SiouxSports.com Forum

Sioux vs. Beavers

siouxnami

I agree that was one of the tougher ones to watch, especially considering UND was considered the favorite at the frozen four, but I still vaguely remember (due to a high quantity of alcohol) the a$$kicking BC gave us at the ff in Denver. That one stung.

That one was miserable to witness. The outcome was decided ten minutes in.

At least v. Michigan there was a chance to recover to the very end.

They will be on FCS. (Unless you watch them on DirecTV, then all bets are off, as evidenced by this past weekend.)

Interesting, I have been watching on FCS all year through Directv. I thought only directv carried FCS but there is always the webcast I guess. Thanks for the info.

Interesting, I have been watching on FCS all year through Directv. I thought only directv carried FCS but there is always the webcast I guess. Thanks for the info.

I believe that FCS is mainly carried by cable systems. It's probably been very lucky that this past weekend was the first time DirecTV didn't pick up the games.

We all want big game success, but I disagree with your post. This year has shown us that Hak is a very good coach.

In a one and done format, the best teams often don't win. Just look at the NCAA basketball tourney. Remember, these are 18-22 year old kids on average, which adds another variable into the mix. Don't get me wrong, I see those 7 green banners in the Ralph, and know that it's been quite awhile since a new one was hung. I wouldn't choose 1 NCAA title and 11 seasons of sucking.

Yep. Even the best teams in the history of college hockey lost about a third of their games. In a four round, one and done format, the odds are against every team who shows up. That's hockey. Look at the NHL playoffs last year in fact. Out of 15 series the lower seed won the first game of the series 7 times, which is almost half the time. Hell, five of those series were won by the lower seed, a full third of all series.

The Sioux have had a couple poor post-season games over the past seven years. However, the vast majority of the time they played well and lost because of a statistical anomaly, such as losing when you outshoot a team 40-20, or bad luck, such as a puck bouncing straight off a back wall and somehow ending up right in front of the net for a goal all in less than 2 seconds.

Simply because one realizes these facts and recognizes the consistently strong on-ice play of every Hakstol-led team over the past eight seasons doesn't mean one is satisfied with just "being there". We all want the Sioux to win it all every year. We're fans of the team, which is why we also give credit where credit is due rather than forming opinions out of sheer emotion and throwing Hakstol under the bus.

• Upvote 1

And yet when the Sioux are knocked out of the tournament this year, and they most likely will be, the same fair-weather fans who only post when UND reaches the NCAA tournament or when they fail to win the NCAA tournament will be on here talking about how they choked, Hak should be fired, Blais would have won, yada yada yada.

No mention (or comprehension) how hard it is to mold a team with everchanging parts, get to the tournament, and put them into position to win a championship every single year.

My 2 favorite teams in college athletics mirror each other very closely, Sioux hockey and Griz football, and even though both have gone through a dry spell where it's been "close but no cigar", I wouldn't trade either of those dominant programs for any other out there today, and top-notch coaching is what has put them in position to make a run at the championship almost every year.

I see the games will be on DirecTV/FCS. But what about on FSSN? Err, I mean NDSN or WTF it is now days?

Via UND Men's Hockey on twitter

All games this weekend will be on UND Sports Network, Fox College Sports Central, DirecTV 617 & MidcoSN3.

One more TV note for this weekend: theScore in Canada will show Friday's game on tape delay on Sunday at 3 pm CT.

There is no question in my mind that part of the job expectation of the Fighting Sioux Hockey Coach is to win some national championships.

Hak has done a great job in some areas - recruiting, developing NHL talent, giving us a unified team that plays Fighting Sioux Hockey, and this year squeezing a ton out of a depleted line-up. However, we need a championship soon. I'm not buying the argument that it is almost impossible with the format and also because of the quirks of fate that have been against us. Of course it's hard. That's why it is special. When can we be the team that steals one with a hot goalie or that comes up with a game plan that disrupts a superior team? If it takes so many breaks to win one then the Gophers, Denver, and BC must have been off the charts lucky to go back to back. I hate to see our view of National Championships change from something we expect to happen to something that will only come if the stars align. During Gino and Blais's tenures we won at a rate of about 1 every 5 years.

I am not saying Hak should be fired. He's getting great talent and giving us good teams. Just time to make one more step. We have the best program, fans and facilities in the country. Time to get it done.

• Upvote 1

There is no question in my mind that part of the job expectation of the Fighting Sioux Hockey Coach is to win some national championships.

Hak has done a great job in some areas - recruiting, developing NHL talent, giving us a unified team that plays Fighting Sioux Hockey, and this year squeezing a ton out of a depleted line-up. However, we need a championship soon. I'm not buying the argument that it is almost impossible with the format and also because of the quirks of fate that have been against us. Of course it's hard. That's why it is special. When can we be the team that steals one with a hot goalie or that comes up with a game plan that disrupts a superior team? If it takes so many breaks to win one then the Gophers, Denver, and BC must have been off the charts lucky to go back to back. I hate to see our view of National Championships change from something we expect to happen to something that will only come if the stars align. During Gino and Blais's tenures we won at a rate of about 1 every 5 years.

