SiouxSports.com Forum

The Sanctions and Punishments Have Arrived

The Sicatoka

This sentence is a little disturbing. Is the University going to have to tell people to refrain from wearing Sioux garb or is this just the athletes and the associated school party?

I don't see how they could do anything about the people attending the games. This is all about the official traveling party.

This sentence is a little disturbing. Is the University going to have to tell people to refrain from wearing Sioux garb or is this just the athletes and the associated school party?

Yeah good luck with that one, they can take the nickname and logo off of the jersey's but they can't tell people/Fans that they can't wear the Sioux jersey...

I have a scan of the original letter posted on my blog as well.

That letter is the most offensive yet (total garbage making things up) & to me would inspire Spirit Lake to fight even harder

What is made up? The letter is a restatement of the same thing the NCAA has been saying since the settlement was signed.

North Dakota Fighting Sioux Could Face NCAA Sanction For Controversial Name, Logo

"You ask them to ... work hard, and (they've) had a great season, and then be told, `Hey, regardless of what you do, you're going on the road.' That kind of stinks," coach Brian Idalski said at a news conference in Grand Forks.

Brian Faison, the university's athletic director, said the letter should help convince skeptics of the reality of NCAA sanctions.

""We knew going in that this was a possibility, but it's in black and white now," Faison said. "It's very clear what will happen."

If only.

Well then what are we going to talk about....if we can say well you expected this and already knew about this when the student athlete decides to still go to UND.

We won't be able to complain:

So, anyone care to look our women's hockey players in the eyes and tell them not being able to host a regional is a "small sacrifice?"

FYI, as the women sit they won't host a playoff game, regardless. Barely make the tournament as they are sitting 7th in the PairWise.

Well then what are we going to talk about....if we can say well you expected this and already knew about this when the student athlete decides to still go to UND.

FYI, as the women sit they won't host a playoff game regardless. Barely make the tournament as they are sitting 7th in the PairWise.

The students that decide to attend UND will just be happy to get a scholarship. They won't be real worried about going to the playoffs.

The women's position could change dramatically this weekend. They could finish as high as 4th (I don't know if they can get to 3rd) or they may miss the playoffs altogether. Or they could end up in 6th or 7th and naturally go on the road. It just depends on how they perform this weekend.

FYI, as the women sit they won't host a playoff game, regardless. Barely make the tournament as they are sitting 7th in the PairWise.

The FB team has workouts at 6:00 AM tomorrow morning much like they do every day of the offseason. I'd imagine that the women's hockey team has as rigorous a workout/ practice schedule as the FB team. If you really believe this crap you just wrote, then I challenge you to go to a workout/ practice session and look those athletes in the eye to tell them that it doesn't matter that they need to go on the road for any future playoff games. If you don't have the balls to do this then quite frankly you're a coward who should STFU regarding this issue. It's as simple as that.

• Upvote 2

Woman's hockey isn't on neutral ice for the first round. It is held at the homes of the top 4 seeds. Unless one of them is UND, then it will be held at the homes of the other 3 of the top 4 seeds and the home of the UND opponent. Doesn't that sound fair after all of their hard work?

What I meant about neutral ice is that they take everything off the ice and boards and plaster NCAA on everything. They'd take anything painted, aka the Sioux head on the ice, to make it neutral for both teams. Like the year of the fantastic Holy Cross regional. :D

I see this headed for an injunction very soon. As in sooner or later a judge will issue a decree stating the NCAA can not do anything with an adverse effect untill the lawsuits are settled. I wasn't thinking this would be the way it was handled until I started to think how much monetary damage could be done to the university if such threats as contained in the letter were acts upon.

Think about it, a player gives a post game or pregame interview in the same lucky reebok undershirt they have worn for the year, that just happens to have the logo on it, and the team is sent home they forfeit and have to pay for the other teams expenses??,!!

That has injunction written all over it.

The FB team has workouts at 6:00 AM tomorrow morning much like they do every day of the offseason. I'd imagine that the women's hockey team has as rigorous a workout/ practice schedule as the FB team. If you really believe this crap you just wrote, then I challenge you to go to a workout/ practice session and look those athletes in the eye to tell them that it doesn't matter that they need to go on the road for any future playoff games. If you don't have the balls to do this then quite frankly you're a coward who should STFU regarding this issue. It's as simple as that.

