SiouxSports.com Forum

NCAA Hockey Scores and Updates (Non-Sioux)

brianvf

It depends upon whether they count how many Gopher fans actually watched the game or if they count the number of Gopher fans that own TVs.

:lol:

It was on an FSN+ channel that night.

Correct, there were some people on GPL who don't get NBCSN and had to watch on FSN+. Poor guys had to listen to Lapanta and Gorg

Not really. College hockey just isn't popular. Plain and simple. The ratings aren't as high as many people would think.

Yep. College hockey is even considerably less popular than women's basketball. They have regular season games on ESPN every week. This year the Frozen Four semi's aren't even on ESPN2, they've been moved to ESPNU.

Yep. College hockey is even considerably less popular than women's basketball. They have regular season games on ESPN every week. This year the Frozen Four semi's aren't even on ESPN2, they've been moved to ESPNU.

And the NCAA championship game got moved from ESPN to ESPN2

Wow, not sure if there's any truth to this or not.

"In a surprising development, Minnesota and Wisconsin are negotiating with DU to visit Denver every other season, while the Pioneers will return the visits in alternating years. It is exciting to hear that these rivalries will continue despite the departures from the WCHA. Minnesota and Wisconsin alums in Colorado will be thrilled to hear of this development."

http://letsgodu.blogspot.com/2012/02/dus-future-schedules-include-pleasant.html

This would fill Minnesota's schedule for at least a couple years. A series with UND is looking like a near 0% possibility now, at least in the first 2 years of the new conferences.

Wow, not sure if there's any truth to this or not.

"In a surprising development, Minnesota and Wisconsin are negotiating with DU to visit Denver every other season, while the Pioneers will return the visits in alternating years. It is exciting to hear that these rivalries will continue despite the departures from the WCHA. Minnesota and Wisconsin alums in Colorado will be thrilled to hear of this development."

http://letsgodu.blog...e-pleasant.html

This would fill Minnesota's schedule for at least a couple years. A series with UND is looking like a near 0% possibility now, at least in the first 2 years of the new conferences.

I wonder if this is the result of Wisconsin and Minnesota having to drop schedule agreements with UND because of the Fighting Sioux nickname. The UND-Wisco deal was set at 4 years, and UND was in talks with MN at the time the Fighting Sioux petitions were turned in. UND's loss is DU's gain?

I wonder if this is the result of Wisconsin and Minnesota having to drop schedule agreements with UND because of the Fighting Sioux nickname. The UND-Wisco deal was set at 4 years, and UND was in talks with MN at the time the Fighting Sioux petitions were turned in. UND's loss is DU's gain?

It's possible. I just don't know if I'll believe it until I hear it from a more reliable source. I just don't consider the guy that runs that blog to be very reliable.

The UND-DU game drew 86,000 viewers compared to 74,000 viewers for the Michigan-Notre Dame game. The BU-VT game that preceded the UND-DU game only drew 38,000 viewers.

January 6 - Dartmouth vs. RPI, 38,000 viewers

January 20 - Michigan vs. Notre Dame, 74,000 viewers

January 27 - Yale vs. Harvard, 82,000

February 3 - Cornell vs. RPI, 64,000 viewers

Febuary 10 - Boston College vs. Vermont, n/a*

February 10 - Minnesota vs. Denver, n/a*

February 17 - Dartmouth vs. Yale, n/a*

February 24 - Boston University vs. Vermont, 38,000 viewers

February 24 - North Dakota vs. Denver, 86,000 viewers

UPDATE: Minnesota-Denver game on February 10 - 57,000 viewers (via twitter)

The numbers for the UND-DU game are impressive considering the late start time, not to mention the lead in game only drew 38,000 viewers. Root Sports reported that Saturday's game was the highest rated of the year in the Denver market.

UPDATE: Minnesota-Denver game on February 10 - 57,000 viewers (via twitter)

The numbers for the UND-DU game are impressive considering start time was 10:00 pm eastern (8:00 pm mountain), not to mention the lead in game only drew 38,000 viewers. Root Sports reported that ratings for Saturday's game were the highest rated of the year in the Denver market.

Not too bad. Add in FSN and there was probably between 70,000-90,000 viewers. I wish FSN would tell what type of ratings they get for Gophers hockey. Can't find it anywhere.

