perhaps it just seems like it’s happening more often now, he said. Community chatter could be stoking the belief that it's happening at a higher rate.

One thought I have is it might be confirmation bias. It’s human nature to think of what is closing versus what is opening,” he said.

However, when this is mentioned on social media, there is almost never an accompanying discussion of restaurants that may have opened during the same time," he said.

And just by “looking at the data, I don’t really see a decline,” Schill said,

Right, "confirmation bias."  As in, this article lists many closures and highlights an old stalwart (Blue Moose), but does not mention a single opening.  Don't need a fancy, high-priced consultant to confirm that.

Is this bad journalism, or bad consulting?

9 hours ago, Blackheart said:

Yikes!

someone posted on facebook looking for gator meat in town and it got me thinking i should try it....the Cay sometimes has it but i haven't been there in a long time...called L and M and they don't sell it....

should've tried the camel burger at ely's when i was there but got the walleye (so good)

another great idea from me...

L&M meats used to have 2 locations ...one north by the bun and their current location......there current spot can get super super busy at times......

they need to open up an L&M express downtown that only sells their packeaged stuff in coolers.........dawgs, patties, fish, ground beef, stuff like that 

grab and go...no cutting only frozen/freeze dried/packaged stuff

on kittson next to rhombus guys?  the old guisseppe"s location?

would take pressure off south location.

13 hours ago, SiouxFanSince1990 said:

Gator is actually delicious. Live a little.

It tastes like chicken. I ate it once at Faneuil Hall Boston and it was delicious. 

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1