You want me to go talk to the football team?.... Really? Cause that would prove to a guy on a message board, I am not a coward? And if I am a coward, I can no longer voice my opinions cause they might be different than yours (or others)?

"Hey guys, congrats on the hard work, but did you know that you won't be able to host a home playoff game...the NCAA won't allow it if UND is the Fighting Sioux. And" I don't think it matters"...You are a great team. You can KICK BUTT on the road and show the WORLD how great you are.....Do any of you guys wanna transfer before the season starts, knowing their will be no home playoff games??.....That is if you suckers are good enough to make!!! "

I am a coward. You got me, but believe me after 8 years here, I doubt I will STFU.

PS. I never said it "didn't matter." Try understanding what I wrote...for the second time. And try and not let your emotions get in the way.

peace.

You want me to go talk to the football team?.... Really? Cause that would prove to a guy on a message board, I am not a coward? And if I am a coward, I can no longer voice my opinions cause they might be different than yours (or others)?

I am a coward. You got me, but believe me after 8 years here, I doubt I will STFU.

PS. I never said it "didn't matter." Try understanding what I wrote...for the second time. And try and not let your emotions get in the way.

peace.

Take your own advice.

At this point what is in the best interest of the University?

Don't let your emotions get in the way!

• Upvote 2

Or better yet. Temporarily retire the nickname so the NCAA can unclench their butt cheeks, and then when everything gets cleared up, farve the name back to reality.

Are you f$!%ing serious?!? This is what UND (and the state, minus Al Carlson, with the repeal law) attempted to do!! Then a bunch of retards idiots got together with petitions and screwed up the entire process.

Based on your comments, you obviously live in a box. You have no idea what has happened in the last 7 years (or 1 year, for that matter) and you have no clue as to how the sanctions will harm UND.

Are you f$!%ing serious?!? This is what UND (and the state, minus Al Carlson, with the repeal law) attempted to do!! Then a bunch of retards idiots got together with petitions and screwed up the entire process.

Based on your comments, you obviously live in a box. You have no idea what has happened in the last 7 years (or 1 year, for that matter) and you have no clue as to how the sanctions will harm UND.

If you had common sense you would see that everything seems to keep repeating itself. Instead of them sending a letter restating the sanctions to the school, as someone mentioned, send the letter to the state where all the control is. I keep hearing the same stuff, maybe in different context, over and over, so why not repeat what I said. Unclench the butt cheeks sir.

So now your calling native americans idiots? Not wise.

• Upvote 1

ESPN wants to interview Frank Black Cloud. The NCAA is about to get a lot of bad publicity. They are going to be sorry they messed with the Fighting Sioux. The NCAA is going to go down in flames, and it will be the most satisfying victory in the history of the Fighting Sioux. I get will 1000 times more pleasure out of this victory than any of the ones ever won on the ice or playing field.

Bahahaha! You really think the NC$$ cares about "bad publicity"? "Outside the Lines" interviewed Dean Blais about this issue years ago. The New York Times, of all places, regularly discusses this issue, and at least one of its columnists regularly excoriates the NC$$ for a variety of reasons. What's happened? Nothing. You think an interview with Frank Black Cloud representing some poor tribe in flyover country is going to change their minds?

This has gotten so far out of hand. It's to the point I wish Kelley and Faison would simply ignore the law and stop using the name. Everyone has admitted there is no penalty. I say retire it and fight it out in the courts rather then put up with the sanctions and bad press that seem to keep piling on.

• Upvote 3

This has gotten so far out of hand. It's to the point I wish Kelley and Faison would simply ignore the law and stop using the name. Everyone has admitted there is no penalty. I say retire it and fight it out in the courts rather then put up with the sanctions and bad press that seem to keep piling on.

I was thinking the same thing..what is Carlson going to do force Kelley and Faison to use it. Look at the damage that jackhole has caused the school. I think UND should sue Carlson when this is over. Look at the potential recruits that chose other schools than UND because of the name, and now no hosting playoffs and loss of events thats money lost isn't that punitive damages?