SiouxSports.com Forum

The Sanctions and Punishments Have Arrived

The Sicatoka

No, if they ignore the law, people will continue to battle FOR the law because they won't see the damages that would result in the long run. UND needs to comply with the law now, feel the pain the short term so that people understand the consequences, and then the matter can finally be put to rest once and for all.

I was thinking the same thing..what is Carlson going to do force Kelley and Faison to use it. Look at the damage that jackhole has caused the school. I think UND should sue Carlson when this is over. Look at the potential recruits that chose other schools than UND because of the name, and now no hosting playoffs and loss of events thats money lost isn't that punitive damages?

Can't really sue Clueless Al over this mess, but it would be nice if his constituents booted his dumb ass out of office this fall. You have to wonder if he really understood how his attempt to usurp the state constitution could blow up in his face ... :whistling:

Can't really sue Clueless Al over this mess, but it would be nice if his constituents booted his dumb ass out of office this fall. You have to wonder if he really understood how his attempt to usurp the state constitution could blow up in his face ... :whistling:

That could be a possibility.

I don't think that Al is up for election this year. When I did a quick search over the weekend it looks like his district had elections 2 years ago, and both houses of the North Dakota legislature are now 4 year terms. Maybe someone in his district would like to start a recall.

He had nothing to lose and a lot to gain with his plan. He was not alone in this. He had the support of a bunch of RWNs who want even more power. Think about it for a minute. If he wins the control over the universities that he and his cohorts get that they do not have now. If he loses the status qou exists. Heads he wins and tails you lose.

He had nothing to lose and a lot to gain with his plan. He was not alone in this. He had the support of a bunch of RWNs who want even more power. Think about it for a minute. If he wins the control over the universities that he and his cohorts get that they do not have now. If he loses the status qou exists. Heads he wins and tails you lose.

Which is why I think he dreads this mess ending up in front of the North Dakota Supreme Court, especially when the weight of their own decisions favor the Board. He's created a constitutional crisis, and the final arbiters can't be glad-handed or browbeat in the halls of the capitol. I do hope voters remember this, or at least start a serious recall effort.

Unless he loses his seat because of the effort. It wouldn't be the first time that a politician lost their seat because they pushed the envelope too far. But that is far from a given in a very conservative district, and it sounds like he lives in a conservative district.

If only more people would fight for things instead of rolling over in their graves....I'm more and more annoyed with fighting irish these days and id like to rally a few of us irish catholics together to have their mascot changed. I think six would be efficient enough to get the job done. :/

• Upvote 1

It's not that anybody thinks the NCAA will reconsider, it's that we think there will come a time when they will have no other choice but to back off. What they're doing is illegal, and will be proven so in a court of law. Spirit Lake is going to do to the NCAA what Georgia Tech did to Cumberland. Wait and see, and when the time comes get in line to hear me say "I TOLD YOU SO!!!"

Dave,

What they do is not illegal. There is no law preventing them from doing what they do. Their authority has been challenged in courts before and the courts decided in their favor. The NCAA is not a government entity. It is a private organization that makes their own rules. We don't like the rules and I understand that you think this is so important to some that we should drop athletics rather than play by their rules, but stick to the facts. What they do is not illegal.

Dave,

What they do is not illegal. There is no law preventing them from doing what they do. Their authority has been challenged in courts before and the courts decided in their favor. The NCAA is not a government entity. It is a private organization that makes their own rules. We don't like the rules and I understand that you think this is so important to some that we should drop athletics rather than play by their rules, but stick to the facts. What they do is not illegal.

unconstitutional is the better word.
  • Upvote 1

If only more people would fight for things instead of rolling over in their graves....I'm more and more annoyed with fighting irish these days and id like to rally a few of us irish catholics together to have their mascot changed. I think six would be efficient enough to get the job done. :/

As I said yesterday, the fight between UND and the NCAA ended in 2007 with a settlement agreement. The NCAA isn't doing anything that wasn't outlined in that agreement. You can't retry the case just because you don't like the results.

Go ahead and fight the Notre Dame nickname and logo. I think it will take more than 6 people since it took a lot more than 6 people to get movement on Native American nicknames and logos. You probably don't know this, but there are lists of organizations that have come out against all NA nicknames and logos, including 15 tribes in the Great Plains area. That's all the tribes other than Spirit Lake. But rally all the people you can against the Fighting Irish. Maybe, if you get enough, it might even make someone notice. And if you can get movement on that issue it might make a difference with the NCAA. I would bet big money against you actually getting any results, but I say go for it.

Since they win most of their lawsuits, I'm pretty sure it isn't unconstitutional. They are a PRIVATE organization, so different laws and standards apply than if they were part of the government.

And yes I kind of agree with this. But peoples rights are peoples rights and it shouldn't matter what organization you are

Ummm going against the rights of native americans who want the name to stay as they feel its an honor. Ignoring them. And not obeying what the overall population wants. Is that enough?

State the law and/or case that says that what the NC$$ is doing is "unconstitutional". I'll wait ... :whistling:

Ummm going against the rights of native americans who want the name to stay as they feel its an honor. Ignoring them. And not obeying what the overall population wants. Is that enough?

Why do you feel they are legally and constitutionally obligated to do these things? Just because somebody likes something doesn't mean you are required to do it. There are plenty of TV shows that I've liked that have gotten cancelled. Were the networks being unconstitutional when they cancelled them?

The tribes had an opportunity a few years ago to speak up and be heard about how honored they were by the name. They chose not to and the timeframe for the agreement past. The NCAA is following an agreement that was in place.