SiouxSports.com Forum

The Sanctions and Punishments Have Arrived

The Sicatoka

...says the poster with the user name "fightingsioux4life"

4life... really? Oh, the irony of that statement coming from somebody with that user name. It would be hilarious if it wasn't so sad.

I've always thought that was a pretty darn good user name and I've always interpreted it to mean that he/she will always hold the Fighting Sioux nickname in high regard in his/her heart even if it must go for the sake of the greater good. Just my read. Sure is a lot better than a bland handle like "Teeder"! :lol:

• Upvote 3

Dear Cratter,

If the nickname and logo are more important to you than the University of North Dakota and it's student-athletes, don't go to the games anymore, don't support the institution anymore and get the heck off of this forum while you are at it! :angry:

Problem solved.

Why are you calling me out? Did I personally address you? No, not in the slightest.

Did I ever once mention the nickname and logo are more important to me than UND? No.

Wow. I really touched a nerve with some common sense stuff here.

I will always support UND no matter what they are called, but thanks for asking friend.

You wanna know about me: I graduated from UND. Became a Sioux fan since '97. Been to the last five four Frozen Fours, etc, etc, etc.

And I currently live in a UND sanctioned building. (But it doesn't mean much....its just ones persons opinion....Mine opinion or yours doesn't weigh more than any one elses)

I can now see why Star left, the culture here is turning real sour. I didn't say anything "mean, offensive, or wrong" yet. I have been told to Shut the !@#$ Up and to "get the heck off this forum." in the past 24 hours based on one or two very nonchalant posts. Sad.

It is really sad to see all the in-fighting.

I've always thought that was a pretty darn good user name and I've always interpreted it to mean that he/she will always hold the Fighting Sioux nickname in high regard in his/her heart even if it must go for the sake of the greater good. Just my read. Sure is a lot better than a bland handle like "Teeder"! :lol:

I originally joined this message Board as "TheSiouxFan," back in 2001, I was the fourth ever member to join this site (excluding the Moderators).

But I thought it was self-righteous and the name would be changed eventually so I changed my name....another example of me being a Nostradamus. Check it out for yourself...I basically predicted the collapse of the Fighting Sioux.

I wrote this WAY before the NCAA came out with the Hostile and Abusive list.

Why are you calling me out? Did I personally address you? No, not in the slightest.

Did I ever once mention the nickname and logo are more important to me than UND? No.

Wow. I really touched a nerve with some common sense stuff here.

I will always support UND no matter what they are called, but thanks for asking friend.

You wanna know about me: I graduated from UND. Became a Sioux fan since '97. Been to the last five four Frozen Fours, etc, etc, etc.

And I currently live in a UND sanctioned building. (But it doesn't mean much....its just ones persons opinion....Mine opinion or yours doesn't weigh more than any one elses)

I can now see why Star left, the culture here is turning real sour. I didn't say anything "mean, offensive, or wrong" yet. I have been told to Shut the !@#$ Up and to "get the heck off this forum."

It is really sad to see all the in-fighting.

I am calling you out because of your post telling prospective student-athletes that if they don't like competing under crippling NCAA sanctions, they can go to another school. The sad fact is, that is what they will do. The best athletes will go elsewhere (NDSU for example) and we'll get the leftovers. Just like Alcorn State, the poster child of the nickname-at-all-costs crowd. Your comment was irresponsible, reckless and is the type of thinking that threatens to destroy UND athletics forever and ever. That is not chicken-little thinking, that is the cold hard truth. Bottom line: Supporting the name and logo under sanctions is the same as supporting the destruction of UND athletics. That is the "common sense" position, not the one you espoused earlier. And if Star2City cannot accept those cold hard facts and truths, then he can just go over to SAB.com and have his "Big Sky is only bluffing" mentality affirmed over and over again. I am finished being Mr. Nice Guy to the nickname-at-all-costs crowd and their irresponsible, suicidal agenda. They must (and will be) called out for the damage they are doing to UND.

And I disagree with you that our opinions don't really matter. It is the nickname-at-all-costs crowd that pushed the Legislature to pass this stupid law in the first place. It is the nickname-at-all-costs crowd that signed those petitions to put the issue on the June ballot. And it is the nickname-at-all-costs crowd that will (assuming the ND Supreme Court doesn't strike the law down) vote to repeal the repeal and enshrine the name and logo into ND State Law, which would ruin UND athletics as we have known them, forever. So it darn well matters what people think. That is why I will continue fighting for a pragmatic, common-sense conclusion to this matter so that UND will continue to produce both on the field and in the classroom.

