SiouxSports.com Forum

The Sanctions and Punishments Have Arrived

The Sicatoka

Have 50% of Sioux Natives come out and tell me the name should go, then I'll agree with a name change. But that'll never happen. Why listen to the people who matter most right now? Interesting. I applaud the NCAA and the spineless people of America.

Who matters most right now? The correct answer is: the athletes. Since changing, or not changing, the name affects them more than anybody else, the school should do what is best for them. Since changing the name is what is best for them, the athletic department, and the school as a whole, we should changing the nickname. It's not about offending Native American's anymore. It's about what won't cause our athletic department to fail.

• Upvote 3

Have 50% of Sioux Natives come out and tell me the name should go, then I'll agree with a name change. But that'll never happen. Why listen to the people who matter most right now? Interesting. I applaud the NCAA and the spineless people of America.

Feel free to write the NC$$ and express your outrage. I'm sure they'll listen to you too.

Where will they find you to tell you?? (I doubt that would even make a difference). The people who matter most with regards to the NCAA sanctions are the UND athletes, coaches, students, boosters, fans, University employees, Alumni and the Grand Forks and N.Dak. communities. Taht does include our reservations, but they don't have the biggest stake in this issue and they didn't care enough about it to speak out when in 2005 they could have stated their support and we would not be sanctioned. There was nothing you or I could have done because the NCAA makes the rules.This issue is about the name for the athletic teams. No more and no less. Why would you conclude someone would be spineless because they don't wish to spend time and resources screwing a dead horse (or pissing into the wind if you prefer)? Give us an opponent and something on the line and most of us will fight. Who do you wish to fight? The NCAA says they are not going to fight, they are going to declare themselves rulers and make the rules. No one to fight! (Not sure most of us care to be called spineless by people who probably have never had to lay it on the line when it counted).
  • Upvote 4

The people, I guess, that matter most are the ones whos pocket books are effected the most. Or thats how it works these days. See it how you want but the name will stay, with at most, small temporary sanctions.

Really? The sanctions have a "Sunset provision"? Where did you hear that? SAB? Your local dive bar?

And how do you consider them "small sanctions" when UND athletes are already being "uninvited" to athletic events, e.g., the Iowa track meet?

• Upvote 1

Not sure how you can even have an opinion when you are so misinformed. The Great West is disbanding. Who is the dumbass who tells you stupid stuff like the sanctions are temporary? Anyone who is smart enough to use a computer should be smarter than that. The only people I can say "OK I disagree but you are entitiled to that opinion", are those who have a clear understanding of the facts and that UND would need to move to the NAIA to have any intercollegiate athletics and still think calling our athletic teams the Fighting Sioux is more important.They don't care if our hockey team sinks to a level of those teams who make the playoffs every 25 years and our other athletic teams play Dickinson State, Minot State, or Jamestown College. If you don't get that, then you shouldn't have forged an opinion quite yet. Get the facts first. Losing Track Meets, Home hockey playoffs for women or losing recruits in all sports are not small. Ask any coach across the country if they can afford to have a couple of down recruiting years and everyone of them will tell you they can't. Don't be so goofy!

• Upvote 2

No, the name doesn't stay. We are talking about athletic teams, not the rights of the oppressed around the world. If UND is to remain one of the finest institutions of higher education in the upper midwest, we also benefit from quality atheltic and music programs. If we don't have a conference for virtually all sports and we handicap hockey, then we are placing barriers to the success of the programs. The name is irrelevant to that success and always has been. It has been a big part of what we as athletes and fans identify with but the traditions and the energy from the fans is about the teams, players and our ability as fans to identify with their successes or even failures. we will still be able to do that after the name is gone. We will still wear whatever jersey or logo we wish. The enemy is not UND, the SBoHE, or for that matter even most of those who prefer to keep the name. It is the NCAA and we are in their yard playing with their ball and we play by their rules. The vast majority of UND fans and alumni when they are given the facts, see this and are concerned that too many well meaning people, led by those who have strong but misguided convictions will lead to a disaster. With regards to the rights of our Native American friends, they didnt' move on the issue when it would have taken only one tribe, nor in the three years they had after the NCAA gave us a temporary reprieve. They have sat on the sidelines until their only recourse is litigation. They need to leave UND uot of it. I hope they succeed agaisnt the NCAA but the courts have ruled over the years that the NCAA is a private club and you don't ahve to belong. Play by thier rules or join the NAIA. Anyone who thinks hockey as we know it will survive NCAA sanctions is fooling themselves. That is OK just don't try and fool others with unfounded statements. Go Sioux! Easy to still say, the NCAA can't stop any of us from our right to free speech. I will wear my Sioux logos this weekend at the hockey games. Won't matter to our team or the NCAA. Just isn't a priority to our teams. It is more so an issue with our hockey franternity because of the gratitude we all have for the Englestad family and their gifts to UND. The arena next door for BB and VB is also a gift from the Englestad family.

