SiouxSports.com Forum

2012-13 Season

geaux_sioux

Update: Grimaldi to play center.....that messes with my preseason line combos a bit.....

Alright....trying this again....Although yzerman will put something way better together and make me look stupid... :p

Knight-Kristo-O'Donnell

MacMillan-Grimaldi-Parks

Rodwell-Rowney-Chyzyk

Caggiula-Pattyn-Gaarder

*Edit*

Reasons.....MacMillan and Parks were great together, can't split them up. Pattyn is a grinder that needs to be the Lamoureax type fourth line grinder. The Knight-Kristo line needs a big body to play with them that can produce, and O'Donnell fills that role. Putting Rodwell with Rowney and Chyzyk gives you three big bodies that can score and possibly matchup against a top unit.

Fourth line....lots of different scenarios there....

I think you meant to have Knight at center on that line.

Update: Grimaldi to play center.....that messes with my preseason line combos a bit.....

Alright....trying this again....Although yzerman will put something way better together and make me look stupid... :p

Knight-Kristo-O'Donnell

MacMillan-Grimaldi-Parks

Rodwell-Rowney-Chyzyk

Caggiula-Pattyn-Gaarder

*Edit*

Reasons.....MacMillan and Parks were great together, can't split them up. Pattyn is a grinder that needs to be the Lamoureax type fourth line grinder. The Knight-Kristo line needs a big body to play with them that can produce, and O'Donnell fills that role. Putting Rodwell with Rowney and Chyzyk gives you three big bodies that can score and possibly matchup against a top unit.

Fourth line....lots of different scenarios there....

During media day yesterday Kristo said that they have tried a bunch of combinations on the first line at left wing.

From reliable source...one line that has been clicking so far is the General w St Claire and Rodwell

I like that combination. Pattyn or St. Claire can play center, so you won't overly need to worry about a guy getting tossed on the draw. Plus a guy like Rodwell is tough to play against. Strong/big/physical....

My guess

MacMillan - Knight - Kristo

O'Donnell - Grimaldi - Parks

Caggiula - Rowney - St Clair

Chyzyk - Pattyn - Rodwell

Gaarder - Sanderson - Senkbeil

MacWilliam - Gleason

Forbert - Schmaltz

Simpson - Mattson

I think we'll see a few players tried out at left wing on the 1st line, O'Donnell, Rodwell to name a couple. The second line could easily be the same as last year with MacMillan - Rowney - Parks, at times they played better than the 1st line last year, but it's hard to see Grimaldi to be on the 3rd line so I went with Grimaldi. Rowney with a couple of freshman on the 3rd line, I've seen St Clair play but not Caggiula, thinkin he has some skill since they brought him in early and the energy line with Pattyn. Defense looks really solid, lookin foward to see Gleason back on Defense finally, skating the puck up the ice with his speed. Can't wait til the puck drops.

I wouldn't mind Rodwell clearing up space for Knight and Kristo. I missed that physicality on the first line last year. Malone and Frattin were so fun to watch because not only would they outscore you, they would outhit you as well.

I heard Macmillan will play on that top line to start the season. For some odd reason Rowney will center the third line, however, will play on the top PP unit. Mattson will be the QB on the top unit, while Schmaltz will be QBing the second PP unit. I'm not sure where Simpson fits in just yet, regardin his PP time, however it must be with Schmaltz on that second unit. I'm expecting a breakout year from Simpson this year.

I heard Macmillan will play on that top line to start the season. For some odd reason Rowney will center the third line, however, will play on the top PP unit. Mattson will be the QB on the top unit, while Schmaltz will be QBing the second PP unit. I'm not sure where Simpson fits in just yet, regardin his PP time, however it must be with Schmaltz on that second unit. I'm expecting a breakout year from Simpson this year.

You don't think Simpson will be with Mattson on the top unit? Or do you expect a forward to play the other point, Kristo? Possibly Grimaldi?

I'm thinking this

O'Donnel-Knight-Kristo

Macmillian-Grimaldi-Parks

Chyzyk-Rowney-Caggiula

St. clair-Pattyn-Rodwell

I think O'Donnel will play with Knight and Kristo. I don't think you want to break up the chemistry between Macmillian and Parks, Grimaldi can center the second line with them which is not an insult to Rowney at all. Rowney centers the third line with Caggiula and Chyzyk at wing, it worked last year with the freshman, maybe it'll work again this year. They said St.Clair Pattyn and Rodwell looked good together so they will make a good grinding line. The thing I like about this year team is I think we can have 2 scoring lines and 2 grinding lines or 3 scoring lines and 1 grinding line depending who's on the third line with Rowney.

