SiouxSports.com Forum

2012 early look

UND92,96

It pointed to the ultimate goal that any team sets out on a season with. And that while UND has been more successful in the games against SU, NDSU has done an exceptionally good job winning championships while UND...hasn't.

Nice that all these su trolls are able to spend time here and keep our conversations about the Flag Ship University of North Dakota on the straight and narrow.

Since this is a 2012 early look thread I think that on paper we are better than NDSU. Also we'd have about a 60% chance of winning if we met in the playoffs.

The trolls are going to love this one lol. In all seriousness we look great and I am more excited than ever for UND Football!

Which has absolutely nothing to do with who has the better team in most seasons. Those are 2 completely different discussions. You are trying to change the discussion because you lose on the present discussion.

NDSU had more NCC titles too though didn't they?

Since this is a 2012 early look thread I think that on paper we are better than NDSU. Also we'd have about a 60% chance of winning if we met in the playoffs.

Bless your heart. Thats precious.

Take it however you want to but I thought this was interesting http://www.nfldrafts...=2013&genpos=QB

It has Braden Hanson rated 28 out of 122 QBs.

I was unable to open the site(at work). Does it have him at 28 out of 122 seniors or 28 out of 122 overall. Some of those rankings don't count the incoming juniors.

I was unable to open the site(at work). Does it have him at 28 out of 122 seniors or 28 out of 122 overall. Some of those rankings don't count the incoming juniors.

I'm pretty sure its seniors. I just thought it was interesting either way. It also has Brad Sorenson 6th.

I'm pretty sure its seniors. I just thought it was interesting either way. It also has Brad Sorenson 6th.

I could see that then. So many people leave early now that the elite ones rarely finish their eligibility it seems like.

The list in question is the 122 QBs projected available for the 2013 NFL Draft.

http://www.nfldraftscout.com/ratings/players.php?genpos=QB&draftyear=2013&sortorder=tsxpos&order=ASC

If my eyes are seeing things correctly, Hanson is #2 in FCS:

FCS 1. Sorenson of SUU (#6 overall)

FCS 2. Hanson of North Dakota (#28 overall)

The list in question is the 122 QBs projected available for the 2013 NFL Draft.

http://www.nfldrafts...sxpos&order=ASC

If my eyes are seeing things correctly, Hanson is #2 in FCS:

FCS 1. Sorenson of SUU (#6 overall)

FCS 2. Hanson of North Dakota (#28 overall)

I kinda got it working now. I think it seems weird then that everyone in the top 10 is seniors. I think this is senior exclusive. Or just a senior dominated year.

And yet, UND still won more games head to head against NDSU. So NDSU must have been really bad for quite a few years. But thanks again for trying to deflect the conversation.

From the perspective of this NDSU fan, the only two games that matter in the NDSU vs. UND conversation are the last one and the next one.

• Upvote 2

And yet, UND still won more games head to head against NDSU. So NDSU must have been really bad for quite a few years. But thanks again for trying to deflect the conversation.

I can talk about the UND/NDSU stuff all day, won't deflect conversation. Just point out that some stats are misleading. Upon looking at the number of titles, one would assume NDSU has beaten UND more....but thats not true. Looking at the number of games won by UND, you'd imagine they have more conference titles. Not true.

Bison06, the last one sure hurt. Hopefully the next one doesn't.

You know what? I really don't care about NDSU and am not looking to read about NDSU in the 2012 Early Look otherwise I would be over on bville. So can we move on from this and focus on UND football 2012? I don't see NDSU on that schedule so no need to really mention them.

• Upvote 1

NDSU should be irrelevant at this point, I'd be more concerned with the business at hand and that's working towards landing a playoff berth in the near future, UND has enough on its plate right now without worrying about what the Johnsons next door are doing.

• Upvote 1

I can talk about the UND/NDSU stuff all day, won't deflect conversation. Just point out that some stats are misleading. Upon looking at the number of titles, one would assume NDSU has beaten UND more....but thats not true. Looking at the number of games won by UND, you'd imagine they have more conference titles. Not true.

Bison06, the last one sure hurt. Hopefully the next one doesn't.

This points out that sometimes people get too hung up on titles. Games occur in years that your team doesn't win a title. Titles don't tell the entire story for a program. UND and NDSU played more than 100 games. Between the 2 schools, they won 51 NCC titles, and they shared some of those.(5 I believe). But that means neither school won the title in more than 50 years (more than 1/2 the years) that the schools played games. So determining who was the better team over time can't just count the years where they won titles, you have to count the other years, too. Otherwise you are throwing out more than half the years the programs existed.

This points out that sometimes people get too hung up on titles. Games occur in years that your team doesn't win a title. Titles don't tell the entire story for a program. UND and NDSU played more than 100 games. Between the 2 schools, they won 51 NCC titles, and they shared some of those.(5 I believe). But that means neither school won the title in more than 50 years (more than 1/2 the years) that the schools played games. So determining who was the better team over time can't just count the years where they won titles, you have to count the other years, too. Otherwise you are throwing out more than half the years the programs existed.

Up until the last 5-10 years. The Cleveland Browns had more victories in the rivalry with the Steelers. In that time, the Steelers had won 5 Super Bowls. When asked who was the superior team, I doubt many folks would say the Cleveland Browns. They just happened to have won more of the games.

I see your point as well however.

Obviously the stats do indicate that UND was the better team more years, but do you feel that this proves that UND has been the better team overall? The fact that UND has a relatively significant lead in the head-to-head matches could lead one to believe that UND has been the better team overall. However, the same can be said if you only look at national championships won for NDSU. Although you can't just take the years in which one team won a title, titles should be factored in IMO. When looking at both statistics together, I believe this indicates that UND has been good more consistently than NDSU. On the other hand, NDSU, while not being as consistent as UND, has been great more often than UND. Personally, I would prefer for my team to be good less often, but great more often. That is just my personal opinion. I am not attempting to convince anyone of anything.

I would guess that many of the people on this forum are Minnesota Vikings fans like me. As a Vikings fan, how many 10-6 seasons would you trade to have seen the Vikings win the Super Bowl in the 2009 season or the 1998 season or the 1987 season?

The topic of the past rivalry between North Dakota and NDSU is certainly a valid one for sports website such as this. However, past results of head-to-head meetings between the two and the number of conference and/or national championships each school has won seems to have little to do with this thread. Let's get back on topic. Feel free to start a new thread in the football forum to discuss the pasts of North Dakota and NDSU.

• Upvote 3

I'd like to think that Hanson is that good of a QB, but then its almost like, "Why is he not still playing I-A ball?"

I believe he sat behind two QBs at North Carolina that got drafted into the NFL. He graduated from college already and has enrolled in grad school at UND. If he wanted to play FBS ball, he'd have to sit out a season. He has family ties to the area, so I think it was just alot of stars aligning at the right time that North Dakota was a good fit for him this season...................