SiouxSports.com Forum

2012-13 Season

geaux_sioux

Knights face off win percentage has been off the charts. I think he may have been 80% or so vs USA but even going back to last season its been a automatic win. Huge weapon to have in critical points of a game! He may be the best overall center in the nation and that's not a stretch to say.

Can anyone remember any former Sioux centerman comparable to Knight?? The 2 way play is like most Sioux forwards but the face off% is what seperates him from many.

Knight was 18/22 in the last exhibition game. That's eye popping.

Knights face off win percentage has been off the charts. I think he may have been 80% or so vs USA but even going back to last season its been a automatic win. Huge weapon to have in critical points of a game! He may be the best overall center in the nation and that's not a stretch to say.

Can anyone remember any former Sioux centerman comparable to Knight?? The 2 way play is like most Sioux forwards but the face off% is what seperates him from many.

Haha....yeah I could rattle off a few. But in all seriousness he is a very good player. I definitely agree with the previous 4-5 posters.

Haha....yeah I could rattle off a few. But in all seriousness he is a very good player. I definitely agree with the previous 4-5 posters.

Yeah we all know he's a hell of a two way forward which most all UND players are but the face off numbers are pretty impressive!

Yeah we all know he's a hell of a two way forward which most all UND players are but the face off numbers are pretty impressive!

I don't remember a player that was this dominate... Knight is one of the best I have seen and I have been following UND hockey since 1992. Also, we have more stats at our disposal than days past as well.

Knight broke ZPar's face off% record two years ago. I think certainly they are different types of players but both with very solid all around games.

I see Knighter as a less skilled Toewser- similar to as15

Toews might be the best two-way center in the NHL, so the gap is pretty dramatic, but that is the best comp I can make

Knight is just a really efficient player. He's not flashy at all and doesn't stand out as much as others but all he does is make great plays and play solid d and win faceoffs. He's like that player that everyone played against that was highly touted but people always said 'he's not that good' or 'he can't even skate' (as was said about a young Gretzky) and it turns out that player goes on to be great at the next level and just isn't anything other than efficient. Knight is just very under rated.

They haven't tallied the stats from the AA win on USCHO yet...kind of strange.

As per Knight- I've said it before- there is so much more to being a hockey player than lightening speed, sick stickhandling, and rocket release- positional play, anticipation, how you play all three zones AWAY from the puck. It is the sum of all these things that make a great hockey player.

There are plenty of guys with elite offensive skill toiling in the minor leagues or Europe, because a more rounded, less flashy player took their job in the NHL.

They haven't tallied the stats from the AA win on USCHO yet...kind of strange.

As per Knight- I've said it before- there is so much more to being a hockey player than lightening speed, sick stickhandling, and rocket release- positional play, anticipation, how you play all three zones AWAY from the puck. It is the sum of all these things that make a great hockey player.

There are plenty of guys with elite offensive skill toiling in the minor leagues or Europe, because a more rounded, less flashy player took their job in the NHL.

I totally agree, I feel like hockey sense is the most important attribute. I really think it makes or breaks a hockey career. There are a lot of guys with the physical attributes; skating, size, shot, stick handling, and the main difference between being Evgeni Malkin rather than a Jason Chimera is hockey sense. That being said, I think you can be an effective player with any combination of those attributes, but those attributes that you do have will determine which role you will play on the team.

A good example on our team is Derek Rodwell. He has very good physical attributes. He is very big, fast, shoots hard, but does not play on our scoring lines. I don't think he will ever play on a scoring line at UND but thats ok because he is a very good checking line player, he might even be good enough to play that role in the NHL if he continues to develop.

When Rodwell scored that great shorthanded goal against Maine his freshman season, I thought he was going to put up better point totals, but he does a great job in the role that he is in now. Nice to have him chip in from time to time, but he is valuable to the team as a role player.

Some who excel at a particular phase of the game get that way by keeping things simple. Brandon Bochinski did not have a wicked shot or top-end speed, but he always got the puck on net if he was between the dots (and often outside). Always. Not a lot of head fakes or dangling--he just fired away. Too bad his all around play was not good enough to keep him in the NHL.

Some who excel at a particular phase of the game get that way by keeping things simple. Brandon Bochinski did not have had a wicked shot or top-end speed, but he always got the puck on net if he was between the dots (and often outside). Always. Not a lot of head fakes or dangling--he just fired away. Too bad his all around play was not good enough to keep him in the NHL.

Bochenski had a great shot. that's what made him good in college when his skating was a little suspect. just my opinion tho.

Bochenski had a great shot. that's what made him good in college when his skating was a little suspect. just my opinion tho.

I'm a little sketchy in the details but I think the story was about Kozek and his shot and they asked the goalie about the heaviest shot they faced in college and it was Bochenski's.

I want to say that the goalie was Lamoureux but he didn't play the same time as Bochenski, maybe it was from summer or practice. Parise play against them both but I still think it was Phil.

Kozek could let it fly, but his release was not quick. That is why he didn't score a ton of goals in his career.

Bochenski was the best pure shooter I've seen play with UND in recent memory. Heavy, accurate shot with an NHL release. He also put himself into position to take good shots.

Frattin had a rocket too, and was just a complete beast the last 60 or so games of his career.

Duncan was very, very accurate; especially from the top of the circle down to the dot. He rarely missed, and could just tuck it right in that near side upper.