SiouxSports.com Forum

The Sanctions and Punishments Have Arrived

The Sicatoka

I am simply supporting the majority of the sioux tribe who want to keep their believed to be honored name. Until that changes or goes away, I know how I will vote when it shows up on the ballot
So you will be voting against the University of North Dakota, against the student-athletes that make up the teams, against the coaches that lead those teams, and against the ability for those teams to compete effectively.

So you will be voting against the University of North Dakota, against the student-athletes that make up the teams, against the coaches that lead those teams, and against the ability for those teams to compete effectively.

Nah, he's just a "fan" of the Sioux moniker. He doesn't give a damn about the school or its athletes, like a few others around here ...

Bahahaha! You really think the NC$$ cares about "bad publicity"? "Outside the Lines" interviewed Dean Blais about this issue years ago. The New York Times, of all places, regularly discusses this issue, and at least one of its columnists regularly excoriates the NC$$ for a variety of reasons. What's happened? Nothing. You think an interview with Frank Black Cloud representing some poor tribe in flyover country is going to change their minds?

It can't hurt.

I would love his thoughts to - but I think he knew Ralph pretty good & was very respectful of his wishes

There are people that also knew Ralph that think he would look at the situation differently under the current conditions. He thanked UND for the education he received, and talked about how that helped him in his success. He very much loved the nickname, but he also loved the University and wouldn't want it damaged.

But he would of fought to the end to save the name

The people I've talked to don't think he would have done anything to damage the University. So, if he thought that fighting to the end was going to do damage, he probably wouldn't have done that. I was told that he predicted what the NCAA was going to do and even tried to figure out a way to help UND prepare for the issue. They either couldn't or wouldn't do what he recommended.

I will follow that up by saying the people I've talked to, while they knew Ralph pretty well, are not positive what his position would have been. They think they know, but they admit that they aren't positive. So I'm not sure how anyone that didn't know him could possibly know exactly what he would have said or done.

Then, pray tell, why hasn't Betty Engelstad and the rest of her family came out in support of the nuclear option nickname only stance?

I'll tell you why... Because they would rather see UND athletics compete at the highest level possible than keep the nickname and destroy the athletic department.

It's a no-brainer. (For people with brains.)

• Upvote 2

The people I've talked to don't think he would have done anything to damage the University. So, if he thought that fighting to the end was going to do damage, he probably wouldn't have done that. I was told that he predicted what the NCAA was going to do and even tried to figure out a way to help UND prepare for the issue. They either couldn't or wouldn't do what he recommended.

Well obviously those people don't know much as he said he would basically burn the building down before he'd change anything. Hence the billion sioux heads in it, but that news is ancient news now. Whether he would've decided to change the name but do nothing with The Ralph, thats a whole different argument.

Well obviously those people don't know much as he said he would basically burn the building down before he'd change anything. Hence the billion sioux heads in it, but that news is ancient news now. Whether he would've decided to change the name but do nothing with The Ralph, thats a whole different argument.

I know the position he took during the construction, and the people I have talked to knew him during construction and after. He had a pretty good idea that he could get his way with UND and the state of North Dakota. But he also knew that if the NCAA got involved it would be a different story. My guess is that he would have worked hard to keep as much of the building as it is, but from my conversations I believe that he would have done what was needed for the school.

At what point will you accept that it is "the end", we've lost and that the name has to go? The rest of us have resigned ourselves to the fact that we've reached the end and it's time to move on from the nickname.

Which is why I think he dreads this mess ending up in front of the North Dakota Supreme Court, especially when the weight of their own decisions favor the Board. He's created a constitutional crisis, and the final arbiters can't be glad-handed or browbeat in the halls of the capitol. I do hope voters remember this, or at least start a serious recall effort.

I do not think he dreads it at all. He knew all along this is where it would end up, right where he wanted it to. Either he wins or loses his test case he still loses nothing. He is a sneaky little weasel to create this. I wonder if he had a consultation with Karl Rove the little turd blossom himself. Scott Hennen could have hooked him up.