• Upvote 1

I am calling you out because of your post telling prospective student-athletes that if they don't like competing under crippling NCAA sanctions, they can go to another school. The sad fact is, that is what they will do. The best athletes will go elsewhere (NDSU for example) and we'll get the leftovers. Just like Alcorn State, the poster child of the nickname-at-all-costs crowd. Your comment was irresponsible, reckless and is the type of thinking that threatens to destroy UND athletics forever and ever. That is not chicken-little thinking, that is the cold hard truth. Bottom line: Supporting the name and logo under sanctions is the same as supporting the destruction of UND athletics. That is the "common sense" position, not the one you espoused earlier. And if Star2City cannot accept those cold hard facts and truths, then he can just go over to SAB.com and have his "Big Sky is only bluffing" mentality affirmed over and over again. I am finished being Mr. Nice Guy to the nickname-at-all-costs crowd and their irresponsible, suicidal agenda. They must (and will be) called out for the damage they are doing to UND.

And I disagree with you that our opinions don't really matter. It is the nickname-at-all-costs crowd that pushed the Legislature to pass this stupid law in the first place. It is the nickname-at-all-costs crowd that signed those petitions to put the issue on the June ballot. And it is the nickname-at-all-costs crowd that will (assuming the ND Supreme Court doesn't strike the law down) vote to repeal the repeal and enshrine the name and logo into ND State Law, which would ruin UND athletics as we have known them, forever. So it darn well matters what people think. That is why I will continue fighting for a pragmatic, common-sense conclusion to this matter so that UND will continue to produce both on the field and in the classroom.

You act like what some anynomous fan is posting on a website is going to change the course of the Sioux Nickname... :whistling:

Thanks for reaffirming to me that this isn't really about the "student athletes" its about what is best for the fans. The fans want to see winners...."at all costs." It's self motivation. I get it.

Ps. I didn't sign no petition, and I wont' vote in june july whenever it is....but I have LOTS of Power OVER others!!! Insert Austin Powers Laugh hehehehehe :bigsmile:

It might, depending on the angle taken in the piece. For instance, maybe they will also include interviews with opponents like Longie or Jesse Taken Alive or Tex Hall. Hall sure isn't afraid of a microphone.

You'll see it on ESPN.online.

You act like what some anynomous fan is posting on a website is going to change the course of the Sioux Nickname... :whistling:

Thanks for reaffirming to me that this isn't really about the "student athletes" its about what is best for the fans. The fans want to see winners...."at all costs." It's self motivation. I get it.

You are missing the point, as usual. What the voting public thinks will darn well impact how this thing ends up. The stakes are just too high to shut up and say nothing. And if you REALLY think that the best student-athletes don't care about winning games and championships, then you are ignorant and out to lunch on this entire issue. The best athletes will go to schools without crippling NCAA sanctions because it will give them the best all-around student-athlete experience. And we'll settle for the leftovers. And I NEVER said anything about winning at all costs; I believe in playing by the rules and winning fairly against our competitors, like I believe we always have done. Last time I checked, our student-athletes do their own homework.

As a supporter of UND, your ignorance on this issue is astounding (and very troubling). :sad:

• Upvote 1

You are missing the point, as usual. What the voting public thinks will darn well impact how this thing ends up. The stakes are just too high to shut up and say nothing. And if you REALLY think that the best student-athletes don't care about winning games and championships, then you are ignorant and out to lunch on this entire issue. The best athletes will go to schools without crippling NCAA sanctions because it will give them the best all-around student-athlete experience. And we'll settle for the leftovers. And I NEVER said anything about winning at all costs; I believe in playing by the rules and winning fairly against our competitors, like I believe we always have done. Last time I checked, our student-athletes do their own homework.

As a supporter of UND, your ignorance on this issue is astounding (and very troubling). :sad:

Again Did I say anthing above I disagree with? No. Yes the Best athletes will go to a different school. I get that. We agree on many things....my main point here is and always will be....oh never mind.

Have a good night.

You're as entitled as anybody else to voice an opinion, but WOW... you really come off a condescending know-it-all. FYI, just because you think something does not make it an absolute fact. Maybe, just maybe, you could be jumping to conclusions. Settle down and respect the fact that a lot of people care about fighting for what is right.

When some people on this forum run around and insist there will be no major consequences for living under NCAA sanctions (even as they are being handed down), I get a little ticked off. The sanctions are real and are already having a negative impact on UND. That is a fact; it is NOT "just an opinion". And I will not stop sounding the alarm on this; the stakes are just too high.

• Upvote 2

Again Did I say anthing above I disagree with? No. Yes the Best athletes will go to a different school. I get that. We agree on many things....my main point here is and always will be....oh never mind.

Have a good night.

I guess I am having trouble figuring out what your main point really is. Based on some of your comments on here, you don't seem overly concerned about the sanctions. But based on other comments, you are concerned about the sanctions. I believe you when you say you support UND, but I find you contradicting yourself on this.

I guess I am having trouble figuring out what your main point really is. Based on some of your comments on here, you don't seem overly concerned about the sanctions. But based on other comments, you are concerned about the sanctions. I believe you when you say you support UND, but I find you contradicting yourself on this.

Yes, I love UND athletics. My loyalty will NEVER wain! I am as proud as supporter as you and probably as anyone else (maybe not trying to judge)....but my persona online might be different than my real life persona....I love playing devils advocate.

