SiouxSports.com Forum

The Sanctions and Punishments Have Arrived

The Sicatoka

No, but I think he's right. You aren't related to Jesse Taken Alive, are you? That would explain a lot.

Not unless he's Norwegian and Irish. And he feels that the NCAA has a very flawed policy, but that they are holding all of the cards so it is best for the University of North Dakota to move on. You really have no concept that there is a huge difference between Jesse Taken Alive and his group who think the name is racist, and the rest of us that don't want to harm the University and the Athletic Department just to keep the name.
  • Upvote 2

Not unless he's Norwegian and Irish. And he feels that the NCAA has a very flawed policy, but that they are holding all of the cards so it is best for the University of North Dakota to move on. You really have no concept that there is a huge difference between Jesse Taken Alive and his group who think the name is racist, and the rest of us that don't want to harm the University and the Athletic Department just to keep the name.

No, you're wrong.

Why I saw Jesse Taken Alive wearing a Sioux jersey and speaking very reasonably about how the name has to be retired to protect the University of North Dakota's athletic department.

That's why we are all the same. Didn't you get the memo?

No, you're wrong.

Why I saw Jesse Taken Alive wearing a Sioux jersey and speaking very reasonably about how the name has to be retired to protect the University of North Dakota's athletic department.

That's why we are all the same. Didn't you get the memo?

I must have missed that one. As a matter of fact, I haven't gotten any of the club memos for a while.

Jesse thinks the name should go, and so do you. Either you're for the name or you're against it. It's that simple.

The world isn't quite that black-and-white. It's very possible to love the name but also love the university. Just because somebody wants the name to go doesn't mean they don't wish it could stay. It just means they'd rather not have the school and athletic department crippled by it.

The world isn't quite that black-and-white. It's very possible to love the name but also love the university. Just because somebody wants the name to go doesn't mean they don't wish it could stay. It just means they'd rather not have the school and athletic department crippled by it.

He doesn't care about the University or the athletic department. He only cares about the nickname.
  • Upvote 2

I must have missed that one. As a matter of fact, I haven't gotten any of the club memos for a while.

Well, just remember.

Everyone against the use of the Sioux name now is of like mind and all have the exact same reasons. We are lock-step! Get in line, mister! :lol:

When losing a debate always resort to personal attacks. Stay classy, 82SiouxGuy.

PS - You may want to consider changing your user name, being that you're not a nickname supporter.

It's not my problem if you can't comprehend the complexity of the situation. And it's impossible to debate with someone willing to burn down the house.
  • Upvote 3

Jesse thinks the name should go, and so do you. Either you're for the name or you're against it. It's that simple.

No it is not that simple. I used to be all for the name, but I now realize that if UND keeps the name insurmountable damages will be done to the athletic department as a whole. My decisions as an alumnus are for the betterment of UND as a whole, not for some name that we can all agree is pretty cool.

So count me in as against the name but a lot of thought and research has gone into my stance whereas you are a clear fanatic who would take down anything and anyone to get what you want. Also, your arguments sound like you have only an elementary school education.

• Upvote 2

You need to get a damn good dose of common sense and reality to recognize facts in this world. NCAA has ALL the trump cards in this fiasco.

UND must lose the name to have any chance at ever getting it back. The simple fact is that the two tribes were sitting on their damned asses while this played out way back when. I am deeply sorry that they did but cannot change history. It wasn't a priority for them at the time. Maybe things have changed now, I and the rest of the common sense "SIOUX" supporters have recognized that UND MUST let the name be retired officially until the Spirit Lake vs. NCAA is settled in court.

Let Spirit Lake have ownership of the logo and hopefully a long shot win in court with NCAA. If they don't win the game is completely over. Just remember that when it counted most in the eyes of the NCAA the two tribes were MIA. Simple facts, NCAA rules and the monopoly that it is....They have a pretty much insurmountable lead with less than 2 minutes to go.

If SL wins, have a $ contract with UND to rent the name and logo to ensure the $ (incentive) is there to ensure this crazy issue NEVER comes back with changing leadership at SL.

No, the name doesn't stay. We are talking about athletic teams, not the rights of the oppressed around the world. If UND is to remain one of the finest institutions of higher education in the upper midwest, we also benefit from quality atheltic and music programs. If we don't have a conference for virtually all sports and we handicap hockey, then we are placing barriers to the success of the programs. The name is irrelevant to that success and always has been. It has been a big part of what we as athletes and fans identify with but the traditions and the energy from the fans is about the teams, players and our ability as fans to identify with their successes or even failures. we will still be able to do that after the name is gone. We will still wear whatever jersey or logo we wish. The enemy is not UND, the SBoHE, or for that matter even most of those who prefer to keep the name. It is the NCAA and we are in their yard playing with their ball and we play by their rules. The vast majority of UND fans and alumni when they are given the facts, see this and are concerned that too many well meaning people, led by those who have strong but misguided convictions will lead to a disaster. With regards to the rights of our Native American friends, they didnt' move on the issue when it would have taken only one tribe, nor in the three years they had after the NCAA gave us a temporary reprieve. They have sat on the sidelines until their only recourse is litigation. They need to leave UND uot of it. I hope they succeed agaisnt the NCAA but the courts have ruled over the years that the NCAA is a private club and you don't ahve to belong. Play by thier rules or join the NAIA. Anyone who thinks hockey as we know it will survive NCAA sanctions is fooling themselves. That is OK just don't try and fool others with unfounded statements. Go Sioux! Easy to still say, the NCAA can't stop any of us from our right to free speech. I will wear my Sioux logos this weekend at the hockey games. Won't matter to our team or the NCAA. Just isn't a priority to our teams. It is more so an issue with our hockey franternity because of the gratitude we all have for the Englestad family and their gifts to UND. The arena next door for BB and VB is also a gift from the Englestad family.

my god has this world changed into a bunch of cry babies. Unreal. The name stays.

Yeah, what a bunch of cry babies. I mean its not like Spirit Lake doesn't have more important issues they could/should be spending their time and effort on. http://www.inforum.com/event/article/id/352507/publisher_ID/1/ They should maybe take care of business at home before worrying about whats going on in Grand Forks.

Yeah, what a bunch of cry babies. I mean its not like Spirit Lake doesn't have more important issues they could/should be spending their time and effort on. http://www.inforum.c...publisher_ID/1/ They should maybe take care of business at home before worrying about whats going on in Grand Forks.

That's funny, in a way; can't tell if your post is tongue-in-cheek. But it's the same argument that the save-the-name crowd used to use against the antis back when the prevailing perception was that Indians were the ones who were opposed to the name.