SiouxSports.com Forum

The Sanctions and Punishments Have Arrived

The Sicatoka

From UND SID Jayson Hajdu's Twitter feed:

Just found out our invitation to a track and field meet at the Univ. of Iowa in March has been rescinded, due to resumption of nickname use.

General by UNDSID on Feb 21, 2012 11:19:56 AM

First substantial proof that schools aren't threatening. They are acting.

Same link as Philly:

The developments in Iowa follow earlier consequences of the nickname issue reported by the UND athletic department, including loss of a planned home-and-home basketball series with Iowa and a softball series that had been scheduled this spring with Wisconsin.

Iowa, Wisconsin, and Minnesota---Three schools with no history against UND outside of hockey. I'd rather have UND keep playing Kansas than any of those schools.

But, I did just find out that UND is playing the University of Iowa in soccer this fall. http://www.grandforksherald.com/event/article/id/230088/

It'll be interesting to see how may times the words "Iowa", "Minnesota", and "Wisconsin" are posted in this thread before another handful of schools jump on board with the NCAA. Or will it be this troika of Big Ten schools that continually gets regurgitated?

It'll be interesting to see how may times the words "Iowa", "Minnesota", and "Wisconsin" are posted in this thread before another handful of schools jump on board with the NCAA. Or will it be this troika of Big Ten schools that continually gets regurgitated?

Isn't that enough for you? Would you rather see the other 8-9 schools from the B1G jump in too? Maybe the Big 12 or Big East will jump on at some point, let alone the BSC. And I'd bet Iowa will probably pull that soccer match before long as well.

But, I did just find out that UND is playing the University of Iowa in soccer this fall. http://www.grandfork...icle/id/230088/

Yes, because that soccer contract was signed in January when UND had dropped the Fighting Sioux moniker.

Can the message be any clearer?

PS - As the soccer date gets closer and if the moniker stays in place I'm betting the soccer match gets cancelled too.

O’Keefe also cites policies in place at Minnesota, Wisconsin and Iowa, schools “that won’t allow their athletic teams to compete with schools under NCAA sanctions due to American Indian imagery.”

Each of those institutions “reiterated this in formal terms this week,” he writes, ...

http://mobile.grandforksherald.com/page/article/id/229087/

What do you think "reiterated this in formal terms" means? It means they sent letters (not phone calls) explaining their plans to void contracts, revoke invitations, and follow the NCAA "best practices" scheduling policy.

I'm simply amazed that UND has been able to survive its D-1 transition without playing Wisconsin, Iowa, and Minnesota. How on Earth will the athletic program continue to survive when it can't play these three programs that it has never played before?

Nice spin job by the GF Herald again. A big headline announcing that Iowa, a school who has declined to play UND since 2005, won't let UND participate in its track meet. I thought headlines were for news. Wouldn't the bigger story be that Iowa is now competiting against UND in soccer next fall? Yes, indeed it is.

And Scott.... that is enough for me. I have heard enought about Iowa, Wisconsin, and Minnesota. I'll leave the doomsday scenarios to you. Nothing you said in your prior post has happened. It would be like me saying, what would happen if Iowa changed course and chose to play UND in a sport like soccer? Oh wait, nevermind, Iowa is playing UND in soccer.

I'm simply amazed that UND has been able to survive its D-1 transition without playing Wisconsin, Iowa, and Minnesota. How on Earth will the athletic program continue to survive when it can't play these three programs that it has never played before?

The athletic program hasn't played Wisconsin and Minnesota? Then who were the Lamoureuxs (Monique, Jocelyn, and Mario) playing this year? Nice try.

And Benny, I thought you'd have more respect for UND's volleyball and tennis programs. Without the Big Sky Conference, they're toast.

And Scott.... that is enough for me. I have heard enought about Iowa, Wisconsin, and Minnesota. I'll leave the doomsday scenarios to you. Nothing you said in your prior post has happened. It would be like me saying, what would happen if Iowa changed course and chose to play UND in a sport like soccer? Oh wait, nevermind, Iowa is playing UND in soccer.

So when/if those scenarios come to pass, are you still going to be around here, or will you slink back into the woodwork? And we'll talk about soccer, not that I ever do, when/if Iowa does play UND since there's plenty of time for them to pull that deal. I take it proactive thinking isn't really your forte.

