SiouxSports.com Forum

Conference Realignments - Take 2

The Sicatoka

9 minutes ago, jdub27 said:

He already has them in the Summit League?
What are you yelling about?

u need to keep up with the conference realignment more....st thomas will leave the summit for greener grass unless fenton/nchc comm get them to join nchc ...which is a deal where if thye leave for the mvc they are kicked out of the nchc...package deal....

• Upvote 2

3 minutes ago, SIOUXFAN97 said:

u need to keep up with the conference realignment more....st thomas will leave the summit for greener grass unless fenton/nchc comm get them to join nchc ...which is a deal where if thye leave for the mvc they are kicked out of the nchc...package deal....

That might actually work.

14 minutes ago, SIOUXFAN97 said:

no...they get an invite to nchc with promise they won't bolt summit for mvc down the road....

Bold strategy. But I'd be interested how you draw up the paperwork that makes your conference affiliation in one sport completely contingent on remaining in a completely separate, unrelated conference.

If you want to bring hockey under the Summit umbrella (not a fan of that idea), you might be on to something.
Football makes more sense to bring into the fold anyway. 

10 minutes ago, jdub27 said:

Bold strategy. But I'd be interested how you draw up the paperwork that makes your conference affiliation in one sport completely contingent on remaining in a completely separate, unrelated conference.

If you want to bring hockey under the Summit umbrella (not a fan of that idea), you might be on to something.
Football makes more sense to bring into the fold anyway. 

any school can be kicked out...just ask........st thomas!  but yeah whovever on here came up with the idea says merge everything into summitt and go from there

Add football and Hockey to Summit League - bring in both St. Thomas and Lindenwood.

Football:

UND, NDSU, USD, SDSU, WIU, St.T, Lindenwood - 7 teams - opens up nonconference scheduling with MVC teams.

Hockey:

UND, Omaha, Denver, St. T, Lindenwood - Other NCHC Miami, WMich, CC (keep DU happy) and ASU teams can join as affiliates - just dump SCSU.

9 minutes ago, FSSD said:

Add football and Hockey to Summit League - bring in both St. Thomas and Lindenwood.

Football:

UND, NDSU, USD, SDSU, WIU, St.T, Lindenwood - 7 teams - opens up nonconference scheduling with MVC teams.

Hockey:

UND, Omaha, Denver, St. T, Lindenwood - Other NCHC Miami, WMich, CC (keep DU happy) and ASU teams can join as affiliates - just dump SCSU.

1ED51F4D-0FA2-480D-BF0F-E7CFD9311989.jpeg

If the Summit League doesn't add hockey, St. Thomas is going to be poached by the MVC sooner than later.  Would also help to mitigate the risk of Omaha or Denver jumping ship as well.  Dropping SCSU for Lindenwood doesn't make any sense to me.  Neither does ASU.  If hockey adds anyone in addition to St. Thomas, make it Mankato and get Red Barron to sponsor the conference tournament again in St. Paul.  Drop Miami if anyone, and don't add ASU unless Miami leaves - protect the conf tourney in St. Paul.

• Upvote 2

34 minutes ago, SIOUXFAN97 said:

i know the mvc has looooots of money....but if Northern Iowa was offered summit hockey in exchange for moving their sports to all sports (football, oly, and hockey) summit?  would they do it?

Northern Iowa doesnt have hockey?

9 hours ago, FSSD said:

Football:

Hockey:

Keep NCHC

On 12/3/2022 at 5:56 PM, zonadub said:

Missed the opportunity when the C-USA got hit during the last round. Should have banded together and been a northern (but autonomous) division of C-USA with the Montanas, Idaho, …

Maybe UND could stay in a conference for a few years.

what the NEW "summit" league needs

omaha-add football

st thomas-invite for hockey

northern iowa-add hockey and accept full invite

drop miami and western michigan in favor of st thomas and northern iowa

leverage summit football with missouri state....try to flip them without a hockey offer especially if northern iowa joins

18 minutes ago, SIOUXFAN97 said:

i know...but hockey is very very popular in iowa....they add hockey and join "summit hockey' but move everything else over and you've locked up a nice piece of the LONGER TERM summit stability

Maybe for football, but I don't think UNI has the money or desire to start a hockey program.  They are basketball first and would have to compete with the waterloo Blackhawks who already have a loyal following.

3 minutes ago, nodak651 said:

Maybe for football, but I don't think UNI has the money or desire to start a hockey program.  They are basketball first and would have to compete with the waterloo Blackhawks who already have a loyal following.

would you rather watch the waterloo blackhawks play the mackinock island doves or YOUR Panthers play the FIGHTING SIOUX  on back to back nights in january???????

easy choice

12 minutes ago, SIOUXFAN97 said:

would you rather watch the waterloo blackhawks play the mackinock island doves or YOUR Panthers play the FIGHTING SIOUX  on back to back nights in january???????

easy choice

What I would want doesn't really matter though.  The UNI fan base wouldn't want to risk hurting basketball.  Go to panthernation.com and ask them how they would feel about adding hockey.. guessing you wouldn't be well received.

3 minutes ago, nodak651 said:

What I would want doesn't really matter though.  The UNI fan base wouldn't want to risk hurting basketball.  Go to panthernation.com and ask them how they would feel about adding hockey.. guessing you wouldn't be well received.

the mvc isn't what it used to be...they are expereincing some problems too...

panthernation.com doesn't make athletic decisions...the pres and AD does

still saying it's a long shot but .................WHERES FENTON!!!!!!!!

21 minutes ago, SIOUXFAN97 said:

the mvc isn't what it used to be...they are expereincing some problems too...

panthernation.com doesn't make athletic decisions...the pres and AD does

still saying it's a long shot but .................WHERES FENTON!!!!!!!!

Sure, but I'm trying to say that there is a preponderance of evidence to suggest that the Pres and AD at UNI would not be interested in adding hockey.  They are currently trying to fundraise for a 50 million dollar UNI Dome renovation - they don't have the money.

Fenton is still working on the Summit League's media deal/strategy, and I would think that will play a large role in determining whether or not he wants the Summit League to pursue sponsorship of additional sports.  

7 minutes ago, nodak651 said:

Sure, but I'm trying to say that there is a preponderance of evidence to suggest that the Pres and AD at UNI would not be interested in adding hockey.  They are currently trying to fundraise for a 50 million dollar UNI Dome renovation - they don't have the money.

Fenton is still working on the Summit League's media deal/strategy, and I would think that will play a large role in determining whether or not he wants the Summit League to pursue sponsorship of additional sports.  

ccha hockey no........but nchc/summit hockey YES

10 minutes ago, nodak651 said:

and you forget...hockey makes money (especially if st thomas joins...with them we might recreate the magic the final five had for years with minny and wisco)

56 minutes ago, SIOUXFAN97 said:

and you forget...hockey makes money (especially if st thomas joins...with them we might recreate the magic the final five had for years with minny and wisco)

UNI isn't going to trade having their basketball program in the MVC to start up hockey and join the NCHC/Summit. That's pretty ridiculous.