• Upvote 2

Fine then, when some people on this forum run around and overstate what the potential consequences might be, I get a little ticked off. The SBoHE and the people who are currently in power at UND are trying to assist the NCAA in carrying out their PC driven hate crime against the Fighting Sioux nickname, and they are doing so by trying to scare you and others like you to give up the fight. Sadly, it is working. This is a fact, not "just an opinion". And I will not stop sounding the alarm on this; the stakes are just too high.

You mean when people on this forum say things similar to what Dale Lennon, Chris Mussman and Dave Hakstol are saying? That the sanctions will cause severe damage to the school and the athletic department? Or when we recognize that major schools have already cancelled games with UND, and that recruits have already decided that they don't want to go to UND because they don't want to go to a school on sanctions?

Your opinion is that the sanctions won't cause major issues for UND. People that actually deal with the program say that problems have already started, and the sanctions have barely started. They also say that the problems are going to get much worse. I will go with the FACTS that the coaches have talked about rather than the OPINIONS that you spout. Anyone that has read your posts know how much your opinions are worth.

• Upvote 1

Just a couple thoughts...

Sioux catch fire, go on a big run and are winning in the Nat'l Championship game until the NCAA catches someone in the band standing in the hallway talking to someone wearing a Fighting Sioux pin on their lapel and decide to award the championship to the other team...or...

Sioux finish 14 in the pairwise but somehohow Lakeland Dental Academy, Bozos Clown College and DeVry Institute of Technology get the nod over UND even though mathematically the Sioux are in...the NCAA's response is a confused look, upturned palms, and a "no comment"... :sad:

You're as entitled as anybody else to voice an opinion, but WOW... you really come off a condescending know-it-all. FYI, just because you think something does not make it an absolute fact. Maybe, just maybe, you could be jumping to conclusions. Settle down and respect the fact that a lot of people care about fighting for what is right.

And you are entitled to your own opinion.. Fighting for what it right? Really? Does UND have approval from the tirbes? No. How are you fighting for what is right? If any (1 or more) members of the sioux tribe feel marginalized by the use of this moniker, an argument could be made for not using it. Obviously you believe in continuing its use, but that doesn't make it right.

Yes, which is why the NCAA is breaking their own rule here. Spirit Lake voted in favor of keeping the name two years ago and Standing Rock granted their approval via a sacred peace pipe ceremony in 1969 that cannot be undone. Spirit Lake has filed a lawsuit against the NCAA for refusing to accept the fact that the tribes approve the name. To stop using the name would be an insult to the tribes.

Thanks for your selective history lesson. The SR vote is clearly No, regardless of what happened in 1969. Are you seriously arguing otherwise? If we can't agree that the SR vote is No, then I guess clear facts don't matter it's pointless to have a discussion with you. I'm not saying that a tribal council vote is an end all to the debate, but the tribal council vote is clearly No.

Just a couple thoughts...

Sioux catch fire, go on a big run and are winning in the Nat'l Championship game until the NCAA catches someone in the band standing in the hallway talking to someone wearing a Fighting Sioux pin on their lapel and decide to award the championship to the other team...or...

Sioux finish 14 in the pairwise but somehohow Lakeland Dental Academy, Bozos Clown College and DeVry Institute of Technology get the nod over UND even though mathematically the Sioux are in...the NCAA's response is a confused look, upturned palms, and a "no comment"... :sad:

couldn't agree more! HYPOCRITES!!

Yes. I said it once and I'll say it again : Standing Rock granted their approval via a sacred peace pipe ceremony in 1969 that cannot be undone.

The NCAA must recognize this, and the fact that they are choosing not to is what is going to cost them big-time in the Spirit Lake lawsuit.

The Tribal Council at Standing Rock, which is the ruling body of government on the reservation, disagrees with you. If they don't recognize the ceremony then no one else is going to recognize it either.

Yes. I said it once and I'll say it again : Standing Rock granted their approval via a sacred peace pipe ceremony in 1969 that cannot be undone.

The NCAA must recognize this, and the fact that they are choosing not to is what is going to cost them big-time in the Spirit Lake lawsuit.

Yeah, I, uh, went ahead and copied the link to this post of yours and send it to the NCAA.

I'm sure they'll get back to you shortly and agree with your position whole heartedly. Then, of course, the issue will be resolved.

Uh....thanks? :silly:

Let met get this straight. You're saying that, despite Standing Rock having officially repudiating their 1969 "peace pipe ceremony" multiple times, Spirit Lake can enforce it?

I'm no lawyer but that that's makes absolutely no sense.

Exactly!! Only white people are allowed to go back on their word!!! :crazy:

You anti-nickname people think you're so much better than those of us who support the nickname. Get off your high horse!!! Your values are different than ours. Not better, just different. Accept it.

Pro-University would probably be a much more accurate way to describe the majority of people.

• Upvote 3

You anti-nickname people think you're so much better than those of us who support the nickname. Get off your high horse!!! Your values are different than ours. Not better, just different. Accept it.

I attacked the comment, not the person making the comment. You, on the other hand, attacked the person making the comment.