It truly is insane how many UND alumni live in Denver

You would have to assume, if true, that would be the primary reason for looking past UND towards someone the caliber of Denver. Minnesota and Wisconsin aren't going to leave holes in their schedules for very long waiting to see how the nickname issue finally settles out. Even though it's not official I hate seeing this in print because deals like these could be made now even though the nickname issue could be settled later this year with the nickname being retired, but with UM and Bucky already having deals in place and UND getting shut out anyway. That would be a lose/lose deal for us.

Not too bad. Add in FSN and there was probably between 70,000-90,000 viewers. I wish FSN would tell what type of ratings they get for Gophers hockey. Can't find it anywhere.

It truly is insane how many UND alumni live in Denver

Even though we export oil, AG products, and many manufactured products. Our largest export is the talented hard working people who leave the state for jobs around the country.

Charlie Coyle, who left BU a couple months ago to play in the QMJHL, has signed a 3-year contract with the Minnesota Wild.

Coyle had 14 points for BU this year (1/2 year) and 26 points all last year. He currently has 24 points in 16 games in the Q.

@MikeMcMahonET: A lot of scouts I've spoken to point to Coyle's pt dif in the Q as a reason why NCAA is better for development. Older players. Tougher game.

Less games = more practice, where players get better. A lot of NHL teams subscribe. Look @ NHL teams w/ a lot of NCAA spects

Some of Coyle's competition was 16 year olds, he should dominate. Look @ the 120pt guys in the Q that never get a sniff of the show

Makes me think of JT Miller and the points he's putting up in the OHL - 59 points in 53 games (23 goals, 36 assists).

Via twitter:

Stefan Matteau scored twice and racked up 21 minutes in penalties in a 3-2 U.S. U18 loss to Green Bay earlier tonight.

Matteau received three minors, a major and a game misconduct this evening. This is his second USHL game this season with more than 20 PIM.

There appears to be a pattern developing with Matteau. Last spring he was suspended for a hit on Colten St. Clair, and in December he received another lengthy suspension from the USHL. If this behavior keeps up, UND may dodged a bullet with him decommitting.

I just read the Gopher's live chat out of curiosity and how in the heck is Roman the beat writer for arguably the biggest problem in college hockey? He knows next to nothing about hockey and seems like he barely even follows the team. Had very little insight on recruits etc, except stuff that anyone could google such as stats etc. We are very lucky to have Brad. He puts tremendous effort into his job and really keeps us informed on everything Sioux hockey.

• Upvote 1

I just read the Gopher's live chat out of curiosity and how in the heck is Roman the beat writer for arguably the biggest problem in college hockey? He knows next to nothing about hockey and seems like he barely even follows the team. Had very little insight on recruits etc, except stuff that anyone could google such as stats etc. We are very lucky to have Brad. He puts tremendous effort into his job and really keeps us informed on everything Sioux hockey.

Roman is absolutely terrible. Brad knows more about Gopher players than Roman does :lol:. Brad does his job and he loves it. Roman does his job because that's what he was assigned. There's a HUGE difference.

Roman is absolutely terrible. Brad knows more about Gopher players than Roman does :lol:. Brad does his job and he loves it. Roman does his job because that's what he was assigned. There's a HUGE difference.

It does kind of seem like that doesn't it. How great would it be to have a job following the sport you love. On the other hand, sometimes a level of detachment is a good thing, especially if the objectivity becomes a problem. I think Schlossman does a good job of reporting to Sioux fans but also revealing both sides of the equation from strengths to weaknesses. Of course he will always be weighted to some degree to the Sioux point of view, but I don't think it rises to the level it does with some broadcast or print outlets.

The phrase "blind leading the blind" comes to mind!

I got to talk to him during the Minnesota series, I think he is an interesting chap. I think he likes following WNBA more than he likes hockey.

He seemed interested in hockey as well and asked some pointed questions of the coaches.

Can you imagine if Paul Allen regularly had Roman on his show instead of Ryan Cardinal?

Lord help us all if that ever happens....

It does kind of seem like that doesn't it. How great would it be to have a job following the sport you love. On the other hand, sometimes a level of detachment is a good thing, especially if the objectivity becomes a problem. I think Schlossman does a good job of reporting to Sioux fans but also revealing both sides of the equation from strengths to weaknesses. Of course he will always be weighted to some degree to the Sioux point of view, but I don't think it rises to the level it does with some broadcast or print outlets.

Obviously Brad has to cater to the UND fan base first, but when I ask him questions as a Gopher fan I'm always satisfied with the non-biased answers I seem to get back from him. He's a great reporter and it's no surprise he's quite possibly the most respected journalist in the WCHA.