SiouxSports.com Forum

2012-13 Season

geaux_sioux

After seeing the winning percentage data compiled, If found it difficult to form many conclusions that allowed me to keep complaining. SO - I decided to add in a few more parameters to the data-sets. For those who want to keep track at home, here are just a few of the parameters I used for my analysis:

• Win percentage versus teams that have a mammal that hibernates as their mascot.
  • Win percentage in years that the previous years American Idol winner is male.
  • Win percentage on weekends that are shared with a James Bond movie premiere.
  • Road wins in cities that have mortgage defaults greater than 18%.
  • Home win percentage during games wherein the visiting head coach forgets how to get to the locker room.
  • A few others that seemed kind of pointless after I thought about them for a while

I would post the results, but I am not gonna lie...they didn't make a lot of sense. But I was able to draw a few definate conclusions that were startling.

1. Winning is pretty much awesome.
  2. Losing is significantly less awesome.
  3. The suck factor of losing, and the awesomeness coefficient of winning, are almost always independant of whether the wins or losses happen on friday vs. saturday but are highly dependant on wether or not they happen during november vs. March.
  4. The gophers suck no matter what their record is.
  5. Our success or (lack of it) is helped (or hindered) by the strength (or weakness)of the other teams in our conference. The line between winning and losing is probably alot thinner than most of us realize.
  6. Denver is nearly identical to Minnesota in the sense that they suck regardless of record. Hard to believe - but it is science. Look it up.

*** Disclaimer: Don't get me wrong, I am not a person that gets mad when someone posts an early season poll, or a theorizes about the cause of our problems early in the season. I actually am just always glad when there is SOME kind of traffic on the forum. Helps pass the day.

Thanks to AZ for digging up those stats.

• Upvote 1

After seeing the winning percentage data compiled, If found it difficult to form many conclusions that allowed me to keep complaining. SO - I decided to add in a few more parameters to the data-sets. For those who want to keep track at home, here are just a few of the parameters I used for my analysis:

• Win percentage versus teams that have a mammal that hibernates as their mascot.
  • Win percentage in years that the previous years American Idol winner is male.
  • Win percentage on weekends that are shared with a James Bond movie premiere.
  • Road wins in cities that have mortgage defaults greater than 18%.
  • Home win percentage during games wherein the visiting head coach forgets how to get to the locker room.
  • A few others that seemed kind of pointless after I thought about them for a while

I would post the results, but I am not gonna lie...they didn't make a lot of sense. But I was able to draw a few definate conclusions that were startling.

1. Winning is pretty much awesome.

2. Losing is significantly less awesome.

3. The suck factor of losing, and the awesomeness coefficient of winning, are almost always independant of whether the wins or losses happen on friday vs. saturday but are highly dependant on wether or not they happen during november vs. March.

4. The gophers suck no matter what their record is.

5. Our success or (lack of it) is helped (or hindered) by the strength (or weakness)of the other teams in our conference. The line between winning and losing is probably alot thinner than most of us realize.

6. Denver is nearly identical to Minnesota in the sense that they suck regardless of record. Hard to believe - but it is science. Look it up.

*** Disclaimer: Don't get me wrong, I am not a person that gets mad when someone posts an early season poll, or a theorizes about the cause of our problems early in the season. I actually am just always glad when there is SOME kind of traffic on the forum. Helps pass the day.

Thanks to AZ for digging up those stats.

The_Thinker_Musee_Rodin.jpg

We need more of you on this board!

GF Herald article - UND Men's Hockey: Minnesota, UND go on hiatus next season

Next season, for the first time in 65 years, UND and Minnesota will not play against each other and no future matchups are currently scheduled after the teams meet this January.

If UND coach Dave Hakstol has his way, the rivalry will be back on in short order. He has an available slot in 2015-16 for the teams to play — possibly even in a showcase, tournament or Hall of Fame Game — and he has set aside slots for Minnesota in 2016-17 and 2017-18.

UND kept dates for 2013-14 and 2014-15 open in hopes that there would be no break in the rivalry, but there was no agreement. UND is now full for next season and has just one slot open in 2014-15. Hakstol will likely fill that soon.

Future nonconference games for UND: Bemidji State (home-and-home series), Wisconsin, Boston University, Michigan State, Vermont, Providence, Northern Michigan

http://www.grandforksherald.com/event/article/id/249487/

Minnesota coach Don Lucia was unavailable for comment Thursday, but has said in the past that he may not want to play the rivalry every year.

“We will go back there as a nonconference team,” Lucia said at a media gathering in January. “We have a great rivalry. Sometimes, it gets a little over the top and I’m not sure that is healthy for anybody. So we will continue to play, but I doubt we will continue to play each and every year.”

He is saying since UND kicks our *** every year we choose not to play them as we need wins to up our RPI rating and reach the playoffs.

I hope the BTHC flops.

So why would Luccia not want to play UND?

No clue, my best guess is it having something to do with the last few years and the handshake line stuff. Call it a cooling off period or whatever you want (I'm sure many UND fans will call it hiding or whatever) but most fans of both teams will agree that it sucks. Hopefully they can fire it up again in a few years.

Best I can tell for Lucia (really bored at work right now) is 23-26-5 and that includes regular season, WCHA playoffs, and NCAA's.

UND has a losing all-time record vs UMN.

I think the last 5 to 10 years though UND has certainly gotten the better of them no question. I know last year they did win a majority of the games we played against them.

However we have ended their season a couple of times and have swept them out of our building in pretty convincing fashion. To me they are just looking to play soft teams to pad their stats to ensure they make the tournament every year. We all know Minnesota doesn't like to leave their home rink so they are going to schedule as many cupcakes at home as possible.Ultimately it doesn't pay to play sub par teams and the fans will be the ones losing out.

I think the last 5 to 10 years though UND has certainly gotten the better of them no question. I know last year they did win a majority of the games we played against them.

However we have ended their season a couple of times and have swept them out of our building in pretty convincing fashion. To me they are just looking to play soft teams to pad their stats to ensure they make the tournament every year. We all know Minnesota doesn't like to leave their home rink so they are going to schedule as many cupcakes at home as possible.Ultimately it doesn't pay to play sub par teams and the fans will be the ones losing out.

They already have 2 cupcakes every year in Penn St and Ohio State.

Only team that didn't fit the struggle right away mold under Hak was the Frattin group. If this team stays above water and keeps paddling, with the history of second half surges, they have a good chance of getting a top three finish in the league, and hopefully a good seed in the NCAA tournament.

This team is 5-3-2 through 10 games with Alaska and a traditional Hockey East Power as non-conference opponents ( we have gone 1-2-0 against non-conference)

The 2010-2011 Frozen Four squad was 5-4-1 through 10 games with Alaska and a traditional Hockey East Power as non-conference opponents (we went 1-2-0 against non-conference)

This team is 5-3-2 through 10 games with Alaska and a traditional Hockey East Power as non-conference opponents ( we have gone 1-2-0 against non-conference)

The 2010-2011 Frozen Four squad was 5-4-1 through 10 games with Alaska and a traditional Hockey East Power as non-conference opponents (we went 1-2-0 against non-conference)

True. And that team did get smoked by Maine at Alfond. Not a pretty series.

You're correct but to be fair teams rarely play a conference opponent in non conf play. Big games in south bend

Non-conference record is not he same as record against non-conference opponents. I was referring to the latter.

If we count non-conference record, the 2010-2011 team was actually 1-2-1 (they also played anchorage- to a tie in a nc game)