SiouxSports.com Forum

2012 early look

UND92,96

I don't think the crowd will affect Montana at the Alerus center, based on where they have made appearances in years past. That being said, there shouldn't be an open seat for the football game, and you shouldn't be able to hear yourself think when Montana has the football.

The days of the crowd winning games for the team might be over with.

PS: Anybody have a video clip of Digger Anderson stuffing Rod Malone on 4th and short at the Alerus? Had to be the loudest moment in Alerus center history....

• Upvote 1

I don't think the crowd will affect Montana at the Alerus center, based on where they have made appearances in years past. That being said, there shouldn't be an open seat for the football game, and you shouldn't be able to hear yourself think when Montana has the football.

PS: Anybody have a video clip of Digger Anderson stuffing Rod Malone on 4th and short at the Alerus? Had to be the loudest moment in Alerus center history....

I got the clip in my head. Not on hardcopy thank God.

• Upvote 1

I'd love to see it, also.

I think the playoff game against UC-Davis might have been louder.

Its either the UC-Davis game or the Northern Alabama game for loudest of all time. I think one thing that really helped was the Northern Alabama fans were pretty loud themselves at that game. Just a buzz the whole game.... :)

I think the playoff game against UC-Davis might have been louder.

4 loudest moments in the Alerus Center......

#4 - 1st and goal for UC-Davis on UND's 1 yard line in the 2001 semifinal game

#3 - 2nd and goal for UC-Davis on UND's 1 yard line in the 2001 semifinal game

#2 - 3rd and goal for UC-Davis on UND's 1 yard line in the 2001 semifinal game

#1 - 4th and goal for UC-Davis on UND's 1 yard line in the 2001 semifinal game

• Upvote 4

Wasn't in the building, so I can't vote on that one. Digger stuffing Malone, and then the place going nuclear is #1 all time in my book.

I wasn't at the 2001 UC Davis game or the final Sioux-Bison game so I can't attest to either. But it seems like that '01 UC Davis game has become legendary by all accounts. I was at the North Alabama game in 2003, and if those two games were louder than that one, then that is really sayin' something.

The fact is that if the crowd is into it, the Alerus can be a very intimidating venue despite the smallish scale of the arena. The noise can create havoc for opposing offenses whether it is Montana or Black Hills St.

Drove by Memorial this morning and saw the football team doing a little 7 on 7 and noticed a car parked in front of the north gate with someone watching the action, can't remember the last time I've seen someone watching an unofficial practice. Interest is very high for this team.

• Upvote 1

I was at that game....it was very loud!!! We need to duplicate that this season.

Most of us know that the Alerus can get very load. A lot of people, mostly current students, don't realize how loud it can actually get and how much of an advantage that is. In UC Davis' first possesion in that 01 playoff game, I think they had 3 false start penalties to start the game. Got louder after each one!! It was unbelievable!! I know that we can get back to that type of atmoshpere.

• Upvote 3

Drove by Memorial this morning and saw the football team doing a little 7 on 7 and noticed a car parked in front of the north gate with someone watching the action, can't remember the last time I've seen someone watching an unofficial practice. Interest is very high for this team.

Did the license plate say "LAKSBSN"? :lol:

• Upvote 1

UND Tailgate Village Have not seen this previously but it appears others have with Montana being sold out and two other games close to it (for the tents). Great idea for getting different businesses and groups out for tailgating and the game.

It appears tent space for the Montana game is sold out and the Cal Poly game and NAU homecoming game are not far behind - this is a great sign that these games will yield great attendance, especially the Montana game.

• Upvote 2

It appears tent space for the Montana game is sold out and the Cal Poly game and NAU homecoming game are not far behind - this is a great sign that these games will yield great attendance, especially the Montana game.

That is really great news! I just spoke with my brother in Devils Lake who is much more of a hockey fan and he goes: "sounds like the football team is going to be pretty good this year." He is definitely not a die hard football fan so it sounds like there is some buzz brewing up there! I am flying up for that one and I can't wait!

I wasn't at the 2001 UC Davis game or the final Sioux-Bison game so I can't attest to either. But it seems like that '01 UC Davis game has become legendary by all accounts. I was at the North Alabama game in 2003, and if those two games were louder than that one, then that is really sayin' something.

