SiouxSports.com Forum

NCAA Hockey Scores and Updates (Non-Sioux)

brianvf

But many gopher fans consider MacWilliams hit dirty even when a former head of NHL officials thought it was clean, and of course Rau is an angel, even though he hit a player that had let up after a touch up for a penalty that Rau was fully aware was being called. Some gopher fans truly are delusional in their viewing of the game. Rau has already built up a number of questionable circumstances that are borderline dirty. Some I can give him the benefit of the doubt on, last nights makes me wonder if he truly deserves the benefit of the doubt. I would say that as a rookie his reputation as a scorer and hard worker are well deserved, but he also will be watched for questionable activity beyond those positives as well.

MacWilliams hit was definitely clean. Hockey is getting screwed by people who can't take a hit anymore. You might as well keep your head down from now on because if you get leveled with your head down you'll draw a penalty. Just stupid

• Upvote 1

MacWilliams hit was definitely clean. Hockey is getting screwed by people who can't take a hit anymore. You might as well keep your head down from now on because if you get leveled with your head down you'll draw a penalty. Just stupid

100% agree with you here. I've been saying it for a while now that you might as well skate with your head down because if someone drills you, like they should, you end up drawing a penalty and a lot of times a major. All the majors being called produces way to many flops and way too many players turning to draw them. The first Sioux penalty on Panzarella was a perfect example of a player knowing the hit will be coming and turning to draw a penalty.

It's truly a shame that the head-down hit is becoming a penalty and possible major every time it happens.

That being said, all teams have to play with these rules, and the test is which ones adjust effectively.

You had it all wrong.

All the refs have to ref by these rules, and the test is which ones ref consistently.

Even with Sioux loss tonight, home ice may not be "officially" clinched but they have to be close. Omaha and CC's loss has to help UND. So you have Omaha (27) CC (27), Tech (26) underneath the Sioux and CC and Tech play next week.

The only scenario that I see is if Minnesota State sweeps the Sioux AND St. Cloud sweeps Duluth....even then, UND and St Cloud would still each have 29 points and be tied for 6th/7th.

It takes a total collapse by the Sioux next week not to finish 4th. Even with a split it looks like UND will be 4th.

I'm hoping for a Omaha and UND sweep. Maybe third?

In the CCHA this weekend it's Notre Dame vs Ohio State (8 vs 9) in the first round. You have to think the loser there drops in Pairwise and won't have a chance to gain anything. I see this as good. Ewe for UND as these are two teams we need to cheer against.

Saw this on twitter and thought it was interesting:

#QMJHL news: 2013 draft eligible Brandon Shea has reportedly left the Moncton Wildcats and gone home. Apparently dissatisfied with icetime.

In 45 games as a 16-year-old rookie with the Wildcats, Shea has three goals and ten points.

Shea at one time was set to go through US NTDP and attend Boston College. Chose the CHL route instead.

Ouch. A cautionary tale perhaps? It will be interesting to see how this plays out.

Yeah, it sounds like he is completely ineligible to play NCAA hockey

Via the same source

The NCAA option is out the window now but he could easily be traded at the draft & start fresh for draft year.

Tough break! Unfortunately, that's the risk these young players take when choosing CHL over NCAA. If things don't work out in the NCAA, a player can always go to the CHL. But If things don't work out in the CHL, a player can't run to the NCAA.

It sounds like he might be able to join a USHL team if a CHL trade doesn't work out.

I believe he's completely ineligible for NCAA hockey. Someone correct me if i'm wrong.

I found this:

Student Athlete Planning Services

Can I try out for teams in major junior and still be eligible to compete in the NCAA?

Before enrollment in a NCAA university, an athlete can:

• Try out for any length of time with a professional or major junior hockey team at your own expense.
  • Receive one expense paid tryout with a professional or major junior team as long as it does not exceed 48 hours. (Note: You can only receive 1 expenses paid tryout from each team.)
  • Note that during a tryout, an individual loses NCAA athletic eligibility if he takes part in any outside competition as a representative of that major junior team (games, scrimmages, 3-on-3 tournaments, etc.).

Can I play games in Major Junior without impacting my NCAA eligibility?

The NCAA considers major junior hockey to be professional hockey. Therefore, student-athletes who compete in Major Junior jeopardize some or all of their NCAA athletic eligibility because they fail to remain "amateurs" as per NCAA regulations. Student-athletes will lose all athletic eligibility to compete in NCAA Division I hockey if they:

• Compete in any major junior game after their expected date of high school graduation.
    • Sign a contract (OHL Player Agreement) with a major junior team.
    • Student athletes will lose some athletic eligibility to compete in NCAA Division I hockey if they compete in any major junior game before their expected date of high school graduation, without signing a contract, or attend a major junior training camp for more than 48 hours while having their expenses covered by the major junior team.

It'll be interesting to see how the DU/UND game in two weeks compares to the Michigan/Notre Dame game. It might put a little perspective to the NCHC ratings draw potential...or perspective to UND's ratings draw.

The UND-DU game drew 86,000 viewers compared to 74,000 viewers for the Michigan-Notre Dame game. The BU-VT game that preceded the UND-DU game only drew 38,000 viewers.

January 6 - Dartmouth vs. RPI, 38,000 viewers

January 20 - Michigan vs. Notre Dame, 74,000 viewers

January 27 - Yale vs. Harvard, 82,000

February 3 - Cornell vs. RPI, 64,000 viewers

Febuary 10 - Boston College vs. Vermont, n/a*

February 10 - Minnesota vs. Denver, n/a*

February 17 - Dartmouth vs. Yale, n/a*

February 24 - Boston University vs. Vermont, 38,000 viewers

February 24 - North Dakota vs. Denver, 86,000 viewers

*I haven't been able to find ratings for the Feb. 10 or Feb. 17 games. It would be interesting to see how UND-DU compared to MN-DU and BC-VT.

An average of 62,000 viewers were tuned into NBC Sports Network at any given time last month.

• Upvote 1

The UND-DU game drew 86,000 viewers compared to 74,000 viewers for the Michigan-Notre Dame game. The BU-VT game that preceded the UND-DU game only drew 38,000 viewers.

*I haven't been able to find ratings for the Feb. 10 or Feb. 17 games. It would be interesting to see how UND-DU compared to MN-DU and BC-VT.

An average of 62,000 viewers were tuned into NBC Sports Network at any given time last month.

Very nice! Thanks for that!

I would love to know how Minnesota and Denver drew. Obviously those numbers would be skewed some since FSN also did the broadcast which more than likely took at least 10,000 viewers away from them since many people probably had no idea Minnesota was even on NBCSN. But I'd still love to know.

I would love to know how Minnesota and Denver drew. Obviously those numbers would be skewed some since FSN also did the broadcast which more than likely took at least 10,000 viewers away from them since many people probably had no idea Minnesota was even on NBCSN. But I'd still love to know.

NBCSN has exclusive coverage - FSN showed TWolves BB that night.

It depends upon whether they count how many Gopher fans actually watched the game or if they count the number of Gopher fans that own TVs.

• Upvote 1