SiouxSports.com Forum

2012 early look

UND92,96

Joe Mollberg scored 23 against Grand Rapids last week and Brian Labatt rejected a couple of key shots from their 6'7" post player last week to lead Detroit Lakes to a win over one of the top ranked teams in Minnesota. With those points, Mollberg becomes the leading scorer in DL history. Earlier this year Labatt became the leading rebounder in DL history. These two guys could be pretty special for UND in the years to come. Both great kids and great athletes. (Mollberg's girlfriend needs 2 points to hit the 1000 point mark in Thursday's playoff game against TRF to become one of the leading scorers in DL girls history. She is the daughter of former UND All-American FB player Paul Muckenhirn and she also will attend UND but won't be playing FB).

Thanks for the update Ira and congrats to all 3.

I am hopeful and very optimistic that you are 100% correct as I have been going through the schedule and thinking about the possibilities. This is the most excited I have ever been for an upcoming football season.

Regarding San Diego State I recently came across this article which leads me to believe that they will not be as good as they have been in the past; at least early on: http://www.mwcconnection.com/2012/2/21/2814774/san-diego-state-spring-football

Long story short if we show up and take it one game at a time we could have another surprise season.

SD Mines --- W --- Obligatory beat down of weak DII school

Portland St. --- W --- Sioux are filled with adrenaline to host first Big Sky school. Win by a FG.

San Diego St. --- L --- No chance, UND is overmatched. Lick your wounds and cash the check.

Sacramento St. --- W --- A mediocre team that won't be able stop North Dakota's run game. Sioux by 7.

Cal Poly --- W --- Always evenly matched teams. Strength against strength. UND wins at home by 2.

Eastern Washington --- L --- Bad match-up on the road. EWU too fast and talented on offense. EWU wins by 13.

Northern Arizona --- W --- Left with a bad taste in the mouth from prior weak, UND lets out frustrations on NAU. Win by 17.

Montana --- W --- Griz lost 9 starters on defense. Two evenly matched teams. UND shuts down Griz running game in a packed house. Miller kicks game winner.

Montana St. --- L --- Sioux get caught being over-confident after upsetting the Griz. Bobcats make an example of us. MSU by 20.

Southern Utah --- W --- Sorenson has a big day, but the T-Birds can't run the ball, or stop UND from running the ball. UND wins by 10.

Northern Colorado --- W --- Sioux win big with a playoff bid on the horizon. UND by 21.

8-3 (6-2 Big Sky). Home playoff game.

Who's with me? :)

UND must win 6 conference games AND beat Portland St. to be considered for the playoffs. I think UND would be favored in 5 of 8 conference match-ups.

If our quarterback play improves from last year and we can stay healthy this year, your prediction could be accurate. Our road game schedule is pretty favorable. I think it will help having played and UNC last year and I believe San Diego St. and Sac St. are winnable road games. Getting Cal Poly and SUU at home (along with Portland St. and Montana) is pretty key. Every time I look at our home schedule I get excited. There are some really good football teams coming to Grand Forks next year. I do get a little nervous about finishing 7-4 and having that Mines game come back and biting us. It would be easier to take finishing 6-5 with an all FCS/FBS schedule than finishing 7-4 with our current schedule. Good post bin.

Portland St. --- W --- Sioux are filled with adrenaline to host first Big Sky school. Win by a FG.

San Diego St. --- L --- No chance, UND is overmatched. Lick your wounds and cash the check.

Sacramento St. --- W --- A mediocre team that won't be able stop North Dakota's run game. Sioux by 7.

Cal Poly --- W --- Always evenly matched teams. Strength against strength. UND wins at home by 2.

Eastern Washington --- L --- Bad match-up on the road. EWU too fast and talented on offense. EWU wins by 13.

Northern Arizona --- W --- Left with a bad taste in the mouth from prior weak, UND lets out frustrations on NAU. Win by 17.

Montana --- W --- Griz lost 9 starters on defense. Two evenly matched teams. UND shuts down Griz running game in a packed house. Miller kicks game winner.

Montana St. --- L --- Sioux get caught being over-confident after upsetting the Griz. Bobcats make an example of us. MSU by 20.

Southern Utah --- W --- Sorenson has a big day, but the T-Birds can't run the ball, or stop UND from running the ball. UND wins by 10.

Northern Colorado --- W --- Sioux win big with a playoff bid on the horizon. UND by 21.

UND must win 6 conference games AND beat Portland St. to be considered for the playoffs. I think UND would be favored in 5 of 8 conference match-ups.

Not if the nickname supporters have anything to say about it.

I can't see UND sweeping it's home schedule. UND drops a game to either cal poly or UM (maybe both) and drops 2 games on the road, probably msu and ewu. Keeps it respectable against SDSU, but loses by 9, with a close game going into the 4th. 7-4, tie for 4th in the bcs with ewu and psu. UM MSU and cal poly make it to the playoffs, and psu and ewu are bubbleteams. The d2 game keeps und home for the holidays.

of the 9 'conference' games, I think UND should be favored in 5 and a tossup in the 6th. Against msu, montana and ewu, und will be the underdog, cal poly being the wash.

I am. And I'm waiting for the hockey schedule to come out before deciding which football game to drive to Grand Forks for. Hopefully, I'll be able to catch the rest of the DI home games on TV.

of the 9 'conference' games, I think UND should be favored in 5 and a tossup in the 6th. Against msu, montana and ewu, und will be the underdog, cal poly being the wash.