The fact is that if the crowd is into it, the Alerus can be a very intimidating venue despite the smallish scale of the arena. The noise can create havoc for opposing offenses whether it is Montana or Black Hills St.

Totally agree - In my opinion, the biggest rebuilding we have to do is with game buzz and atmosphere. Coaching staff appears to be working hard on talent and shoring up weak spots. Now that we have a conference and DI schedule, we need to get the atmosphere back. We have had almost a perfect storm of misfortune to bring the atmosphere down to where it is now - a lackluster home transition schedule, unfortunate losses to lesser teams, mediocre teams, poor marketing (think last year's video), a decline in tailgating, and the loss of the students. Couple this with uninspired game management and here we are. I know that having a great schedule will help, but more needs to be done. Winning is a must. In addition, this team needs an identity. In talking about the loudest games, a theme arises - everyone there remembers those team's style - an efficient offense and a defense that just came at you. The loudest moments came from the "on your feet Sioux fans for another 3rd and long" we knew that the defense would bring it. I think a reall buzz kill recently has been our loose secondary and lack of pass rush. We have the talent to turn this around, but need a team identity. If we don't get the crowds and students back soon, it will be a long couple of years. I'm not saying the staff isn't working on this, just saying that this is the most important issue in my opinion. We need the Alerus to rock again.

Totally agree - In my opinion, the biggest rebuilding we have to do is with game buzz and atmosphere. Coaching staff appears to be working hard on talent and shoring up weak spots. Now that we have a conference and DI schedule, we need to get the atmosphere back. We have had almost a perfect storm of misfortune to bring the atmosphere down to where it is now - a lackluster home transition schedule, unfortunate losses to lesser teams, mediocre teams, poor marketing (think last year's video), a decline in tailgating, and the loss of the students. Couple this with uninspired game management and here we are. I know that having a great schedule will help, but more needs to be done. Winning is a must. In addition, this team needs an identity. In talking about the loudest games, a theme arises - everyone there remembers those team's style - an efficient offense and a defense that just came at you. The loudest moments came from the "on your feet Sioux fans for another 3rd and long" we knew that the defense would bring it. I think a reall buzz kill recently has been our loose secondary and lack of pass rush. We have the talent to turn this around, but need a team identity. If we don't get the crowds and students back soon, it will be a long couple of years. I'm not saying the staff isn't working on this, just saying that this is the most important issue in my opinion. We need the Alerus to rock again.

Well said, I couldn't agree more. If you want more fans and students to show up, you need to promote an intense atmosphere. Football is an intense game, that’s why people love it. So when the atmosphere is dull and boring, it's hard for fans/students to get into it. The in-game marketing crew (and they are supposedly working on this) needs to do their part, as well as the team in just putting a good product out on the field. If those things happen, and a few others, the Alerus could easily be a great place for football in terms of atmosphere and excitement this season.

We/UND knew it would be hard to keep fan interest during the transition.

Weak schedule - been discussed

Lack of control of schedule - one year the first home game wasn't until deep into September, other times there were 2-3 weeks between games, that is what happens when you have to put together an independent/5 team comference schedule.

Cost of tailgating: the price for lots keeps going up, combined with the above two issues people find something else to do.

It would be nice if they allowed fans to tailgate a few hours after the games so we could bond more and discuss games. If concern about overdrinking is the reason I think we are adults and know the cost of a DUI (other schools allow it).

As far as the students - tough to stick up for them - free transportation, free food, free entertainment, the excuse that they can't walk to games is weak. (I think they will come back once the buzz returns).

I think the interest will build and football will become the Saturday destination again - not as big as down south but UND football isn't the only game in town so the fans have to choose how to spend their sport dollars and more choose hockey.

It would be nice if they allowed fans to tailgate a few hours after the games so we could bond more and discuss games. If concern about overdrinking is the reason I think we are adults and know the cost of a DUI (other schools allow it).

Even an hour would be an improvement. Might be something that works better for the last three games (1-3pm starts) vs. the first three (6-7pm starts).

It can't be...single game tickets haven't been sold yet.

It can't be...single game tickets haven't been sold yet.

Apparently they have been given a committment for X amount of tickets for each home game for these tent rentals, where these seats will be located is anyones guess.

Apparently they have been given a committment for X amount of tickets for each home game for these tent rentals, where these seats will be located is anyones guess.

I read it wrong...I thought it said tickets are sold out. My bad.