SiouxSports.com Forum

The Sanctions and Punishments Have Arrived

The Sicatoka

To anyone that actually cares about the student-athletes and the Athletic Department, YES!!!

Which pretty much leaves out Fetch, DaveK, Luapsided, Al Carlson, Scott Hennen, Reed Soderstrom, Frank Black Cloud and other idiots pushing petitions, or thinking the NC$$ will reconsider the matter.

• Upvote 3

And it gets worse....

The NCAA says if the university keeps using the Fighting Sioux nickname and logo, it can't host post-season playoff games. The NCAA policy also bans school uniforms with the nickname and logo in post-season play.

Franklin's letter says if UND agrees to play in a post-season game, it could "forfeit competition" if the team, band or cheerleaders have uniforms with the nickname or logo.

Franklin says UND should "take measures to minimize or eliminate" the nickname and logo.

NCAA: Don't bring FIghting Sioux name to playoffs

"Cowards are usually seen to have avoided or refused to engage in a confrontation or struggle which has been deemed good or righteous by the wider culture in which they live. On a more mundane level, the label may be applied to those who are regarded as too frightened or overwhelmed to defend their rights or those of others from aggressors in their lives."

• Upvote 2

It's not that anybody thinks the NCAA will reconsider, it's that we think there will come a time when they will have no other choice but to back off. What they're doing is illegal, and will be proven so in a court of law. Spirit Lake is going to do to the NCAA what Georgia Tech did to Cumberland. Wait and see, and when the time comes get in line to hear me say "I TOLD YOU SO!!!"

How much money, of your own, would you like to put on that? You seem pretty fond of spending OPM on this issue, so maybe you're willing to bet some of the "boys on the board". I've read the court docs ... It's never a good sign when opposing counsel points out grammatical errors, wrong cites, etc. in SL's docs. Which says nothing of the NC$$'s legal grounds which seem pretty strong.

"Cowards are usually seen to have avoided or refused to engage in a confrontation or struggle which has been deemed good or righteous by the wider culture in which they live. On a more mundane level, the label may be applied to those who are regarded as too frightened or overwhelmed to defend their rights or those of others from aggressors in their lives."

...and with that a true coward hides behind a wikipedia quote thinking he is something more than he is.   That wiki quote also had nothing to say about reprecussions for trying to be "brave".All you nickname heroes have no comprehension of the collateral damage you are doing. Its all about your myopic, dated point of view.

It's not that anybody thinks the NCAA will reconsider, it's that we think there will come a time when they will have no other choice but to back off. What they're doing is illegal, and will be proven so in a court of law. Spirit Lake is going to do to the NCAA what Georgia Tech did to Cumberland. Wait and see, and when the time comes get in line to hear me say "I TOLD YOU SO!!!"

Now you think you're a lawyer? The settlement with UND is legal. It was even completed in a court of law. And the chances of Spirit Lake winning are slim. The only chance is to prove anti-trust, and the NCAA is very good at winning anti-trust cases. Plus, the court case with Spirit Lake is going to take years, the whole time UND will be under sanctions and will be suffering damage. Of course, you don't care about UND being damaged since you don't care about UND. You only care about keeping the name.

blah Blah BLAH

"Flogging a dead horse (alternatively beating a dead horse in some parts of the Anglophone world) is an idiom that means a particular request or line of conversation is already foreclosed or otherwise resolved, and any attempt to continue it is futile; or that to continue in any endeavour (physical, mental, etc.) is a waste of time as the outcome is already decided."

here is another one for you :whistling:

You really think we will change any minds on all this :silly:

• Upvote 1

blah Blah BLAH

"Flogging a dead horse (alternatively beating a dead horse in some parts of the Anglophone world) is an idiom that means a particular request or line of conversation is already foreclosed or otherwise resolved, and any attempt to continue it is futile; or that to continue in any endeavour (physical, mental, etc.) is a waste of time as the outcome is already decided."

here is another one for you :whistling:

You really think we will change any minds on all this :silly:

You, Dave and some of the others are beyond hope. But we will continue to repeat the truth because we need to make sure that even the casual readers of this board know what UND will be facing if this farce continues.
  • Upvote 1

Which pretty much leaves out Fetch, DaveK, Luapsided, Al Carlson, Scott Hennen, Reed Soderstrom, Frank Black Cloud and other idiots pushing petitions, or thinking the NC$$ will reconsider the matter.