MSU, UM, and EWU are the teams that I figure will be favored against us. Cal Poly and UND have been so even the last 3 years that I always give the edge to the home team, even thought they beat us in GF last year.

Unexpectedly walked in on the QBs and receivers practicing at the Hyslop Multipurpose gym today (Saturday, about 1 p.m.). I paid close attention to Braden. It was odd to watch a lefty, but his throws were superb -- straight and accurate. There were no real bombs thrown by anyone, mostly short pattern stuff and some mid-range over the shoulder stuff for the receivers. I realize there was no opposition of any kind so take this with a grain of salt. But it was sure fun to watch the future in action. R.J.looked like he's in as great shape as ever, fast and darting. There was another receiver who was much taller than R.J. -- couldn't tell if it was Hardin or Tyree (sp?), but you could tell he was in the gym over the off season. Looked totally ripped. The rest of the receivers there looked to be bigger, plodding tight end types. Joey Bradley and another QB (maybe Comes) also were there throwing. Wish I could have stayed longer but had to get to the men's BB game.

Unexpectedly walked in on the QBs and receivers practicing at the Hyslop Multipurpose gym today (Saturday, about 1 p.m.). I paid close attention to Braden. It was odd to watch a lefty, but his throws were superb -- straight and accurate. There were no real bombs thrown by anyone, mostly short pattern stuff and some mid-range over the shoulder stuff for the receivers. I realize there was no opposition of any kind so take this with a grain of salt. But it was sure fun to watch the future in action. R.J.looked like he's in as great shape as ever, fast and darting. There was another receiver who was much taller than R.J. -- couldn't tell if it was Hardin or Tyree (sp?), but you could tell he was in the gym over the off season. Looked totally ripped. The rest of the receivers there looked to be bigger, plodding tight end types. Joey Bradley and another QB (maybe Comes) also were there throwing. Wish I could have stayed longer but had to get to the men's BB game.

The receiver you are reffering to must be Jameer Jackson. I hear he's about 235 pounds now and has been lifting a ton of weight in the weight room.

The receiver you are reffering to must be Jameer Jackson. I hear he's about 235 pounds now and has been lifting a ton of weight in the weight room.

Can he still move? I don't care how good he looks on TV or how ripped he is if he can't get away from a cover corner.

Any chance he moves to TE? Just thinking how tough it would be for a D to defend that. They would either have to zone, Man up with safeties(to leave LB's available to stop run), opening the middle of the field, or man up with LB's which I would bet aren't as athletic as those two guys. That could be a good match up in the 20-10 range. Man i should have been a coach ;)

Thanks... I bet you are right. I'm not that familiar yet with how these guys look without their numbers and not in uniform. I'm counting down the days to Spring ball and I am going to throw myself a personal little "Done with Transition" party on July 1!

IMO, Jackson is the type of WR you don't want to pigeon-hole into any one spot or position. He's got the ability to go outside against smaller corners and go up and get the ball using his bigger body in the red zone and other "possession" situations (get to the sticks). He's also the type of guy you can line up in the slot and cause serious matchup issues with. Who knows, he may end up as a TE eventually.

I think it will all depend on how he progresses physically with his size and speed. I'm excited to see how he develops this spring. The mental part is sometimes the toughest for young WRs.

IMO, Jackson is the type of WR you don't want to pigeon-hole into any one spot or position. He's got the ability to go outside against smaller corners and go up and get the ball using his bigger body in the red zone and other "possession" situations (get to the sticks). He's also the type of guy you can line up in the slot and cause serious matchup issues with. Who knows, he may end up as a TE eventually.

I think it will all depend on how he progresses physically with his size and speed. I'm excited to see how he develops this spring. The mental part is sometimes the toughest for young WRs.

Spoken like you have some experience against these types...? :LOL...JK my Friend

Can he still move? I don't care how good he looks on TV or how ripped he is if he can't get away from a cover corner.

Any chance he moves to TE? Just thinking how tough it would be for a D to defend that. They would either have to zone, Man up with safeties(to leave LB's available to stop run), opening the middle of the field, or man up with LB's which I would bet aren't as athletic as those two guys. That could be a good match up in the 20-10 range. Man i should have been a coach ;)

We'll know how he can move soon. They do their testing ( 40, pro agility, vert, and broad ) today. I'm excited to see if any of the freshman or anyone can join the 4.4 40 and 40+ vert club with Mersereau since Hawkins is done.

We'll know how he can move soon. They do their testing ( 40, pro agility, vert, and broad ) today. I'm excited to see if any of the freshman or anyone can join the 4.4 40 and 40+ vert club with Mersereau since Hawkins is done.

When do they announce the results? Or when do we find out?

Given Jackson's physical attributes, it is hard not to get excited about him. There have been some excellent wide-receivers to come through UND, but they have mostly been either speed guys, or possession guys that have been small in stature. Whether or not it is Jackson, it would be a huge asset to the team to have a big physical guy with good hands that runs good routes regardless of how fast he is................

I can't remember the last time we had a guy at WR that a QB could just toss it up to in single coverage and be confident that the receiver had a good chance at coming down with it. That's what has hurt us the last couple years. When Freund, Manke, Bowenkamp, and Klosterman were playing QB over the last decade, they were real accurate throwers that IMO could take advantage of situtions that Landry, Goska, and Bradley could not......................

• Upvote 1