MacWilliam- Mattson

Forbort-Schmaltz

Simpson-Gleason

• Upvote 1

You don't think Simpson will be with Mattson on the top unit? Or do you expect a forward to play the other point, Kristo? Possibly Grimaldi?

Because I am slightly conventional I like 2 dmen on the point for a PP. But I have heard that Kristo may play the point while Rocco, Rowney and Knight play up front (with Mattson also playing the point). I really think Simpson will be good this year so it won't surprise me if they switch it up...or start the year with both of those guys playing the point. Hak does a pretty good job at seeing who gels so I'll leave it at that. But I hear this from someone who is close to the team.

I'm thinking this

O'Donnel-Knight-Kristo

Macmillian-Grimaldi-Parks

Chyzyk-Rowney-Caggiula

St. clair-Pattyn-Rodwell

I think O'Donnel will play with Knight and Kristo. I don't think you want to break up the chemistry between Macmillian and Parks, Grimaldi can center the second line with them which is not an insult to Rowney at all. Rowney centers the third line with Caggiula and Chyzyk at wing, it worked last year with the freshman, maybe it'll work again this year. They said St.Clair Pattyn and Rodwell looked good together so they will make a good grinding line. The thing I like about this year team is I think we can have 2 scoring lines and 2 grinding lines or 3 scoring lines and 1 grinding line depending who's on the third line with Rowney.

MacWilliam- Mattson

Forbort-Schmaltz

Simpson-Gleason

100% concur with one exception- I wrote almost the identical post this afternoon at work, which i lost due to not being logged in. Oh, and Wilbur- I am by no means an expert- I play one on the internet : )

My one change is that I put Schmaltz with Mac and Mattson with Forbert- give the rookie first rounder some padding with the MAC truck

Kristo is not the answer up top on the powerplay. We watched that till thanksgiving last year,running the powerplay is not a strong suit. He holds on to the puck to long, to much stickhandling. Hak has too many D that can run the PP. Simpson/Mattson would be my first pairing....Forbort/Gleason or Schmaltz second unit.

• Upvote 1

Kristo is not the answer up top on the powerplay. We watched that till thanksgiving last year,running the powerplay is not a strong suit. He holds on to the puck to long, to much stickhandling. Hak has too many D that can run the PP. Simpson/Mattson would be my first pairing....Forbort/Gleason or Schmaltz second unit.

My first pp unit would have Danny as the weakside shooter, not on the point.

I'd put Knight at center to win the draw and wreak havoc in front of the net. Danny as weakside shooter and playmaker. Rowney as the third forward, Mattson and Simpson up top

My 2nd pp unit would be Grimaldi at center put then roll to the weakside shooter and playmaker. Parks to wreak havoc around the net, and O'Donnell on the stronside. Schmaltz and Gleason up top.

100% concur with one exception- I wrote almost the identical post this afternoon at work, which i lost due to not being logged in. Oh, and Wilbur- I am by no means an expert- I play one on the internet : )

My one change is that I put Schmaltz with Mac and Mattson with Forbert- give the rookie first rounder some padding with the MAC truck

I was thinking about putting Schmaltz with MacWilliam and Mattson with Forbort but if the they do that I think they'll wait until Schmaltz finds his groove but i could be wrong.

My first pp unit would have Danny as the weakside shooter, not on the point.

I'd put Knight at center to win the draw and wreak havoc in front of the net. Danny as weakside shooter and playmaker. Rowney as the third forward, Mattson and Simpson up top

My 2nd pp unit would be Grimaldi at center put then roll to the weakside shooter and playmaker. Parks to wreak havoc around the net, and O'Donnell on the stronside. Schmaltz and Gleason up top.

Good points. Danny is a bit too shoot happy to be at the top of the point. The top guy needs to be a distributor with the patience to set it up, and wait for the pk unit to show its hand as to what they are doing (pressure box, diamond, box, etc.).

I think with Danny on the weakside you make the pk unit respect his presence which stretches them out a bit. That way you have a number of options getting the puck to the net. I like having O'Donnell or Rowney as the third body in front of the net. Size with hands in front never hurts.

My man Wilbur mentioned pressure box, diamond, and box...all solid pp set-ups. I always like the overload myself...I love the idea of forcing the defensive strong side winger down to help, which frees up the point to creep, which if they rotate to cover leaves that weakside winger with a nice bottom of the circle look at an out of position goalie...

It will be fun to see what Bubba brings to the table