SiouxSports.com Forum

2012-13 Season

geaux_sioux

Nice article from College Hockey News - North Dakota Rolling with the Changes

The drive to bring home a National Championship

"I played with many good players who played for four years and didn't get a chance to raise that trophy and I think that's something that everyone should have in the back of their minds," MacWilliam said. "It's so much more than the 26 guys who dress every night. There's more people involved in this. There's hundreds of people who have worn that Fighting Sioux uniform, cheer for us, our fans and everyone involved. I think that's the bigger picture. We want to win it for them as well."

Nice article from College Hockey News - North Dakota Rolling with the Changes

The drive to bring home a National Championship

"I played with many good players who played for four years and didn't get a chance to raise that trophy and I think that's something that everyone should have in the back of their minds," MacWilliam said. "It's so much more than the 26 guys who dress every night. There's more people involved in this. There's hundreds of people who have worn that Fighting Sioux uniform, cheer for us, our fans and everyone involved. I think that's the bigger picture. We want to win it for them as well."

I agree with MacWilliam 100%.

But, according to some people on here, winning a national championship is just too hard for our program to achieve. So we should just tip our caps to every single other school that wins the national championship and be content with WCHA (and starting next season, NCHC) regular-season and playoff titles. :silly:

The standards and expectations for our fan base have really softened up from where they were when I was a kid in the 1980's and a UND student in the 1990's. It's nice to see that the players don't think like that. I take it as a good omen. :)

But, according to some people on here, winning a national championship is just too hard for our program to achieve. So we should just tip our caps to every single other school that wins the national championship and be content with WCHA (and starting next season, NCHC) regular-season and playoff titles. :silly:

The standards and expectations for our fan base have really softened up from where they were when I was a kid in the 1980's and a UND student in the 1990's. It's nice to see that the players don't think like that. I take it as a good omen. :)

Dean Blais isn't coming back.

Watch out for that cliff, man!

We are a lucky fanbase in that we compete for a national title every year- the parity in college hockey has made it harder to win than it was in the 80's. That said, I go into every season with the expectation that we will be competitive. SOme years more than others. I agree with you that there are some apologist fans, but I think it is more about taking the good when we don't get great...I might want fillet, but I won't complain if I get a ribeye

Any word on Parks? I guess my post was erased cause I am not a president of the college, the siouxsports forum, or my poop stinks? We aren't allowed to discuss injuries no more?

Hak was quoted as saying he is still being evaluated and he doesn't have any different info than he had on monday. He said Parks will not play this weekend.

My man Wilbur mentioned pressure box, diamond, and box...all solid pp set-ups. I always like the overload myself...I love the idea of forcing the defensive strong side winger down to help, which frees up the point to creep, which if they rotate to cover leaves that weakside winger with a nice bottom of the circle look at an out of position goalie...

It will be fun to see what Bubba brings to the table

When I coached we ran overload 90 percent of the time. A good system with a lot of possibilities if run correctly. Also makes it easy to roll into another system like the umbrella if you get pressure boxed. We had about five or six set plays out of the overload. I bet college teams with the amount of practice time they have could run utmost of 15-20.

fightingsioux4life, tell that to the fans of UW, UMi, BC, UM, DU and others. It's one thing to believe that year in and year out your team should compete it's quite another to expect that they should win the NC. Each and every one of these programs have had significant stints without a title and while the assumption may be to blame the program the proper realization is that there are dozens of other programs every year that are gaming for the same result before the season begins and others that feel good about themselves a few months in that perhaps were not expected to compete. UND has a damn fine program with a rich tradition and rarely suffers, but that said stuff happens. As much as a UND fan would love to rip on the Gophers, did it really make sense for that program to not win a NC from 79 to 02? Likewise was it logical to expect them to repeat in 03? Your fans rightfully demand excellence because the program delivers, but the fact is winning a NC aint easy. Sorry for jumping in but you guys know exactly how we felt for several years following 79 made even worse by 89 et al...

• Upvote 1

Any word on Parks? I guess my post was erased cause I am not a president of the college, the siouxsports forum, or my poop stinks? We aren't allowed to discuss injuries no more?

He's still on crutches and is being re-evaluated this week, will not play this weekend.

fightingsioux4life, tell that to the fans of UW, UMi, BC, UM, DU and others. It's one thing to believe that year in and year out your team should compete it's quite another to expect that they should win the NC. Each and every one of these programs have had significant stints without a title and while the assumption may be to blame the program the proper realization is that there are dozens of other programs every year that are gaming for the same result before the season begins and others that feel good about themselves a few months in that perhaps were not expected to compete. UND has a damn fine program with a rich tradition and rarely suffers, but that said stuff happens. As much as a UND fan would love to rip on the Gophers, did it really make sense for that program to not win a NC from 79 to 02? Likewise was it logical to expect them to repeat in 03? Your fans rightfully demand excellence because the program delivers, but the fact is winning a NC aint easy. Sorry for jumping in but you guys know exactly how we felt for several years following 79 made even worse by 89 et al...

Well said...certainly agree.

I agree 100%. I have no doubt that if the gophers don't win the WCHA or the NCAA this year you will hear the inevitable "chokers" rant. I realize part of it is good natured ribbing between rivals, as I am sure that there were a few gopher fans saying the same thing after the Sioux loss to Michigan a few years ago. In reality, you have to have a lot go right to win when you are predicted to win, mainly because you are going to be the team with the bullseye. Minnesota and UND have that bullseye anyway, but it heightens it that much more. Choking is when you have a big lead and lose it by tightening up, not when you get beat by a goaltender or outstanding effort from another team.

Losing our very best players every 4 years for the Olympics sure didnt help us during those 23 years without title.

Knights face off win percentage has been off the charts. I think he may have been 80% or so vs USA but even going back to last season its been a automatic win. Huge weapon to have in critical points of a game! He may be the best overall center in the nation and that's not a stretch to say.

Can anyone remember any former Sioux centerman comparable to Knight?? The 2 way play is like most Sioux forwards but the face off% is what seperates him from many.

Knights face off win percentage has been off the charts. I think he may have been 80% or so vs USA but even going back to last season its been a automatic win. Huge weapon to have in critical points of a game! He may be the best overall center in the nation and that's not a stretch to say.

Can anyone remember any former Sioux centerman comparable to Knight?? The 2 way play is like most Sioux forwards but the face off% is what seperates him from many.

I have always compared his style of play and how he looks on the ice to Jonny Toews. Not saying he is even close to being the same caliber, but their playing styles are similar. Not overly flashy, but still have very high end skills. Equally good in all zones and both are probably the best faceoff man in their respective leagues. Rarely loses a board battle, and they both use their bodies very well to protect the puck. Toews is more of a goal scorer than Knight though, Knight more of a set up man.

• Upvote 1

I have always compared his style of play and how he looks on the ice to Jonny Toews. Not saying he is even close to being the same caliber, but their playing styles are similar. Not overly flashy, but still have very high end skills. Equally good in all zones and both are probably the best faceoff man in their respective leagues. Rarely loses a board battle, and they both use their bodies very well to protect the puck. Toews is more of a goal scorer than Knight though, Knight more of a set up man.

Nice post and I can see that in Corban. If they do decide to go with Rocco/knight/kristo when home vs Uaa who know what type of numbers these guys could put up. If healthy all around as a team, I like this top line together!