Great post...While I'll miss the nickname, the NCAA has virtually all the power. I treasure UND for everything else it provides in addition to athletics--namely a great education, music, drama and everything else associated with a world-class university. Yes, the NCAA has stumbled and bumbled badly. Nevertheless, it's a private club. It makes the rules and can change them and reverse course as it whimsically desires. What is one to do in opposition to something that makes the rules, denies the appeal and then denies a second appeal. It appears the NCAA itself is the "court of last appeals," we know how that is working out.

Hence the smiley face at the end of my post. As everyone else here I state an opinion and right now, I don't see anything changing in regards to the nickname and I SIMPLY am following and am supportive of the sioux tribe that is trying to keep their name, something their ancestors told the university to do. whatever happens happens, but I plan on staying on the good side, and winning this battle.

Hence the smiley face at the end of my post. As everyone else here I state an opinion and right now, I don't see anything changing in regards to the nickname and I SIMPLY am following and am supportive of the sioux tribe that is trying to keep their name, something their ancestors told the university to do. whatever happens happens, but I plan on staying on the good side, and winning this battle.

The battle between UND and the NCAA is done. They signed a settlement agreement in 2007. The UND side includes the State Board of Higher Education and the state of North Dakota. There isn't any more battle between North Dakota and the NCAA.

Spirit Lake is trying to get a battle with the NCAA. There may or may not be a battle that actually happens. And if it happens it will probably take several years at a minimum. You can be supportive of the Spirit Lake efforts, but forcing UND to use the nickname during the process DOES NOT help Spirit Lake, while it WILL hurt UND. The first signs have already been seen.

And the NCAA is closer to autocrat than democrat or republican.

• Upvote 1

per twitter.

sounds like und got a nasty letter from ncaa

stay tuned folks

If its about the name UND can't do anything about it, its a state law. Tell the NCAA to send the letter to the state address it personally to Al Carlson.

• Upvote 1

NCAA says sanctions in place against UND

The National Collegiate Athletic Association has implemented sanctions against the University of North Dakota’s athletic programs pertaining to its participation in championship events effective immediately.

In a Wednesday letter to UND Provost Paul LeBel, NCAA Chief Inclusion Officer Bernard Franklin states that the sanctions are in effect due to UND’s resumption of the the use of the Fighting Sioux nickname and imagery.

The sanctions state that no UND team may host an NCAA championship round. Also, those participating in any postseason competition may not have any “hostile or abusive racial/ethnic/national original references” during the competition. If the university doesn’t abide by this requirement, the NCAA may seek reimbursement from the university for expenses including travel and meals.

Clearly the NCAA is bluffing. :silly:

do they even have a clue what is going on in north dakota? I feel like they think we are simply ignoring them and continuing on with life while they are missing everything in the middle. Not that this is their duty but it is a little bigger than it seems on how they handle things. Ncaa for president. I'm writing them on the ballot without a doubt as they can do anything.

So don't have home playoffs for a year, two at worst. Get this law, voting, nickname acceptance ect. out of the way and things will plane out. two years is nothing compared to the decades of continuing tradition. 80) simple! Only kidding.

do they even have a clue what is going on in north dakota? I feel like they think we are simply ignoring them and continuing on with life while they are missing everything in the middle. Not that this is their duty but it is a little bigger than it seems on how they handle things. Ncaa for president. I'm writing them on the ballot without a doubt as they can do anything.

They don't care what's going on in North Dakota. And they don't have to. They will deal with the lawsuit when and if they have to; unless their motion to dismiss is successful, in which case it would go away soon. But the whole thing about putting the nickname into North Dakota law, or putting it into the North Dakota Constitution, is meaningless to them. What is so hard to understand? UND and the NCAA have a legal settlement. The NCAA is following that settlement. Changing North Dakota law doesn't affect that settlement.
  • Upvote 2

They don't have the hostile name on their jerseys and regionals have to have neutral ice so the sioux head is gone on the ice anyways....

Woman's hockey isn't on neutral ice for the first round. It is held at the homes of the top 4 seeds. Unless one of them is UND, then it will be held at the homes of the other 3 of the top 4 seeds and the home of the UND opponent. Doesn't that sound fair after all of their hard work?