I am not saying Hak should be fired. He's getting great talent and giving us good teams. Just time to make one more step. We have the best program, fans and facilities in the country. Time to get it done.

I don't remember BC winning back-to-back titles.

So, if the new criteria is championships, how much longer are some of you willing to wait? I'd like to know how much longer we stay with Hak and who we replace him with.

And also answer this: if the new guy fails to make the NCAA tournament, even only after one season, should he be fired too?

So, if the new criteria is championships, how much longer are some of you willing to wait? I'd like to know how much longer we stay with Hak and who we replace him with.

And also answer this: if the new guy fails to make the NCAA tournament, even only after one season, should he be fired too?

No question this issue is personal. It's like trying to convince a firmly committed liberal or conservative to see things differently.

Aint gonna happen.

I've gotten selfish in my old age. I just like to watch the Sioux play really good hockey all season long. That's a lot of Friday and Saturday night pleasure. They don't always win, of course, but when they play at the level they have been playing for many years, its still a pleasure even when they lose. That works for me. Watching the DOT line, for example. That group didn't win a banner, but we all knew we were being treated to something special night in and night out and would look back on that time very fondly, and we do. Would I trade getting to watch those guys put on a show for two years for mediocrity but success in the final game of the FF? No. But that's just me. It all depends on what you get out of the bragging rights part of it, and I can completely see how some people need the hardware on a regular basis.

If it were obvious coaching deficiencies (other that banners), then I could see impatience. But I don't hear much criticism of the Xs and Os of Hak's coaching. If the program were suffering, I could see impatience. But after watching Sioux hockey for over 40 years, I think the program's reputation is as good as it's ever been, perhaps better than it's ever been. I don't live in GF to see the boys play regularly, and I'm not as tuned in to some of those issues, so I may be missing something.

As for who I would trade Hak for? York-yes. Lucia-no. Eaves-no. Berenson-no. Gwoz-possibly (but no). Nobody else that I can think of would make Sioux hockey any better than it is at this point in time under this coach.

• Upvote 2

Looks like we already have a couple candidates lined up for when Hakstol retires. Good to see, since evidently coaching an elite college hockey team is so easy.

Yeah, its easy to make the postseason and four Frozen Fours in a row. Its easy to coach a team with only 17 healthy skaters (I'm betting a few of them are dinged up that we don't know about) and mediocre goaltending (for the most part this season....They have turned it on as of late) to home ice and a possible postseason birth.

Danny Kristo, Ben Blood, Aaron Dell were all pretty stupid to stick around for another year with the poor coaching they've been getting.

Its a good thing that Blais recruited all these great hockey players the last seven years as well. Hopefully Deano can make it Friday night and show Seth Jones around the building.

The games will NOT be on Directv here is a couple of excerpts I have had with customer service in regards to the no TV the last 3/4 games:

Due to bandwidth constraints, we didn’t air the University of North Dakota hockey game. Whenever these events are changed, we remove the listing from our guide as soon as possible.

Many factors affect the availability of the programming we provide and we must reserve the unrestricted right to change, rearrange and add or delete our programming at any time. This is in accordance with the DIRECTV Customer Agreement, which is available online at directv.com/agreements.

One such factor may include the popularity of the event or game being played. Our goal is to provide as much quality programming, within our bandwidth, which will appeal to the broadest audience possible.

We apologize for any frustration you may have experienced with being unable to view the University of North Dakota hockey game.

All the RSNs we carry, local and non-local, are available to our customers who have our SPORTS PACK or our PREMIER package; however, this does not guarantee a sporting event will be aired. In certain circumstances, we may not be able to air a game based on bandwidth.

After thoroughly researching your request to view the University of North Dakota Hockey games, we found these games are not scheduled to be aired on DIRECTV this weekend. We apologize for any frustration this situation may cause.

Direct TV is killing me!!!!!!! Sioux hockey is the only reason I pay for the premier package. I think I may switch to Comcast here in Colorado they have FCS as a regular channel.

Though after next season our games won't be on FCS anyways. So I guess it depends if you want to switch that badly just or a year's worth of home games.

Direct TV is killing me!!!!!!! Sioux hockey is the only reason I pay for the premier package. I think I may switch to Comcast here in Colorado they have FCS as a regular channel.

Same problem here - we get the Directv premier pkg only for Sioux games - I don't think Comcast is an option for us where we live tho. Looks like another weekend of watching the webcast - which is way better than nothing - I won't complain too loud.

This would suck. Picked up DirectTV over Comcast in Nov and added the SportsPack to get the Sioux games. Would not be happy to be blacked out again this weekend. Noticed last weekend that DirectTV had no programming on the channels they would normally show the Sioux games. So I suppose that speaks to the "bandwith" argument.

Maybe we all need to complain to DirectTV.