SiouxSports.com Forum

Conference Realignments - Take 2

The Sicatoka

12 hours ago, bincitysioux said:

Good God, the Summit League is pathetic.......

If Augustana is really the Summit's only plan at this point, then all I can say is you were right all along.  Why go D1 and spend all this money just to associate with schools like that.

• Upvote 1

20 hours ago, The Sicatoka said:

And given all the "moving pieces" how could none of this leak.
Yes, it's just presidents and AD that make the vision calls.
But, office workers do the ground work to make it happen, ... and they leak. 

Mhm. My dad always says(no idea where he heard it) the best proof we have of the moon landing is that no one of any repute ever leaked that it was fake.

33 minutes ago, UNDBIZ said:

If Augustana is really the Summit's only plan at this point, then all I can say is you were right all along.  Why go D1 and spend all this money just to associate with schools like that.

The point is the push the school further in athletics and academics.  If Augustana is willing to do the same, it seems pretty douchey to not associate with them.

If someone is willing to dedicate the necessary resources to come in, compete, and contribute, more power to them.** 

** I think it's fair to question whether Augustana can or is willing to meet those standards.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, UNDBIZ said:

Would you prefer Crookston, Moorhead St., or the U of Mary?!!!  Or would you prefer being in a league with teams in California and/or New Jersey?!!  The D1 teams in our area are what they are.  Just have to deal with it.

1 hour ago, Siouxphan27 said:

California.   

D1 doesn’t really mean anything anymore when everyone becomes D1.  

What's the alternative.  Either we play the D1 schools in our region or we join a conference where we travel across 2 timezones to play schools 5 states away.  We tried the 5 states away conference.  that didn't work.  So this is what we got.  

• Upvote 2

3 minutes ago, Siouxperfan7 said:

What's the alternative.  Either we play the D1 schools in our region or we join a conference where we travel across 2 timezones to play schools 5 states away.  We tried the 5 states away conference.  that didn't work.  So this is what we got.  

I guess we'll just throw a D1 label on some glorified high schools and call it good then.

• Upvote 2

2 hours ago, Siouxperfan7 said:

Would you prefer Crookston, Moorhead St., or the U of Mary?!!!  Or would you prefer being in a league with teams in California and/or New Jersey?!!  The D1 teams in our area are what they are.  Just have to deal with it.

Kinda agree.  I'm against Augie, but there are tiny D1 schools all across the East coast.  Augie isn't really much different than the NEC schools, for instance.  If I was dictator, Augie would be the absolute last resort, but if they end up joining us in D1, it definitely does not make the move up pointless.

7 minutes ago, Siouxphan27 said:

We could’ve stayed in the big sky; things were going well. The travel expense excuse was way overplayed.  

I would much rather be in the big sky right now, laughing at the SU’s and USD while they try to cobble together D2 and D3 schools just to remain a playoff eligible conference.  But instead,  we find ourselves part of this mess. 

If staying in the BSC meant keeping WIH, would you still say that?*

*not saying this was an option but there is still a part of me that thinks that if UND didn’t move, they would have cut other things and kept it.

2 minutes ago, SWSiouxMN said:

If staying in the BSC meant keeping WIH, would you still say that?*

*not saying this was an option but there is still a part of me that thinks that if UND didn’t move, they would have cut other things and kept it.

I don’t follow....

staying in the big sky was considered more expensive; how would that have saved women’s hockey?

• Upvote 1

12 minutes ago, Kab said:

The only hope is a summit with football and part of the big sky

ndsu will leave in a heartbeat if they could go fbs, that’s why I wanted to stay in the big sky 

I also wonder if we would’ve stayed, and now with this news about Fort Wayne meaning the summit needs yet another affiliate to remain playoff eligible, what would the SU’s and USD be thinking?  Would one or more of them be looking to bail and join the big sky?  One of those 3 as a potential big sky travel partner would be a much nicer possible scenario to envision than what we’re facing now.  

• Upvote 1

Time to put the full court press on NMSU to join and then spend the next handful of years grooming and preparing Minnesota State behind the scenes for a transition to D1 and the Summit/NCHC.

These two solve more problems and bring more benefits, both short and long term, than any other options. 

400px-SummitLeagueLocations_2011.png

• Upvote 1

54 minutes ago, Kab said:

The only hope is a summit with football and part of the big sky

ndsu will leave in a heartbeat if they could go fbs, that’s why I wanted to stay in the big sky 

No FBS conference is going to accept NDSU unless they are hurting for a member. There are no FBS conferences that are hurting for a new member from ND. Why would they want to split payouts with another  school? Only way NDSU goes FBS is if a new league is formed or everyone revives WAC FBS. Otherwise it will NEVER happen.

9 hours ago, BisonCardinal said:

UMKC - coming back - check

UNO - staying put - check

Fort Wayne - leaving - check

WIU - staying put - check

UNC - ????

SV's take that the Summit is in crisis because of baseball is an exaggeration.  The NCAA does not give a crap about the smaller leagues like the Summit, Big Sky and Horizon.  All the Summit has to do is present a plan for a couple years here and then another one a couple years later of getting back to the proper number and the NCAA says whatever.  Kind of like the attendance requirement.

This is an actual crisis for the Summit whether the blind faithful at Ag U want to believe it or not. Something needs to be done to stabilize the Summit. 

I agree SV exaggerations are pretty crazy when it comes to FBS WAC conversations, but his concerns about the summit are REAL!

1 hour ago, BisonCardinal said:

Pixie dust Sioux>Bison.  The Summit is  fine.  I doubt the NCAA is all of a sudden going to grow a pair.

The Summit didn’t try to test the NCAA the last time. When ORU left the first time, the Summit then only had five baseball teams.  But suddenly, the Summit got ORU to come mysteriously back after only two years there were six teams again.   The penalty for not sponsoring three men’s teams, or two with football, is the loss of your auto bid.  The grace period was and is two years.

38 minutes ago, BisonCardinal said:

So the Summit doesn't need to get serious about baseball/autobid until 2022, correct?  A lot can happen in three years in college realignment.  I'll take the bet that baseball never becomes an issue for the Summit.

Baseball or men’s soccer won’t be an issue because the new football schools won’t have either.

Men’s soccer is nearly a crisis right now at six, and that with Eastern Illinois as an affiliate.  Add football schools to get rid of both headaches.  Reserve the right for NDSU to add it if the trolls insist.

6 minutes ago, GeauxSioux said:

UNC and Augie

Yes, like it or not both add football and baseball.  Summit is more palatable to UNC with Denver, Oral Roberts and UMKC in it now. I guess I am okay with Augie as long as they guarantee they will become our Loyola-Chicago, Valpo or Butler.

• Upvote 1