And you forgot about about more than 70% of whites and 70% or more of the Sioux tribe. Just sayin.

• Upvote 1

Well said. You know its not even about the athletes, the University, the Alumni ect. Its what is right and wrong with the whole thing and how the NCAA is handling everything. Talking about poor sportsmanship!

• Upvote 1

ESPN wants to interview Frank Black Cloud. The NCAA is about to get a lot of bad publicity. They are going to be sorry they messed with the Fighting Sioux. The NCAA is going to go down in flames, and it will be the most satisfying victory in the history of the Fighting Sioux. I get will 1000 times more pleasure out of this victory than any of the ones ever won on the ice or playing field.

I'll be watching ESPN in anticipation. How did you hear this?

And for those who are getting red faced over all of this, the continued supporters of the Sioux nickname, I do understand what is going on. Its like the first National Anthem of the Sioux game following 9/11. It wasn't home of the Sioux that night, it was home of the brave. Everyone knew this as there is a time and a place where 100% morality comes into play. However, during this time, I feel that the fight isn't over and the voices that need to be heard, will be heard. So it is home of the Sioux, at this time. Threaten our University, bully us around. It'll only show how strong we are down the road. It only took a few voices to cause this mess and it'll only take a few voices to clean the mess up. A few years lost is better than a lifetime of tradition.

• Upvote 2

After all your classless attacks against me... the irony of that statement is priceless.

Which attacks? Like when I made a simple statement like:

It's only that simple if you have a simple mind.

That wasn't a personal attack. This is a complex issue and that's the truth. Sorry that you can't understand that. Now this is closer to a personal attack on someone:

Stupid comment, BigGreyAny41. Incredibly stupid comment.
Wasn't that one of yours?

Also, those participating in any postseason competition may not have any “hostile or abusive racial/ethnic/national original references”

Of course, SL and those at Standing Rock would indicate that it's not "hostile or abusive".

"It is the spirit of the NCAA's championship policy that the competing student-athletes (both North Dakota and its opponents) not be distracted or disrupted during the championship by debates about when and where your institution's Native American imagery or nickname may be displayed or worn," Franklin said in the letter.

Oh sure, Bernard. Truly, the athletes are going to get in a tizzy about this and not play any hockey. This guy's the NCAA's "Chief Inclusion Officer" which really matters a lot, I guess, unless you're a member of Spirit Lake or one of the many who want to vote on Standing Rock. If the case is still standing, I bet that there will be some sort of injunctive relief sought. The NCAA needs to have its ears pinned back.

And for those who are getting red faced over all of this, the continued supporters of the Sioux nickname, I do understand what is going on. Its like the first National Anthem of the Sioux game following 9/11. It wasn't home of the Sioux that night, it was home of the brave. Everyone knew this as there is a time and a place where 100% morality comes into play. However, during this time, I feel that the fight isn't over and the voices that need to be heard, will be heard. So it is home of the Sioux, at this time. Threaten our University, bully us around. It'll only show how strong we are down the road. It only took a few voices to cause this mess and it'll only take a few voices to clean the mess up. A few years lost is better than a lifetime of tradition.

You try telling that to the coaches and players. I'm pretty sure that they would disagree. A few years of sanctions will cause many years of damage to ALL of the teams.

Therefore we ask that the University take measures to minimize or eliminate the presence of the imagery or nickname brought to an NCAA championship venue.

This sentence is a little disturbing. Is the University going to have to tell people to refrain from wearing Sioux garb or is this just the athletes and the associated school party?