I'm simply amazed that UND has been able to survive its D-1 transition without playing Wisconsin, Iowa, and Minnesota. How on Earth will the athletic program continue to survive when it can't play these three programs that it has never played before? Nice spin job by the GF Herald again. A big headline announcing that Iowa, a school who has declined to play UND since 2005, won't let UND participate in its track meet. I thought headlines were for news. Wouldn't the bigger story be that Iowa is now competiting against UND in soccer next fall? Yes, indeed it is. And Scott.... that is enough for me. I have heard enought about Iowa, Wisconsin, and Minnesota. I'll leave the doomsday scenarios to you. Nothing you said in your prior post has happened. It would be like me saying, what would happen if Iowa changed course and chose to play UND in a sport like soccer? Oh wait, nevermind, Iowa is playing UND in soccer.

Sure, now it is a few schools with big names, but how many other schools will follow suit? How many schools will say that our policy is to follow the NCAA standards and not schedule UND? How many conferences will make that a conference rule? Wasn't there a rumor a while back that SDSU was thinking about not scheduling UND? The NCAA and the college administration hierarchy is filled with like-minded people.

Maybe UND should just keep the name and find out how far that will go. UND would be on an island with no land in sight from any direction.

The athletic program hasn't played Wisconsin and Minnesota? Then who were the Lamoureuxs (Monique, Jocelyn, and Mario) playing this year? Nice try.

And Benny, I thought you'd have more respect for UND's volleyball and tennis programs. Without the Big Sky Conference, they're toast.

"Iowa, Wisconsin, and Minnesota---Three schools with no history against UND outside of hockey." I said that an hour ago; I figured you had read that.

As for the other programs, yes they'd probably be "toast" without a conference. But like I've constantly said, the most important issue is conference affilitation, not what Iowa, Wisconsin, and Minnesota chose to do. The Big Sky season starts in a couple of months. Why haven't they removed UND yet? What are they waiting for? Do they want to wait until summer to take action so that the schools will have to face tight deadlines for rescheduling since UND would be out of the picture? Fat chance. Maybe Fullerton is waiting until the Big Sky has a "super major concern" with the nickname, rather than the simple "concern" and "major concern", which the conference currently has.

UND will not be able to continue as a Division 1 school as long as they are known as the Fighting Sioux. With NDSU, USD and SDSU all Division 1 schools, how can you justify a University falling behind because of a nickname? The consequences have started and the student athletes are paying the price for fools and their petitions!

• Upvote 2

So when/if those scenarios come to pass, are you still going to be around here, or will you slink back into the woodwork? And we'll talk about soccer, not that I ever do, when/if Iowa does play UND since there's plenty of time for them to pull that deal. I take it proactive thinking isn't really your forte.

So when/if those scenarios don't occur . . . You do realize that speculation goes both ways, right? Let's talk facts. We know where Wisconsin, Iowa, and Minnesota currently sit. We have for several years. This isn't new and EVERYONE realizes it. It's time for you all to move on from your anectodal stories about these three schools.

So what other schools have adopted policies like Minnesota, Wisconsin, and Iowa over the last seven years? How many of the other 360 D-1 institutions won't be playing UND? For everyone's benefit, please don't use the response, "But if other schools follow suit..... what happens if other programs . . .."

For starters, let's see if ScottM can name three more.

So when/if those scenarios don't occur . . . You do realize that speculation goes both ways, right? Let's talk facts. We know where Wisconsin, Iowa, and Minnesota currently sit. We have for several years. This isn't new and EVERYONE realizes it. It's time for you all to move on from your anectodal stories about these three schools.

So what other schools have adopted policies like Minnesota, Wisconsin, and Iowa over the last seven years? How many of the other 360 D-1 institutions won't be playing UND? For everyone's benefit, please don't use the response, "But if other schools follow suit..... what happens if other programs . . .."

For starters, let's see if ScottM can name three more.

If three "name" schools, including two longtime hockey rivals, refusing to play UND, doesn't resonate through your thick skuill, I'm not sure what else will. Then again, you, like some many others from the "save the Sioux moniker at any cost" crowd probably have no real affinity for UND itself. How about you devise some fillers for the various UND schedules that are already taking hits? And Alcorn State doesn't count, and neither does Hibbing Community College.

• Upvote 1